cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Design Imagine TT

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
Just came upon this brand of TT. I see that they are part of Winnebago Industries but not much else.

Anyone have any info on these? Own one or know someone?

There is a dealer about 3 hrs away so I'd like to know if it would be worth the drive to check them out.

Thanks
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos
28 REPLIES 28

DB_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
We liked Outdoors and I would prefer to buy from a local manufacturer here in Oregon. We bought the GD because they were more willing to make deal. It wasn't an apples to apples comparison because the GD was and '18 and the Outdoors was a '19 but there should not have been a $9k difference between similar bunkhouse models. The GDs have to be shipped across the country to get to Oregon.

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
That's your opinion. I find it very engaging and helpful.
2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
dmatt wrote:
TBammer wrote:
Whats the reputation of Arctic Fox?

Artic Fox is made by Northwood mfg., a small company in Oregon. They make a quality, 4 season trailer. They make their own frames and suspension. Their owners are very happy with them and loyal. It is difficult to find many used ones. Can you have a problem with one....of course, they are made by humans after all. However, you rarely see the major issues with these that you find on the major brands, like delamination, crappy build that leads to issues over time, roof leaks, etc.

Here is a link to an owner's forum: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f289/

That forms deader than a door nail.
Try here. You can read for free. $20 gets you in the door.
https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/index.php?routestring=forum

Neither forum are anyway near as popular as the GD forum.

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:

Artic Fox is made by Northwood mfg., a small company in Oregon. They make a quality, 4 season trailer. They make their own frames and suspension. Their owners are very happy with them and loyal. It is difficult to find many used ones. Can you have a problem with one....of course, they are made by humans after all. However, you rarely see the major issues with these that you find on the major brands, like delamination, crappy build that leads to issues over time, roof leaks, etc.

Here is a link to an owner's forum: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f289/
2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

DB_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased an'18 GD Imagine and are pretty impressed with how it's finished inside and out. We like the fact that heat ducts are built into the cabinets and not the floor. I'm not a huge fan of the 1k payload and a few minor issues but love the heated recliners. I don't know how I survived all these years camping without heated recliners. Napping is going to be my new hobby.

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:

Your last statement isn't true, it's just opinion.
I've had the same support owning my Northwood Fox.
I needed an issue fixed early on and all I had to do was call NW and talk directly to one of the service guys. I've called several times during ownership and always talked directly to tech or service guys.
I've had NW send me a replacement water pump when mine failed almost two year into ownership.
You can get the same personal service from ORV as well. I think you statement really only pertains to the big MFG's.
Unless you've owned RV's from all the MFG then you can't know about customer service from them. Reading on the net isn't always a good indication of events.

We purchased an ORV last summer expecting good customer service. I've made two calls to the factory about warranty issues, both during business hours, both unanswered and went to voice mail. I left messages each time and never got a return call.
Some people have good experience, some people don't. There's no guarantee until you have to deal with it personally. I like my ORV TT, but am less than pleased with the lack of response from the company. FWIW.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
I own a GD Imagine 2800BH.

GD products are no better or worse than others, using the same **** components and fastest assembly techniques and tricks used across the entire RV industry. This is an RV industry issue, not one brand name or another.

The difference in Grand Design is the design layout, color schemes, and CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

There is no other company that supports owners AFTER the purchase as GD does and continues to do. 2nd to none. For that reason alone, I will always recommend Grand Design and not think twice about buying another Grand Design product.

Your last statement isn't true, it's just opinion.
I've had the same support owning my Northwood Fox.
I needed an issue fixed early on and all I had to do was call NW and talk directly to one of the service guys. I've called several times during ownership and always talked directly to tech or service guys.
I've had NW send me a replacement water pump when mine failed almost two year into ownership.
You can get the same personal service from ORV as well. I think you statement really only pertains to the big MFG's.
Unless you've owned RV's from all the MFG then you can't know about customer service from them. Reading on the net isn't always a good indication of events.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
RinconVTR wrote:
CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

There is no other company that supports owners AFTER the purchase as GD does and continues to do. 2nd to none. For that reason alone, I will always recommend Grand Design and not think twice about buying another Grand Design product.

True, but when those guys started Keystone it was that way for awhile there also, then along came Thor. They bailed eventually, and started Grand Design. It did not take long and along comes Winnebago. As they gain market share, and if they can keep gaining on it, that great customer support could very well go by the wayside, so I would not bet the farm on it continuing forever.

Sooner or later there will be an economic bump, probably sooner rather than later, and the players in the RV Industry with the smaller market share are going to be the first to go down. The RV Industry will be where the fallout happens first as it always has when the economy burps. The ones that come out of the dust when it happens, will be making changes to everything just to survive, and they'll be cutting costs anywhere possible to survive.

Thor and Forest River have around 80+% market share, all the others including Winnebago / Grand Design are scrambling for the crumbs.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
I own a GD Imagine 2800BH.

GD products are no better or worse than others, using the same **** components and fastest assembly techniques and tricks used across the entire RV industry. This is an RV industry issue, not one brand name or another.

The difference in Grand Design is the design layout, color schemes, and CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought one, I was so impressed with the quality, traded in my 13 year old cougar fifth that I had no intention of selling I liked it so much.
I like grand designs attention to their customers, company is run by same guys who initially started keystone, and in 13 years, never had a single issue with my cougar, hoping my new imagine is as good, I liked the fit and finish, nice unit.

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
Best friends own a 2017 GD Imagine. Wife and I have a 2016 Jayco Whitehawk. Both are parked next to each other at the same seasonal CG since new. They have had a leak under the kitchen sink on a supply line and peeling crown molding trim in multiple spots where the factory staples donโ€™t hold. Neither problem was a big deal and both were easily fixed. They also had their a/c unit replaced under warranty, but that is not GDโ€™s problem (Dometic). And yes, we grumble every year about the GDโ€™s lousy hose system design for sucking in the pink antifreeze when winterizing. Other than that, they have been fault-free for 2 full seasons of every weekend use (50+ nights / yr). For comparison, our Jayco is 1 more season older and gets used an additional 25+ nights / yr than their GD. On ours, we discovered a stress fracture on the plastic wheel well cover from our initial tow and a very similar water supply leak under a sink. Theirs looks and feels โ€œnicerโ€ as far as colors and fabrics go. Ours seems a bit less trouble-prone and more functionally designed. As I like to say, Jayco just seems to โ€œget itโ€ when it comes to how things work for my tastes and โ€œdo my ownโ€ maintenance and repairs lifestyle. None of this means one is any better than the other. We all agree there are things in each otherโ€™s TTโ€™s that we would like in our own, but neither couple would trade one for the other.
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Hoping to take the drive this weekend and check then out!
2019.5 Lance 2375

Our camping photos

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There are several Grand Design Facebook pages you can look at. We have a 2017 GD Imagine and are very happy with it. Many people post their problems but few post how happy they are. Factory support after the sale is second to NONE! I'd buy another GD in a heartbeat.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......