cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Guys with generators ....

AutomationIsCom
Explorer
Explorer
First let me start by saying we are actually tent camping this weekend . My wife is determined we do not loose our roots. Anyways, for the love of god, please spend the extra $500 and buy a quite generator and just stop with the Loweโ€™s / Home Depot special. Your an ******* . Love you guys!
32 REPLIES 32

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Grodyman wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I am tempted to make an untoward comment and get this thread closed. How many anti generator threads will there be, it's time to get over it.

My RVing style is automated and it takes electricty for automation to function, at least you can lay on the ground to sleep and maybe you have not been effected by a physical malady that requires you have a bathroom you can reach in seconds, maybe you don't have to have hearing aids to not hear silence.

You have legs and voices, walk over to those who are offending you and trampling your rights and talk to them face to face, don't be a coward and do it here.

Great, now please do everyone around you a favor and buy a quieter generator.
Gman

Thanks for the suggestion, seeing as how you feel it should be quieter, please tell me which one is quieter. Oh! that means you would need to know which of my generators I am referring to. Which one of mine is too noisy for you? Oh yes, now I know, All of them.

You obviously have a loud open frame generator considering you took the time to come to this thread and defend them.
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Grodyman wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I am tempted to make an untoward comment and get this thread closed. How many anti generator threads will there be, it's time to get over it.

My RVing style is automated and it takes electricty for automation to function, at least you can lay on the ground to sleep and maybe you have not been effected by a physical malady that requires you have a bathroom you can reach in seconds, maybe you don't have to have hearing aids to not hear silence.

You have legs and voices, walk over to those who are offending you and trampling your rights and talk to them face to face, don't be a coward and do it here.

Gman

Thanks for the suggestion, seeing as how you feel it should be quieter, please tell me which one is quieter. Oh! that means you would need to know which of my generators I am referring to. Which one of mine is too noisy for you? Oh yes, now I know, All of them.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Solar is the only quiet generator. For internal combustion there's loud inverter and really loud contractor. Just my 2 cents.

I had a buddy who brought bales of hay and made what looked like a chimney around his contractor model. It redirected part of the noise up... Still loud.
It didn't bother him too much. He was going deaf.
It bothered everyone else, me included.
I found someplace different to camp...

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Grodyman wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:

Gman
I run my generators as I see fit. Usually all night, as that is when my largest electrical loads occur. Anyone that chose to camp around me will just have to deal with it, or move.

BTW, I boondock far away from civilization. If I can see you, or hear you, then you have camped too close to me. I hate neighbors, and their petty complaints... It does blow me away though with millions of acres of free camping, how some want to camp on top of others... It is like they are drawn to people.. Probably afraid to be alone.

BTW... My generators are quiet ones. Not to please anyone but myself though. The inverter Hondas are much more fuel efficient than the others, and with my heavy usage, they pay for themselves.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The irony is that because of generator use, campgrounds are often noisier and less pleasant than RV parks! True, campgrounds are often prettier and less densely packed. But it is hard to enjoy the natural environment while listening to generators. (We like to sit outside in late afternoons after a day of hiking.)

And double irony -- although a Honda generator (which is what I have) is quieter than a construction grade genset, it is still not silent. So we never use ours. It is essentially a giant paperweight, riding around in the back of my truck, just in case.

As I often say to my long-suffering DW when we are camped next to a generator, "This is why we go so far to find remote boondocking sites."

Having said all of that, if someone needs electricity for medical reasons, that is a completely different story. And there is no way to know, without asking, which is rude. So we don't ask.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
There are only two kinds of generators, noisy and less noisy. If you are in an RV they are all the tolerable. If you are in a tent they are almost all annoying.

Quite recently someone with a construction grade generator was running it all night. No concern about the tents that surrounded their sight.

Of course the other side is also true. Coming from a tent and canoe background, I expect quiet when I canoe into a remote campsite. If I take that tent to a bluegrass festival, I expect to be up all night.

I have learned that not everyone who camps seeks solitude.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to boondock mostly but I have to admit that a nice RV park is one of the quietest places around. People have power. A lot of them are older. They go inside and watch the news after dinner. Many lights are out by 2100.

I like FS campgrounds and have been visiting them for over 60 years, but Friday and Sat nights can be really loud when the working people build a big fire and stay up telling stories and howling. I like the off season and CGs with few people.

This week will be in Bishop, CA for the 50 th Anniversary of Mule Days. I am taking my TT to camp in the cow pasture and try out our solar package. There will be a lot of people, but they will be the right kind of people and easy to deal with.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Solar is the only quiet generator. For internal combustion there's loud inverter and really loud contractor. Just my 2 cents.

I suppose. But there really is a difference between a mid 50's dB genset that can be drowned out by the sizzling steak on the grill and a 90 dB gen set that only a 747 approaching the runway can drown out.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While I agree there is no silent generator. There is a big difference between a loud contractor model an an inverter model.
I see using an inverter model as trying to be respectful of those around you vs. using an obnoxious contractor model as " I don't care if you are disturbed, It's all about me.
If generators are permitted I'm OK with an inverter models being operated within the rules
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
OP wrote:
please spend the extra $500 and buy a quite generator

Who manufacturers a "quite" generator? Would love to stop bringing my contractor generator to camp with me and get one of those "quite" generators.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
This is a follow up to my first post in this thread and I have to agree with time2roll, that is partially why I suggested walking over to the offending camper and talking to him. Sometimes these folks are really jerks but I'll bet most of the guys using those things don't really understand how horrific it is for us to listen to them. If the offender is just a jerk, well you can vent here but say "I'm sorry guys but I just have to vent, thanks for listening".

And thanks to the respondents here, at least this time the discourse was civilized and not rude.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
X 512 on the use of a contractor's generator

I have a Honda and it is relatively quiet. I still am nervous using it and I always follow the hours of use posted in the campgrounds.

Last week I was up fishing and staying in a tent. There was a guy not far away in a small trailer and he cranked up his "Champion" generator. It was a new one, an inverter type and was also pretty quiet. I have seen these advertised and they are cheaper than a Honda or Yamaha. Shortly after he started it, it started to pulsate as if it had a large load applied. The problem is that this pulsating repeated at 1 or 2 second intervals and continued non stop until he shut it down. That mas more annoying than having a louder gen running. I suppose, it still is "you get what you pay for" when it comes to generators.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch