Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Happijac front bed tie down...Ding!

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all,

Not sure if my issue has been discussed in the past!

I installed Happijac front bed tiedowns because the conflict with the fuel door. And, now I'm not sure if it was a wise decision. The bracket has flexed dinging the corners of the bed...its not big dings but it bothers me...not sure if it get worse with time or stops? Has this happened to anyone else? And, what was the remediation? I hate to now go buy Torklift frame mounted tie downs for the front. I have them on the rear.

IMHO, there should have been a spacer (maybe high density rubber?) for the gap that exist between the bracket and bed corner.
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife
10 REPLIES 10

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem is these trucks no longer use steel in the boxes, just sheet metal. I'd put on the Tork Lift frame mounts with Fast Guns and do away with the HJ. I can access my fuel door in a second plus it acts as a locking gas cap!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Well, you don't need to fab whole new ones. The main problem with the front Happijac tie downs is there is nothing but sheet metal holding them, and they are sheet metal themselves. My old ones I simply welded a piece of fairly light channel (1 1/2 x 5/8) across the two. This has two structural benefits: it resists the upward twist, and stiffens the stamped plate by several times against flexing back. The turnbuckles try to flex them back against the edge of the bed, twisting them upwards at the same time. On their heavy duty option they have a light sheet metal channel bolted on to attempt the same thing, but it isn't as effective as welding, and does not carry the channel out near the turnbuckle hole.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Beagle, that's some very nice fabrication! You have some patience to TIG all of that too.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
DOITHARD wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
The front tie downs aren't that expensive. I'd replace them if it was me, and it was bothering me.

Did you also ding the bed corner prior to the Torklift front tie down installation?

Sorry, that was supposed to be " and if it was bothering me."

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
I have Happijac brackets for the same fuel door clearance issue you mentioned and use Torklift Fastgun tie-downs for ease of use. How tight do you run your tie-downs? I've been using my Happijac brackets for three years, with some pretty major off camber truck/camper twisting, and haven't seen any bending of the front brackets. The spring loaded tie-down shouldn't be over tightened and should be stretching/contracting as needed without bending the brackets.

I believe, I followed the instructions and also have the Fastguns. I have a 2016 Lance 1172...its pretty heavy!
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Patient wife

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
You can reinforce them with a little welding. They are pretty floppy as packaged. In this thread are some pictures of my Happijac tie downs reinforced, and the much stronger version I made for the new truck. It clears the fuel filler door.

My issue with the Torklift is they cantilever a long ways out from the frame, depending on the model of truck and don't have much forward pull.

You are a talented man...what a great job. That's not just a little welding. lol Would you make a pair for my truck ('12 F450) and would be more than happy to pay for the fabrication. Being a TC compadre it would only be fitting to help a firsttime tcer.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Patient wife

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I have Happijac brackets for the same fuel door clearance issue you mentioned and use Torklift Fastgun tie-downs for ease of use. How tight do you run your tie-downs? I've been using my Happijac brackets for three years, with some pretty major off camber truck/camper twisting, and haven't seen any bending of the front brackets. The spring loaded tie-down shouldn't be over tightened and should be stretching/contracting as needed without bending the brackets.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
The front tie downs aren't that expensive. I'd replace them if it was me, and it was bothering me.

Did you also ding the bed corner prior to the Torklift front tie down installation?
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Patient wife

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
You can reinforce them with a little welding. They are pretty floppy as packaged. In this thread are some pictures of my Happijac tie downs reinforced, and the much stronger version I made for the new truck. It clears the fuel filler door.

My issue with the Torklift is they cantilever a long ways out from the frame, depending on the model of truck and don't have much forward pull.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member