cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happijack Swing Out Bolt Removal?

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
One of the bolts on my Happijack swing out arms is starting to stick. It's the bolt where you push up on the nut at the bottom so you can rotate it the jack. I need to get in there and clean it out.

I tried just using a wrench but felt I was putting a ton of strain on the fingers at the top and maybe there was a better way to hold the bolt while I crank off the nut.

I called Happijack and they had no idea how to get the nut off (it's a locking nut.) So I figured I'd ask the smart kids and see if anyone knows. Otherwise I will use some of the tried and true methods! 🙂

Anyone know of a particular method to get it off short of heat, vice grips and manly brute force?

TK
2005 Chevrolet 3500 SRW 4X4 LB/CC D/A
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog
7 REPLIES 7

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's a carriage type bolt and you can turn a few threads, can you tap the bolt outward until it is stopped by the nut or washer and nut? That will give you some more surface area in which to apply another wrench ( clamping jaw type) to keep it from turning. Even 1/8" can make a difference since your biting into the edges and not the domed top.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I do but unless I can hold the bolt it will just spin.
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Do you have an impact gun? Usually an impact will pull a nut off a shaft without spinning the shaft.

Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
I might try and hold it from the top. There might be enough room to get vice grips down by the spring and nut too.

And to Bigfootgrey, I did start with PB Blaster and it did free it up some but it still sticks.
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don’t have these but from pictures it looks like the top of the bolt is round? Try a small pipe wrench. If you’re concerned about stressing the fingers, press and hold the bolt up to disengage the fingers when wrenching.

Otherwise take the bracket off the camper and jack and try penetrating oil from the spring end with the bracket inverted.

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
It didn't. The issue is finding the best way to hold the bolt while I torque on the nut.
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest trying a penetrating oil like PB Blaster first and see if that un sticks it
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.