cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has camper quality gotten any better in the last 10 years?

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 24ft 2011 Crossroads Zinger that we bought back in 2016. Since we got it, we have put around 15,000 miles on it towing it all over the country. Iโ€™ve also spent a ton of time just doing maintenance and repairs on it. When we got it, I had to put a new floor in the rear of it because the previous owner didnโ€™t notice the leaky window seal for year(s). I was shocked at how cheap and shoddy the camper was thrown togetherโ€ฆ..the boards that make up the structure of the floor was some of the worst quality, oddball sized 2x2โ€™s Iโ€™ve ever seenโ€ฆ.only held together with some staples, and maybe a little glue spot here and there. At least I was able to reinforce everything with more wood and make it much more solid.

Then a year later I had to replace the entire front end of the camper because the front marker lights started leaking, and caused the front of the camper to start looking wavey and delaminating. The wooden frame on the front of the camper was the same wayโ€ฆ..the cheapest quality wood you could imagine, just held together with a few little staples.

Not to mention the constant maintenance on all of the calking joints that seem to split, crack, or pull away. Iโ€™m sure the vibration from pulling it down the road, along with the summer/winter temp swings here in Missouri donโ€™t help that.
When I first got out camper, I thought that maybe I just got a lemonโ€ฆ.but the more I read and researched, it seemed like the majority of campers are like that. They are thrown together as quickly and cheaply as possible. I remember seeing that Youtube video where a team of 4 or 5 guys literally throw a 28ft camper together in a matter of hoursโ€ฆ..after seeing that, itโ€™s no wonder my camper is such a maintenance headache. Even my buddies triple axle 43ft luxury toy hauler is starting to fall apart on himโ€ฆ.so itโ€™s not just the smaller trailers.

Soโ€ฆfast forward 10 years. Are they built any better today? Do they use any better construction materials and/or techniques? I know there are a few high end brands like Airstream that are built to lastโ€ฆ..but are most of the standards Thor/Crossroads/Coleman/Jayco etc, etcโ€ฆ.still built as cheap and fast possible? At this point, Iโ€™m not sure if Iโ€™m better off to just keep repairing ours, or get something newer that โ€œmightโ€ not be as maintenance heavy.
15 REPLIES 15

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Use them for a year and chuck them into a compost heap....drive's the economy.

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous TT was a early 20teens and we have been shopping seriously the last couple of weeks for a new one. They look the same to me as far a quality or the lack of it goes.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Customers demand light and cheap. What exactly do you expect to get?
Every year the builder finds a new method to make the camper a bit lighter and cheaper.

There are some with quality. They are expensive and heavy. Still not always perfect.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I think the problem is, people expect home construction materials and construction methods in an RV. They are not, never have been, and I doubt they ever will be.

If you expect a tiny home, just Google the price of one. They built them all the time, there is even a TV show dedicated to them.

RV's are built to a price point. They build what will sell. Materials and construction techniques improve but they are still assembled at a rate and quality level consistent with the selling price.

In general the more you pay the better the product but not always.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
IMO quality is the same as it has always been. Our 2016 and 2018 trailers were the same low quality just different makers and floor plans. We sold them and got a pre recession 2005 model Forest River. I don't know if it makes any difference be pre market crash but is sure seems built heavier duty and is just heavier too ??

I know the manufacturers can not do custom work but I would gladly pay for Marine grade CDX flooring and 1/2" roofing.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Quality is poor.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
imq707s wrote:
We have a 24ft 2011 Crossroads Zinger that we bought back in 2016. Since we got it, we have put around 15,000 miles on it towing it all over the country. Iโ€™ve also spent a ton of time just doing maintenance and repairs on it. When we got it, I had to put a new floor in the rear of it because the previous owner didnโ€™t notice the leaky window seal for year(s). I was shocked at how cheap and shoddy the camper was thrown togetherโ€ฆ..the boards that make up the structure of the floor was some of the worst quality, oddball sized 2x2โ€™s Iโ€™ve ever seenโ€ฆ.only held together with some staples, and maybe a little glue spot here and there. At least I was able to reinforce everything with more wood and make it much more solid.

Then a year later I had to replace the entire front end of the camper because the front marker lights started leaking, and caused the front of the camper to start looking wavey and delaminating. The wooden frame on the front of the camper was the same wayโ€ฆ..the cheapest quality wood you could imagine, just held together with a few little staples.

Not to mention the constant maintenance on all of the calking joints that seem to split, crack, or pull away. Iโ€™m sure the vibration from pulling it down the road, along with the summer/winter temp swings here in Missouri donโ€™t help that.
When I first got out camper, I thought that maybe I just got a lemonโ€ฆ.but the more I read and researched, it seemed like the majority of campers are like that. They are thrown together as quickly and cheaply as possible. I remember seeing that Youtube video where a team of 4 or 5 guys literally throw a 28ft camper together in a matter of hoursโ€ฆ..after seeing that, itโ€™s no wonder my camper is such a maintenance headache. Even my buddies triple axle 43ft luxury toy hauler is starting to fall apart on himโ€ฆ.so itโ€™s not just the smaller trailers.

Soโ€ฆfast forward 10 years. Are they built any better today? Do they use any better construction materials and/or techniques? I know there are a few high end brands like Airstream that are built to lastโ€ฆ..but are most of the standards Thor/Crossroads/Coleman/Jayco etc, etcโ€ฆ.still built as cheap and fast possible? At this point, Iโ€™m not sure if Iโ€™m better off to just keep repairing ours, or get something newer that โ€œmightโ€ not be as maintenance heavy.

Sorry, RV and "maintenance free" do not belong in the same sentence.

Everything you have mentioned that has gone wrong with your RV is due to lack of maintenance.

You can buy a multi-million dollar RV and have it rot out in the same time as a $20K RV if you don't check the caulking, seals and such for water intrusion.

No amount of exotic materials or labor will prevent a RV from leaking.

RVs unlike a sticks and bricks has to be flexible, it bounces, it twists, it must survive potholes, curbs and bad roads, that creates a lot of places that must use flexible caulking and seals..

If a RV was built as rigid as a sticks and bricks you would be breaking structural items so it HAS to be built with flexibility in mind.

That flexibility is a major player in how it is built, what materials they use including caulking..

While you might find some "improvements" in materials, I doubt "workmanship" has improved. To earn a profit, costs must be held closely and the basic place to hold down cost that is controllable by the manufacturer is LABOR.. So, they build on assembly lines, walls, roof assembled on big tables with built in templates and then all are hoisted into place like modules.. It is done fast and efficient, that sometimes leads to quality issues but those are typically resolved in the first yr of ownership under warranty..

If you want a new RV, then find what you like and buy it, don't get caught up in the "better materials" thing, they are all built using same or similar materials, same or similar methods.. But be aware, yearly maintenance (often called "PMs" or Preventative Maintenance)is on you and while not required for warranty it is what makes a RV last a long, long time.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
To get better, they need to dump the Filan siding and use smooth aluminum. To get better, they need to install aluminum roofing. To get better, they need to forgo wood framing and use steel. To get better, they need to stop using MDF anywhere.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some of it is they are hitting a price point.

Much of it is expecting automotive or household quality:
- Autos are produced by the tens of thousands. They have comparatively very little modification from unit to unit. It's far easier to set up quality control.
- Houses...when was the last time you hit big pothole with your house at 60mph?

Sealing is just regular maintenance. Keep things sealed up and it should be good for a very long time. Let things leak and expect it to be trash in 5-10yrs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
dbl post

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I would venture to say that the materials are better but the quality of slapping them together is no different.
Had a 2010 Heartland TT that had a couple issues that were a minor inconvenience to repair myself.
Fast forward 10 years to today and I have an ORV that has been to the dealer for repairs and to the factory for repairs. The ORV cost almost twice as much and has much nicer amenities.

Wouldn't matter if RV's had gold leaf accents on real wood trims inside. The gold leaf would either be on crooked or some of it would be falling off.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Monaco cost $234,000 new in 1998 and it has had very little of the problems many experience now with a new RV of any kind. I expect to get this quality today would cost 1/2 a million. So far and close to 90,000mi it has been good to me and just hope that continues.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Any RV of any price point of any type will become a problem from lack of care/maintenance.
So will a house, boat, vehicle and anything manmade.
Things put together with staples are typical. Just yesterday, while cleaning the dinette area, I had to put 3 screws where staples were pulling out.
As many members have said, โ€œSome assembly required.โ€
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
2020 was a boom year as many families decided to try RVing. I suspect quality was low on most units as volume was more important. 2021 will be interesting as I think the volume will be much lower.