cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hauling dirt/rock with bed rails?

KnowNuthin
Explorer
Explorer
As the title asks, anyone have a good method of hauling aggregate in their pickup without clogging up the bed rails?
2005 2500HD D/A CC LB 4X4 being pushed by:
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic
19 REPLIES 19

Bedlam
I think a BedRug will get torn up in the unloading process more than the hauling process.

https://bedrug.com/bedliners-and-mats

You would be better off with a plastic tray or rubber mat than outdoor carpet.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

KnowNuthin
Explorer
Explorer
I do have a Bed Rug in my truck... their website says itโ€™s good for gravel... anyone haul aggregate material with one of these? Seems tough enough... although I wouldnโ€™t do it on a daily basis...
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I rent a utility trailer for hauling this type of thing. $25 for the day is much cheaper than beating up my truck.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never thought of an extra bed mat. (the first one is cut out for the rails) Great idea. It would be easy to shovel the product out as well without scratching the bed and then roll it up and put it in the shed until next time.
Thanks.
Puma 30RKSS

Bedlam
A fitted rubber bed mat across the entire bottom will protect the rails.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

blt2ski
Glad somebody explained bed rail part! I've hauled an unknown guessable quantity of material in pickups doing landscaping over 40 years.....prefer spray in liner to.protect bed..... Hence why I would not set myself up for a 5w! I've out 3-4 loads of stuff in my bed in a day!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
I've found that tree bark gets built up in them too.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put loose sand in my 2wd for ballast last winter and am now paying the price. Won't do that again without a tarp.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you are referring to the hitch rails, then if it were me I'd put a tarp over them, and like was suggested put a flat piece of plywood down under the tarp for a smooth surface. Shouldn't be an issue. HF has cheap tarps.

Might even pull the rails if it's going to be a several day job with multiple loads. Just depends on how hard the rails are to get out.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

KnowNuthin
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
mich800 wrote:
KnowNuthin wrote:
As the title asks, anyone have a good method of hauling aggregate in their pickup without clogging up the bed rails?

Stake pockets? What in the bed would clog up?
Exactly, what is going to get clogged up? Or are you talking about the hitch rails if you remove the hitch body?

Bed rails are the part of a fifth wheel hitch which are semi-permanently bolted down to the bed of a pickup...

2007 Ural GearUp Arctic

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Even a piece of visqueen will work as long as you donโ€™t beat it up shoveling the material out. As it gets empty you can roll the tarp out of the truck and consolidate whatโ€™s left over.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Just get a cheap tarp, large enough to cover the entire bed.

This is exactly what I do as well when my dump trailer isn't available.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œChevy guys can just dump er in.โ€œ

Not any more, 4x4. We is aluminum too!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just get a cheap tarp, large enough to cover the entire bed.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"