cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help a Newbie, question about gas vs. diesel

cycler
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a fw, approx 10,000 lbs, would a gas engine F250 be practical, or would it be better to go diesel? Remember I said Newbie...thanks, cycler.

This is an added question to my original post:
Worth the extra bucks for 4 whl drive?
61 REPLIES 61

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
MFL wrote:
While the cost does matter to many, when buying a new truck...need and type of most use of truck is what really matters. IMO, gas is fine for many of us towing under 12K.

Just for the record...who is richer/poorer...the man that has/does little, but has a million dollars in the bank, or the man that owes a million, but has everything/does everything he enjoys???

Jerry

Im most cases the guy with money in the bank is doing much more living than the guy in debt up to his eyeballs. I also think some of the happiest people I know have neither money nor debt.

We are trying to mix unrelated issues.
We know money doesn't buy happiness...Right!
There are people with money that live a lot and do a lot. There are people in debt that live a lot and do a lot. They maybe in debt because they do too much..lol on the other hand they are those with fat wallets that don't live much... again their wallets maybe full because they don't live enough.
Either way we are making assumptions on things that are not necessarily related.

At one time we all pulled with gas rigs. And we pulled with gas rigs that were no where near as good as the gas rigs today. There is no comparison to the pulling ease of the current crop of Diesels to gas rigs. But sure a gas rig will to the job adequately within it's tow rating limitations. This could be studied, weighed, analyzed, discussed, argued and beat to death. It only has to make sense to the one paying for the truck, because he/she is the one with their foot on the accelerator peddle and watching the cash flow out of their wallet. I also don't believe in the term overkill, for the most part. I like having way more power than I need. For me, I hope to never pull with a gas rig again. It is just so easy with a Diesel. But for those who want a gas rig, or need to utilize a gas rig for financial reasons, buy your rig and let's go camping...........after all, that's really what this is about right?.....camping?
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
MFL wrote:
While the cost does matter to many, when buying a new truck...need and type of most use of truck is what really matters. IMO, gas is fine for many of us towing under 12K.

Just for the record...who is richer/poorer...the man that has/does little, but has a million dollars in the bank, or the man that owes a million, but has everything/does everything he enjoys???

Jerry

Im most cases the guy with money in the bank is doing much more living than the guy in debt up to his eyeballs. I also think some of the happiest people I know have neither money nor debt.

There are people with money that live a lot and do a lot. There are people in debt that live a lot and do a lot. They maybe in debt because they do too much..lol on the other hand they are those with fat wallets that don't live much... again their wallets maybe full because they don't live enough.
Either way we are making assumptions on things that are not necessarily related.

Do you think there is anything to the saying "big car; big cigar; and no gas?

I think if someone can afford to buy a diesel to pull his 5ver and
the purchase won't affect his plans for retirement or how he plans to spend money in the future he should buy the diesel..... he'll likely really appreciate it. But for those a little less fortunate it is not a real big sacrifice to tow with a little older gas job in order to save a few thousand dollars per year so you can afford to do more later.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
4x4ord wrote:
MFL wrote:

Jerry

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:

Jerry

B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Farmerkev wrote:
Let's really be totally honest here, if you want to get down to penciling money rv's make zero financial sense.
You can camp in a tent one heck of a lot cheaper.
Even better, skip the camping and get a second job, think of the compound interest and extra million that will make.

I don't think there is much value in having an extra million in the bank at age 65 for those who manage their time and money well but I do think that those who manage their money well will exercise a level of self control when it comes to purchasing a new 5ver or truck.
B&W Companion

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shocked that no one has said anything about popcorn and beer!!

OP asked if 4x4 was worth it. For those of us that don't go mud boggin', on a per use basis, it is not worth it. For the few times you get stuck, it's priceless. It is more needed with the diesel because of the much heavier front end weight of a diesel (more or less 700 lbs. more than a gas engine.) I'm sure glad I have it.

Farmerkev
Explorer
Explorer
Let's really be totally honest here, if you want to get down to penciling money rv's make zero financial sense.
You can camp in a tent one heck of a lot cheaper.
Even better, skip the camping and get a second job, think of the compound interest and extra million that will make.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
There are people who find it kind of tough to put much money into savings without a little financial self discipline. Doing without the new diesel in favor of a gasser would not equate to living like a pauper.

Nor does a person driving a gasser Denali equate living like a pauper ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
You go Lantley!! Words of wisdom there.

X2
Langley, exactly what I was thinking, life is a balance of spending and saving!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
4x4ord wrote:
There are people who find it kind of tough to put much money into savings without a little financial self discipline. Doing without the new diesel in favor of a gasser would not equate to living like a pauper.

We all have our own unique budgets. My point is buy the truck you like/want.
Don't buy the gasser simply because it's cheaper and you can save some money if it's not really the truck you want. Don't settle for a gasser just simply to pad your already full savings account if the diesel is the truck you truly want. "It's OK to live a little"
I believe sometimes some of us are frugal for frugal sake. I'm not suggesting one spend money frivolously. But I am saying you don't have to feel you are wasting money if you choose a diesel vs.gas.
The gasser will always be cheaper and for the most part get the job done, but that does not mean taking the gasser savings is always the best decision.
Of course this assumes you can afford to buy a truck.
Correct Trax,Splendide

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W Companion

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You go Lantley!! Words of wisdom there.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
4x4ord wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Dan,

At the end of the day, figure $.50-.75 per mile or more in actual costs of a vehicle. Cost of vehicle, insurance, fuel, tires, maintenance etc. If you can write it off, great, if not, buy what pleases you, you're spending hard earned funds for fun!

Marty

I figure the cost to own and drive a new diesel vs an old gas powered truck is about $3k per year. (Based on 20k miles per year) $3k per year invested in something that earns a 10% return would result in a $172,000 pot of cash at the end of 20 years. That might be a reason enough for some people to make do with an old gas powered truck.

Yes but some are more obsessed with saving than living. The $172K in cash won't tow my RV! I have to spend it to for it to be beneficial.
An old beater gasser won't reliably tow my RV either.
Comparing spending to saving is pointless.
Maybe I should live on the street like a homeless person in order to save more for my retirement? I could sell my house and live in a tent?
My cost of living would go down and I could have more in the bank

What's the point of living like a pulper and having $1 mill in the bank?
If you need/want a tow vehicle buy it. Saving/investing money is a totally different subject that has nothing to do with tow vehicles.
Correct Trax,Splendide