cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help deciding and alumn vs wood frame question

atleif
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to buy my first travel trailer and have narrowed it down to a 2018 FR Wolfpup 18TO black label edition (has upgraded insulation, alumn wheels and some cosmetic upgrades) and a 2018 Outdoorsrv 18DB (backcountry edition which has base camp package). I am kinda torn between the 2. The wolf pup is about 400lbs less,cost about $4,000 less, has a slide and my gf likes the couch and floorplan better than the other one. On the other hand the Outdoorsrv has a solar panel, offroad suspension/shocks, and is a aluminum frame. As a newbie I'm not sure how big of a deal it is to have a aluminum frame vs wood. Will the outdoorsrv last that much longer than the wolfpup assuming equal level of maintenance? I will be living in it for about 6 months of the year in the Oregon high desert at my job roughly May-Oct. Any input would be appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26

atleif
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up getting the 2018 outdoorsrv 18db. I've been in it for a couple weeks now. I would give it 3.9 out of 5 stars so far.

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
There are indeed pros and cons to each type. Wood is an insulator, whereas aluminum tube can have spaces that are not. Bat insulation can settle (if installed poorly) and block foam can be an advantage. Like was stated, aluminum vs wood regarding the roof is a non issue. Jayco's magnum truss is wood and is almost the gold standard in weight strength. But parallel arched aluminum is pretty good also. Stick and tin trailers are the best value per dollar and are very easy and cost effective to repair. Aluminum and fiberglass units cost more per foot to build and can be very expensive to repair. Fiberglass sided units have less drag when towing and thus are generally less fuel consuming compared to stick and tin units. Some of the best made high end models, primarily 5th wheel units, that are definitely cold chambered and rated have wood floors and roofs.

There really is no "perfect" trailer construction. It all depends upon the way it will be used, the amount one has to lay out to purchase, the actual materials and attention to detail, etc.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
However, I agree that wood trusses are not typically the reason a roof is not walkable.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
All Jayco RV's that are 8' wide have a "Magnum Truss" roof. They are all wood, and have a 3/8 plywood sheet top, covered most of the time with a TPO roof material. All 8' wide Jayco whether with aluminum side wall frame or "stick and tin", are built to be walked on.

OP said that the roof is EPDM, NOT TPO
bumpy

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
All Jayco RV's that are 8' wide have a "Magnum Truss" roof. They are all wood, and have a 3/8 plywood sheet top, covered most of the time with a TPO roof material. All 8' wide Jayco whether with aluminum side wall frame or "stick and tin", are built to be walked on.

DutchmenSport wrote:
Just a very general observation: Aluminum framed roofs, especially those that are bowed, are ok to walk on. Wood frame roof's (especially the flat ones), are not recommended to walk on. There are some exceptions, I'm sure, but seems almost all aluminum roof rafter models are walkable. Wood is not.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
atleif wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I'd be more concerned with the material used on the roof? do you know what it is?
bumpy

Here is what I found on the outdoors RV roof : Radiused Crowned Full Walk-On Roof
Exterior Grade Plywood Floor and Marine Grade Plywood Roof Substrate
Laminated Aluminum Frame Slide-Out (All Walls & Ceiling)
wolfpup : One Piece Walkable Decked Roof. EPDM Roof

Thanks for all the input everyone! Leaning towards the outdoorsrv so far 🙂

a rubber roof, I wouldn't buy it myself.
bumpy

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
800 lb ccc is not enough IMO. Water in the tanks weighs 8.3 lbs/gal. Are you going to trevel nearly empty? Loww ccc indicates a lighter build that could prove less durable.

Keep in mind also that the "18" is the box length. Overall length is what you look at in terms of stability with a short wheelbase tug. You should use a properly set up wd/antisway hitch like the Equal-i-zer brand or Blue Ox Sway Pro, V6, right? Keep it at 60 mph or so on the flats, and slow down on long or steep grades.

Edit: 18TO is 1200 lb ccc, not so bad after all. 22'9" overall length.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Just a very general observation: Aluminum framed roofs, especially those that are bowed, are ok to walk on. Wood frame roof's (especially the flat ones), are not recommended to walk on. There are some exceptions, I'm sure, but seems almost all aluminum roof rafter models are walkable. Wood is not.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got a 2003 Fleetwood Prowler Lynx that has the laminated sides and aluminum wall framing with the compressed foam insulation.

Still going strong, zero leaks and zero problems..

I'll go with laminated sided aluminum framed rigs if I ever decide to get a new one.. So far the 2003 still fits the bill and no desire to change.. 🙂

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
As a rule, more cost is a good measure of more options, such as the afore mentioned windows and insulation.

However, floor plan trumps everything.

Also, a lot depends on how long you are going to use it.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both tin and glass. Don't really notice much difference between them. We are most interested in floor plan and weight, so when we find the floor plan we want at a weight that our TV can tow, doen't matter what construction or siding it has. As for roofs, I prefer the really old aluminum roof where you can see the seams and can then keep them sealed. I like the sound of rain on the roof.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

atleif
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I'd be more concerned with the material used on the roof? do you know what it is?
bumpy

Here is what I found on the outdoors RV roof : Radiused Crowned Full Walk-On Roof
Exterior Grade Plywood Floor and Marine Grade Plywood Roof Substrate
Laminated Aluminum Frame Slide-Out (All Walls & Ceiling)
wolfpup : One Piece Walkable Decked Roof. EPDM Roof

Thanks for all the input everyone! Leaning towards the outdoorsrv so far 🙂

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Pros and cons about both...floor plan that fits your needs best should come first.

Especially if the GF likes it more !

Personally, I like the fiberglass sides better, but floor plan trump that.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
That thermo foil sounds like the same stuff many mfgrs put in the roof/floor. More of a gimmick I think.

Just looked at your link. That Wolf Pup only has 800 lbs of cargo storage. To me it's really, really inadequate for long term living.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE