cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP with Honda Generator install.

macdale4
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone put a Honda EU3000 on their truck camper. I have a Lance 945 and the old General gave up the ghost. I'd rather have the Honda over and Onan because of the noise. I just don't know how to vent the exhaust and don't know if it will run cool enough in the generator compartment on the Lance. I plan on converting it to run off of LP like the old generator.
Dale & Eileen
1998 Lance 945 Legend
2011 Ford F-350, dually, 4 X 4
20 REPLIES 20

Stromboli
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I didn't check out how old this thread was before posting.
What did you end up doing macdale4?
2016 F150
Nash 17K

Stromboli
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I think Kayteg has the right idea here and front bumper looks like the perfect place to mount a Eu3000. Once mounted there is nothing to carry or move, also the 3000 is quieter than the EU2000, and definitely quieter than 2 EU2000 running parallel. I also think gas is preferable to propane. If you must go propane then stick with the Onan.
Maybe a good place to start if your considering a front bumper install is the LowPro Lockdown system made for the EU3000.
The LowPro has two interlocking plates, one that mounts to gen, and one you can mount to the front of the truck. They lock together so you can remove it if you ever wanted to.
Very clean looking install Kayteg.
2016 F150
Nash 17K

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie242 wrote:
I like the idea of a front hitch mounted generator, and that is where I would put it. However, I'd probably see if a metal fab shop can make a well vented enclosure for it, just to deter theft, and provide some collision resistance, should someone back into it.

I build my generator rack that it would take smart guy at least 20 minutes to figure out how to unbolt, even if he carries 10 mm extended socket with him.
I was thinking about splash guard and I could manufacture it myself, but solid guard would add to the length and not look too good.
Also at present set my front camera still has decent view over generator, while anything higher would make it useless.

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
Champion makes a 3100 and 3400 watt dual fuel unit, it looks smaller than the Honda.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of a front hitch mounted generator, and that is where I would put it. However, I'd probably see if a metal fab shop can make a well vented enclosure for it, just to deter theft, and provide some collision resistance, should someone back into it.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
The Honda can be converted to propane with an added kit but the engine will run hotter as a result making the task of cooling it that much more difficult in a compartment. Also, the general purpose engines that Honda makes specifically for propane use have slightly lower compression, larger cylinder head studs, and different material in the head gaskets and valve seats to deal with the extra heat. The recommended oil spec is also different as a result. Honda used to make a 3500 watt gas powered gen set made specifically for RV enclosed applications but haven't offered it since the 80s.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
You can also use remote fuel tanks for the 2000 models, easily up to 6 gallons.

You can remote-tank EU2000s to any size tank you want. When I was parked on the desert for over a week I used a 50-gallon truck tank plumbed to mine, I ran power 9 or 10 days without refueling.
It’s much easier to do this with the EU2000 than it would be with the EU3000.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can also use remote fuel tanks for the 2000 models, easily up to 6 gallons.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought Honda 3000 years ago and it is getting "heavier" when I age, but I can still swing it between my legs when I disconnect it at campgrounds.
At home I have one of those $5 furniture moving cart, so I pull the generator with hitching bars from the receiver straight on the cart and roll it away.
I took on fellow member advise and bought one of those 1000 W inverter generators for those times when I might need to charge the batteries without running AC, but problem with smaller generators is refueling.
The 3000 W generator runs whole day and more on single fill up. Big filling hole and gauge next to it makes it a breeze.
I camp next to 5-er where they used a pair of 2000 and when they left on the boat for couple of hr, one generator died, 2nd overheated something, so they return not only to hot trailer, but also to new project.
In final though, when I won't be able to swing 3000, not likely I will be able to climb to camper bed as well, what will put the end to whole RVing.
But that is still over 50 years away as I plan to live 120 😉

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes different sizes can be paralleled. I’ve done it lots of times.

I also went with two 2000s, for the reasons the other guys have. Both together weigh less and you only have to carry 45 pounds at a time. The first time you try to heft an EU3000 you’ll become a convert!
One EU2000 will handle everything but the A/C.
I like the pair of EU2000s enough that I sold my twelve year old pair a few years ago (for $1400!!) and bought myself another new set of them.
For the record, the old ones still worked fine and if I hadn’t gotten full top asking price for them I’d have kept them. I didn’t really need to replace them.

Where to put a generator with a truck camper is an issue that many creative solutions have been created for. I always had a trailer on, so I just put ‘em there.

Propane kinda’ sucks. You need too much of it. Gas is easier and universally available.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jimh425 wrote:
I've read that a few people have tried a 2000, but the 3000 is about double the size and weight, right?

The 3000 is about triple the weight at 131 lbs.

The 2000 is 45 lbs

I went with two 2000s instead of the 3000. You get a higher continuous output with a pair of 2000s.

The nice thing about a pair of 2000s is I will leave one at home when I don't need the A/C. It's rare that I need the A/C.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
csh_2088 wrote:
Two Honda 2000 would take up less room, weigh less and give you a little more power. You could also do a Honda 2000 and Honda 1000.

I don't think unlike generator sizes can be paralleled.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I just put mine on the ground and chain it to something. By putting it on the ground instead of the front hitch the vibration goes away also.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

csh_2088
Explorer
Explorer
Two Honda 2000 would take up less room, weigh less and give you a little more power. You could also do a Honda 2000 and Honda 1000.