cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Helper springs or air bags?

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all - I have a 2019 F150 3.5l EB w/6.5' box, and a 24' Coachmen Apex BH. The rig tows fine and I have good WD, but am considering helper springs or air bags to help with the slight sag I have. I have also read that helper springs can aid in sway control, and I am curious of its validity. I don't have sway issues, but naturally a strong cross wind can lead to some white knuckles.

I would appreciate any opinions from those with experience with either.

Thank you in advance!
20 REPLIES 20

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about 1500โ€™s but when my 3500 is level with with a load I have reached maximum payload.

I doubt that many people have tested this. Thatโ€™s about a 3 inch drop on my Ram 3500, 4200 lb payload. The trucks are made to squat.

Also a WD hitch for a bumper does few things is gets the rig back to level if you are not level, it takes weight off the rear, again if you are not level, and puts some of that weight on the front axle, and it helps suspensions that are near max weight act more normally under load.

So all that is under static load and it you add air bags it complicates the setup. Iโ€™m not sure the sequence that you hook up your camper in with air bags. Is it hookup the camper to the ball. Then air up the bags to level the load, then put in the wd hitch, or is it hookup the equilizer all up and if itโ€™s still not level pump up the air bags, or there probably other ways?

For that reason Iโ€™d probably go with sumo springs or the like, if you have a good hitch like an equalizer.

Just out loud thinking if you air up the bags before hooking up the wd hitch and you donโ€™t load the equalized properly, do you negate the effect of sway control that the equalizer offers?

The other thing that was apparent with me when I owned a Class C motorhome w Firestone ride rites. I would put 75 psi in those bags when flat towing our jeep. That raised the back about 2 inches over level placing more of the loaded weight on the front axle, which made that class c handle ohhh so much better. Also my fancy bike pump works much better and quicker than a compressor for the ride rites.

My Ram is planted towing my fiver. So airbags arenโ€™t needed.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Helper springs and timbrens are full time support. Airbags can be easily adjusted for the load, or no load at all.
You are wrong. You have it backwards
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Slight sag is normal. Most trucks have the rears higher so when loaded they're level or so with the front. You wouldn't want the truck level to start with and load it up. If so the headlights would point up to high.
If it tows fine then leave it.

FWIW the front is more critical. Set the front properly and the rear is what it is. You don't need the rear to be at the OEM height when hitched.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
A properly setup WDH will not cause the rear to sag. You need to put more weight on you bars. Once that's done they need to be parallel with the road. Might need to adjust the hitch head angle to accomplish that.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
My truck came with airbags and it's nice. Looks to be that quick connect tubing so install and repairs would be easy. Truck is a 2002 so with all that years of slop and free play in parts it's hard to tell if the truck tows different.

Nice to pump them up if getting a heavy load in the back. It's fun hitting the drain and pump button.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Spend $20 at a CAT scale to adjust that WD for 100% front axle weight restoration (despite what Ford recommends).
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just let it sag a couple inches and not give it a thought.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
The volume of air required in air bags is very , very small . I have used a manual bicycle pump to blow up my bags , takes less than 30 seconds . No need for an installed compressor system at hundreds of dollars . My neibor spent about $500 for his system and is so proud of it , only ran his truck payment up $ 16 per month for seven years !! I need the exercise and the five hundred dollars !

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I use Sumo's from etrailer.com which work just like Timbrens on the wifes 1500 chevy 4wd bcrew cab short bed and a 10k car hauler with 9400 lbs on the trailers axles. The loaded trailer adds about 1060-1000 lbs on the back of the truck.
I wouldn't say helper springs can help eliminating in all sway issues but under certain problems they could help.....such as a sag issue.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just go with Summo or Timbrens. I prefer Summo's myself.
Both will sit an inch or so above the axle so the unloaded ride remains the same. Unlike bags where you need 5psi in them On a lighter weight 1/2 ton even 5 psi can affect the ride.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itakethe5th2011 wrote:
If price is no object, air bags would be the best way to go. The problem with air bags, you will need a air compressor, a controller in the cab, (to adjust the bags hight) and the air bags with mounts. Then you have to hook it all up. I removed my bump stops and installed Timbren Suspension System. It took less than a hour to install. The bottom of the timber sits one inch above the axle so it will not change the ride of my truck. Once I load the 5th wheel, my truck squats a little over a inch. It is more stable side to side and no maintenance required.

You don't "need" anything but a basic airbag kit and there is zero maintenance required. You musnt have had airbags before.
Although a little compressor or even a decent bike pump is handy to air down after you drop the camper for bobtail driving.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Itakethe5th2011 wrote:
If price is no object, air bags would be the best way to go. The problem with air bags, you will need a air compressor, a controller in the cab, (to adjust the bags hight) and the air bags with mounts. Then you have to hook it all up. I removed my bump stops and installed Timbren Suspension System. It took less than a hour to install. The bottom of the timber sits one inch above the axle so it will not change the ride of my truck. Once I load the 5th wheel, my truck squats a little over a inch. It is more stable side to side and no maintenance required.

Having a fully automated system is nice but not needed. Run the valves back to the rear bumper and use a bike pump. Unless you are airing them up and down several times a day, it's not a huge imposition. They don't hold a lot of air. You still have to worry about leaks over time.

That said, we went with sumosprings on our F250. 1 bolt per side. Biggest issue was getting the old rusty bolt out. On a newer truck without rust, should be a 15-20min job.

They are progressive, so unloaded, they don't create a harsh ride.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
C.B. wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
I have had very good results with Timbrens. They make a kit, FR1504E, for your truck and you can remove the supplied spacer to adjust the ride.

Ditto:

Timbrens work great on my F-350. No messing around with air compressor.

C.B.

x3

I probably have a little less than 1" of space between the Timbrens and axle unloaded, and it settles down with a heavy load. I think it improves the heavily loaded ride quite a bit without being overly harsh. About $200 and zero maintenance.

On a Ram 2500 specifically they also ride outside of the coil springs so they effectively widen out the suspension on the axle.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Quick and inexpensive. Find an old fashioned spring shop and have them add a leaf. It will raise your unloaded rear ride height.