cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch on the back and transporting a canoe

vthoms
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 21ft Flagstaff Shamrock by Forest River Hybrid Travel Trailer.

Last year some friends gave us a Bike carrier that is hitch mounted, to add to our trailer. Their trailer came with one, or they spent the $$ to put it on the new one.

When my kids were little we just tucked the little bikes inside the trailer. There was only my big bike and the kids little bikes. Now that they are getting bigger and their bikes are bigger I'd love to mount this bike carrier.

The problem is, it doesn't have a hitch in the back of the trailer and the tire is actually right where the hitch would go. Are there alternate places to store the spare or would you not recommend putting a hitch on the back.

I'd also like to get a canoe or a kayak, but my husband has said there is no where to put it.

We are towing with a 2003 GMC Safari Van with AWD and it has a roof rack but I was told it is purely decorative.

So two questions, How or would you mount a hitch on the back of your Hybrid TT, and how would you transport a canoe.

My kids would prefer we got a "real boat" that they could take water skiing but that would involve buying a second tow vehicle as our car would not tow a boat, nor would I want it to. Taking two vehicles which would also limit where we go, keeping us fairly local.
5 REPLIES 5

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carrying the canoe on the van shouldn't be too much of deal. It might get old however lifting it up there all time...

Here is a photo from google search of someone hauling a canoe with their van...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
your hybrid has an ultra-light frame with a cheaply welded bumper that will fail if you attach a loaded bike rack to it.

the only solution is to have a receiver welded AND braced to the trailer's frame. normally this mod would void the frame's warranty but yours has probably expired. so, have it down by a professional shop.

a roof rack on the van is the only logical solution for the canoe.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JSGlow
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't personally add a bike rack to the back of my trailer. Too much bounce in my mind. Have heard stories where bikes were lost presenting a serious highway hazzard. Canoe/kayak on top of the tow vehicle is standard operating procedure. Several manufacturers make nice racks. My Thule allows our canoe to ride above the standard Ford Explorer factory rack.
JSGlow
John, Stacey, Sarah, and Jack
2002 Ford Explorer (EB) 4.6L V-8, 3.73
2004 Antigua 215sso
1999 Starcraft Starfire 160DC

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know you need to remove the spare to have a receiver welded to the frame, so the spare would need to go in the van. You could also put a receiver on the front of the van, or get one of the bike racks that goes on the front of the HTT, over the gas tanks I believe. Which means you have to get it and the bikes out of the way before setting up the front bunk. I've not seen one in person so I don't know how much hassle it is.

The only place to carry a canoe is on the roof of the van, I'd look into having either a Yakima or Thule rack added to the roof. The foam blocks PapPappy mentioned, while they work, are not worth the effort. They slide around some and work themselves loose. When I've used them I needed to stop occasionally to re-tighten and or readjust them. I'd not use them for anything other then short trips. Adding a rack system can get a bit pricey, I would imagine the boat loader would be even more so.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Your van should handle the canoe without problem. You can buy foam pieces that fit on the canoe, to sit on the roof of the van...then get cargo straps to hold it in place at front and back.

I have yet to see a roof rack that was "just decoration"? Usually they will do something, but if you go with the above system, it won't matter.

There is a rack that will hold a fairly good size boat on the top of the van, and you can rotate it down to take it off when you get where you are going....may hold a 14-16' aluminum boat. You'll have to find a place for the engine, but that size boat, with a 20-30 HP engine will pull a youth water skier:) I'm sure someone will have the name of that boat rack? Just found it, Boatloader.com

You may be able to have a receiver hitch installed on the front of the van, for the bike rack. Other option would be to store the spare tire somewhere else in/on the trailer (maybe under the bed?) and then mount the bike rack on the back.

Personally, I don't like having stuff ont he back of the trailers, because you can't really see if there is a problem back there, while you are driving (unless you get a rear view camera mounted on the TT)...and may end up at the CG with a few less bikes:S

Good luck.
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets