Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda2000 in an Onan compartment

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey guys.

Any one on here know if a Honda E2000 will fit in the compartment of a TC, that has one for an optional Onan. Without to Onan in there, of course.
Also, does anyone run their Honda while in that compartment? If so, added a plug so you don't have to pull the shore power cord over to it?
(If I was being specific, I'm thinking of a BF 10.4 or 10.6 or N.Lite 10-2)
*Though my thinking is compartment size. I suppose I should ask about door size as the Onan might have been "built in" and the door is only for access.....:S
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.
39 REPLIES 39

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
msiminoff wrote:
I installed a Honda EU2000i in my TC's generator compartment 13 years ago, and it has been quietly purring along in there ever since...
Goodby Onan, Hello Honda

Then I added a tri-fuel kit so I can run it on propane (also removed the auxiliary gasoline tank):
Onboard EU2000i... now on propane

And I went through some effort to keep noise & vibration to a minimum;
Silencing the silent

Cheers,
-Mark

Boy Mark, that's a nice job. Thank you for posting the links. They've been bookmarked for the future.
Questions, if I may:

-SS tube TIG'd onto the exhaust pipe?

-Did you find the heat coming off the TIG'd on tube melted/damaged the hole it's going through? Or did you pack it with refractory wool or??

-Are the fans plugged into the gen direct, so they kick on when the gen starts or are they powered via the house 12v and on a switch?

- Do you think lining the compartment with something like Dynamat would be worth the effort to further the sound isolation from getting inside the camper?

Again, thanks for posting!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Mark did a very nice job in his Honda swap . If you notice he extended the exhaust up the side of the camper to above the roof when using gasoline as the fuel . I don't think it would be wise to just stick a stock gas Honda 2000 in a generator compartment and run it there .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Mark - I remember the threads after re-reading them, and especially the "you're gonna kill yourself" comment in the first one ... but I do recall thinking "anyone who uses clecos for the mockup has done stuff like this once or twice before" ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a Honda EU2000i in my TC's generator compartment 13 years ago, and it has been quietly purring along in there ever since...
Goodby Onan, Hello Honda

Then I added a tri-fuel kit so I can run it on propane (also removed the auxiliary gasoline tank):
Onboard EU2000i... now on propane

And I went through some effort to keep noise & vibration to a minimum;
Silencing the silent

Cheers,
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighatnohorse wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Page 7 in the manual

manual wrote:
If you run the generator in an area that is confined, or even partially
enclosed area, the air you breathe could contain a dangerous
amount of exhaust gas.
Never run your generator inside a garage, house or near open
windows or doors.

"You can lead a horse to water. . ."
I wonder who would buy a used camper with that type of set up. Good luck.

Who's buying what used camper???
Good luck with what????

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighatnohorse wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Page 7 in the manual

manual wrote:
amount of exhaust gas.
windows or doors.

Fortunately, the cabinet isn't big enough for me to climb into and hang out in. And as a bonus, I've collected enough common sense points to know when and how to close a window. :C

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geo*Boy wrote:
Burt, these people have a nice propane conversion, https://hutchmountain.com/.

Thanks for the link, but I prefer to run on gas. More convenient, and saves my Propane for the TC and the portable fire pit. :C

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
srschang wrote:
Wow, i know the exchange rate is in our favor, but the MORryde tray is $130 from Amazon here!

https://www.amazon.com/MORryde-145-202-SP60-043-Sliding-Battery/dp/B007HRQCE2/ref=psdc_15720021_t1_B007HRQCPQ

Ah! Must have been a different model that came up when I searched! That price is a bit better! And more in the "why DIY when it's cheaper to buy" price point. Thanks!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:

How timely.
You can tell citizens to not socialize personally, wash their hands and wear mask, they create pandemic of Century anyway.
But who is counting morgue clients?

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Page 7 in the manual

manual wrote:
amount of exhaust gas.
windows or doors.

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Burt, these people have a nice propane conversion, https://hutchmountain.com/.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
Wow, i know the exchange rate is in our favor, but the MORryde tray is $130 from Amazon here!

https://www.amazon.com/MORryde-145-202-SP60-043-Sliding-Battery/dp/B007HRQCE2/ref=psdc_15720021_t1_B007HRQCPQ

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dirtdauber60 wrote:
When I get thru with Hurricane Hanna restoration I'll post some pictures of a 4000w remote start Champion inverter generator mounted in my generator compartment. Remote mounted fuel tank and exhaust extended out of compartment and routed under camper to other side. Works like a dream. Quieter than the Genercrap and no fumes.

Wow! THat sounds pretty deluxe! Would love to see pics of that!

So sorry to here about your hurricane damage. I can only hope you didn't lose anything important and perhaps the damage was something that was in need of reno'ing anyway and now insurance will cover it.
Acquaintances had just finished an addition and house reno when a wind storm dropped a massive tree on the new part and wiped it out. Turns out they actually were sort of dissatisfied with it, so a stroke of luck in the end.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
Bert the Welder wrote:

Thanks Jim.
Was the plywood try to raise the floor of the cabinet up to get it at the level of the bottom lip, allowing for ease of sliding the gen in and out? Or something else?

I have a 3/4" piece of plywood on the bottom of the compartment to clear the bottom lip. Then I have a tray of 1/4" with some edges so I can slide the generator part way out of the compartment and turn it so I can reach the pull cord. My camper is a Northstar Igloo. Northstar actually redesigned this camper so that for the new version the generator compartment would be on the other side and the pull cord would be facing out.

Thanks Jim. That sound like a good way to go. Pretty nice to see a manufacturer respond to a small nuance like and make a change.I'd say that's a mark of a good company. Small stuff like that can go a long way. Like going from our Mazda 5 to an Audi SQ5. 4 wheels and goes from A to B. But gosh dam, when you sit in it and everything just feels good and "feels" right, boy it makes A to B much more enjoyable. And that will also be the psychology I'll be using on my Mrs. when it comes to which version of the new F350 DRW we choose! ๐Ÿ˜› :B