cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host Mammoth Triple Dog Dare Challenge Report

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
This article reviews the Host Mammoth by the Host General Manager.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/host-industries-triple-dog-dare-challenge-report/?utm_source=ma...

Kind of a weird concept with credit to Truck Camper Magazine, but I found this version by Host pretty good. For those of you who don’t know, Host is never in Truck Camper Magazine. Host isn’t an advertiser.

The comments are also interesting. I like to read comments whenever there are any for all types of articles. Whether you agree or disagree, I find comments pretty entertaining.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
23 REPLIES 23

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
That's the brainwashing page I was referring to.

Comparing a noreflective product to a reflective product based solely on R value doesn’t help you decide how the products will perform. R value is not the only consideration with respect to Reflectix. That’s why its reflective properties are mentioned.

I do know that Reflectix works really well for temporary use for windows because I use it. DW made a roll bag and we simply roll up the window coverings in the AM if we want lgiht. The product is light and easy to store or easy attached with velcro.

Whether it is the best for your use is up to you to figure out, but use more than R value.

R 1.1 still is some insulation. I think you can compare it to multi-folded newspaper, where for reflection you can use cooking foil.
My point is that the manufacturer is posting specifications that don't apply to the product.

Reflectix resists thermal transfer in 2 modes: conduction and radiation.

The conductive resistance between solid surfaces is R value, easily measured, and has a standard definition for performance. If you put reflextix under your mattress, R value is all you get.

When at least one surface of reflectix "sees air" radiation is resisted. This is hard to measure, and is dependent on temperature, humidity, distance and color of absorbing object (clothes or skin). For covering windows in hot or cold weather, it reflects most radiated heat back and improves radiant comfort. How much? Depends on conditions. That's about all you can say with truth in advertising.

I post this to further explain to others how the product works, not to convince the OP of anything.

OP, do your own performance tests and let us know as others have.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We use removable reflectix sheets on all the windows in the cold and it works great. I need to do something under the bed for cold weather. It got REALLY COLD in the C/O when it was 6* out.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:

Comparing a noreflective product to a reflective product based solely on R value doesn’t help you decide how the products will perform. R value is not the only consideration with respect to Reflectix. That’s why its reflective properties are mentioned.

I do know that Reflectix works really well for temporary use for windows because I use it. DW made a roll bag and we simply roll up the window coverings in the AM if we want lgiht. The product is light and easy to store or easy attached with velcro.

Whether it is the best for your use is up to you to figure out, but use more than R value.

R 1.1 still is some insulation. I think you can compare it to multi-folded newspaper, where for reflection you can use cooking foil.
My point is that the manufacturer is posting specifications that don't apply to the product.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bedlam
See this link for insulation values and application of Reflectix:

https://www.reflectixinc.com/about-reflective-technology/performance-information/

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Since it come as side topic - I am on the market for thin insulation to cover windows in my Sprinter bus for RV use.
Check Reflectix and their data sheet give R-value for the air space the sheet traps, when I don't see R value for actual product.
Customer brainwashing comes to mind.
I am more inclined to use FOAMULAR 150 insulation, who gives actuall R5 in 1" thickness.
Food for thoughts.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Hemi Joel wrote:
MikeJinCO, I read online that there have been some toilet recalls due chronic smells. You might want to check into it.

Yep, I heard this too from a pal with a Dometic toilet in a 2018 Eagle Cap - check with Dometic...

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
MikeJinCO, I read online that there have been some toilet recalls due chronic smells. You might want to check into it.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Electric mattress pad. Nice and toasty up in the bedroom on a cold night.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
The Reflectix is a really good idea as we can leave it in there. Last winter we spent a week putting the alu/bubble insulation and 1/2" foam in every place we could get it. I need to make a another attempt at the entry step.

On the truck ours is a 2006 so the 10.9k GVW with 1/2 fuel and water we are about 13.1, we have one trailer(single axle) without brakes so it will get them this spring.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We put Reflectix in our Heki skylight and windows at night. Also, we lined our cabinets and put it under our mattress. It helps a lot.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
MikeJinCO wrote:
We have a 2016 Mammoth. It is the greatest thing going for living in, you can hold a dance in it, and we have had dinner for 6 easily.

But, there are a couple of negatives. First the heating/cooling distribution is terrible. Neither heat or cooling get back to the bed area without an auxiliary fan. The other truck campers we have had(4) were not good at this, but it is worse. We have an ongoing problem with black tank/grey tank odors and Host hasn't been much help, I'm about to modify the black tank vent as it comes out the side of the slide and the bath sink water trap(which appears to go to the black tank) can easily be over pressured by a cross wind. I've never found the grey tank vent(haven't been on the roof that much). Finally it is barely 3 season capable, Our latest trip home from the midwest in 20-30 degree temps we found that by putting a very lightweight down sleeping bag into the Heki hatch opening(remove when traveling)and stuffing some extra blankets into the entry step and around the draft coming in by the rear slide motor we could help the situation.

We are in full winter now at single digit temps at night and about 18" of snow, so trying to figure out some solutions will wait until warmer weather.

We did lose a slide motor in Maine last summer, had to remove it to get the slide in then strap the slide shut to get home to Colorado(fortunately the kitchen side). The motor was about $1200 + installation). That was a bit inconvenient, but turned out to be not as big a problem as it sounds.

BTW my truck is a GMC 3500 dually with some HD(not factory springs) and a Helwig sway bar, cross winds and sway are not much of a problem. I'm unwilling to pull my closed car trailer at about 5000lb and a 40" hitch extension as with the mountain passes around here that would be pushing the rig right up to the edge of safety.

It's always good to here an honest review by ones that use there TC alot..Thank You
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 Mammoth. It is the greatest thing going for living in, you can hold a dance in it, and we have had dinner for 6 easily.

But, there are a couple of negatives. First the heating/cooling distribution is terrible. Neither heat or cooling get back to the bed area without an auxiliary fan. The other truck campers we have had(4) were not good at this, but it is worse. We have an ongoing problem with black tank/grey tank odors and Host hasn't been much help, I'm about to modify the black tank vent as it comes out the side of the slide and the bath sink water trap(which appears to go to the black tank) can easily be over pressured by a cross wind. I've never found the grey tank vent(haven't been on the roof that much). Finally it is barely 3 season capable, Our latest trip home from the midwest in 20-30 degree temps we found that by putting a very lightweight down sleeping bag into the Heki hatch opening(remove when traveling)and stuffing some extra blankets into the entry step and around the draft coming in by the rear slide motor we could help the situation.

We are in full winter now at single digit temps at night and about 18" of snow, so trying to figure out some solutions will wait until warmer weather.

We did lose a slide motor in Maine last summer, had to remove it to get the slide in then strap the slide shut to get home to Colorado(fortunately the kitchen side). The motor was about $1200 + installation). That was a bit inconvenient, but turned out to be not as big a problem as it sounds.

BTW my truck is a GMC 3500 dually with some HD(not factory springs) and a Helwig sway bar, cross winds and sway are not much of a problem. I'm unwilling to pull my closed car trailer at about 5000lb and a 40" hitch extension as with the mountain passes around here that would be pushing the rig right up to the edge of safety.

tmartin000
Explorer
Explorer
HOST says more than 95% of the owners of the Mammoth use a HD 3500 to carry their camper. The newer trucks are 14,000 GVWR versions.
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172