cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how do dey do dat ?

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Commercial on television where they make your trailer " disappear " .and while I have your attention , how much does that fancy tailgate on GMC cost ? I ain't gonna buy anything but a Ram Tradesman , I m just curious !
29 REPLIES 29

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
Tailgate half the cost of Cummins?!
Cummins on my '17 was somewhere around $11,000 option.

$5,500 for a tailgate??

My friend has a 16 or 17 F350. His tailgate was stolen off his truck in his driveway ($70,000 truck and no tailgate lock...???). Insurance paid over $6000 to replace it (paint included). And a Cummins upgrade doesn't cost $11K, but even if it did, some tailgates cost at least half that much.

Read the window sticker on any Ram H.O. Cummins. $11,000+ option.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
FlatBroke wrote:

Have a friend that was helping a guy hook up. Latched hitch. Driver ask if he was sure. He said โ€œhell yes, get going. Yep, destroyed his bed.

Yep, only time we've had any issues is when friends/strangers help out.

Spotter is a bit of a misnomer...She's in charge while backing and I'm not allowed to move unless I can see her in the mirror. I only have the authority to hit the brakes if something doesn't look right.

This is what works for us. I don't move if I can't see her. If she steps out of view, I stop. A good spotter can see things that the driver cannot possibly see.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
OK I watched it on YouTube, that truck has 15 cameras and at least one is on the trailer.

Ya, they don't let that little bit of info out of the bag in the commercial!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
Don't really know exactly how it is done, but there still idiots out there that will try backing one up without a spotter, and will run all over something or someone.

Drove a truck for more years than i want to count. Backed up a trailer literally thousands of times (PER YEAR). I can count on one hand the number of times there was a spotter.
Same here, but we aren't the norm here.

My wife knows her job is to stop me before I hit anything that might puncture the roof.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
bid_time wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
Don't really know exactly how it is done, but there still idiots out there that will try backing one up without a spotter, and will run all over something or someone.

Drove a truck for more years than i want to count. Backed up a trailer literally thousands of times (PER YEAR). I can count on one hand the number of times there was a spotter.

A truck driver is trained to get out and look when in doubt. I drove this for 3 years in the late 70's and hardly ever had to climb down to walk back and look.

Would you like me to post some videos of "professional" drivers?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:

Father in law was a truck driver for many years. No spotter, no camera. I rarely use a spotter when I back up. I look at my site and find my obstacles, then avoid them.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
NJRVer wrote:
Tailgate half the cost of Cummins?!
Cummins on my '17 was somewhere around $11,000 option.

$5,500 for a tailgate??

My friend has a 16 or 17 F350. His tailgate was stolen off his truck in his driveway ($70,000 truck and no tailgate lock...???). Insurance paid over $6000 to replace it (paint included). And a Cummins upgrade doesn't cost $11K, but even if it did, some tailgates cost at least half that much.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
FlatBroke wrote:

Have a friend that was helping a guy hook up. Latched hitch. Driver ask if he was sure. He said โ€œhell yes, get going. Yep, destroyed his bed.

Yep, only time we've had any issues is when friends/strangers help out.

Spotter is a bit of a misnomer...She's in charge while backing and I'm not allowed to move unless I can see her in the mirror. I only have the authority to hit the brakes if something doesn't look right.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the docks the spotter was called ' the monback '.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
Johno02 wrote:

Thank you. IMHO, the best thing for the spouse to do to help parking in CG is make sure other traffic especially kids know you are backing up.

valhalla360 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

Are you trying to insult me? I think of a "spotter" as just something else not to run over. Mostly I just call them "Onback"
Every time I asked a driver how a truck got damaged I heard "On Back, on back, on CRUNCH"
And never once has a onback ever offered to pay for damage.

Well there's your problem...don't use random strangers as spotters.

Every time a truck was damaged by the onback, I assumed I had failed in training. The spotter's job was to tell the driver where the load should be. Driver, and driver alone is responsible to get the load there. Same as in a CG.
Most times I have heard driver tell spouse to stay where she can be seen in mirror. That puts her in the back watching the rear. Driver watching her, and that side. Nobody is watching the front of TV, the other rear corner of TV or the other side of trailer. Better you learn to move head watch all your vehicle, I'll watch your wife.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
Johno02 wrote:

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Not sure how useful it is in real life but nifty technology.

Any back up camera is useful, whether real life or fake life.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
Johno02 wrote:

A truck driver is trained to get out and look when in doubt. I drove this for 3 years in the late 70's and hardly ever had to climb down to walk back and look.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer camera is hard wired. For it to work, it has to be mounted in a specific spot about 4 " above the level of the tailgate camera. Might work on a door if there is space with it folded down. Flatbed or a boat you would need to rig up some sort of removable mount.

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/electronics/2020-silverado-2500-invisible-trailer-camera-auxiliary-trailer-camera-models-with-cwm-pdm-uvn/84876818-p-92305265.html