How many folks want an EV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

How many folks want an EV?

Would you plan on towing with it?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
33 REPLIES 33

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd consider one at around $10,000, same as what I paid for our last passenger car.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
No thank you to having an EV and I especially don't like how the government is forcing them on us.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
All our vehicles are paid for, are well maintained, and until there is a really good reason to swap them out for an EV, ainโ€™t gonna happen. I have no real issues with EVโ€™s other than cost and ability to be towed four down. 99% of our daily driving is well within most EVโ€™s advertised capabilities, and charging at home would suffice.

I wonder what age groups the EV proponents have tested the electronics with. With many seniors not being able to work new smart phones, smart TVs, canโ€™t deal with steaming services vs basic cable I see a bunch of frustrated drivers.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
EV? Absolutely not. At least not until I know I can get a full day of driving under my belt (traveling), so the range will need to be well in excess of 400 miles. Also, not until the infrastructure is in place to make charging as readily available as buying gasoline.

Now, a hybrid, that's a totally different story, and I'd by one in a heartbeat.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Well give me 450 miles with the heater or A/C running, and a competitive total cost of ownership and yes. For the past 5 years, I make two 424 round trip mile journeys to NJ each month to visit my MIL. The nursing home does not have a charger, and it is my only stop for more than 5 minutes. The Honda CRV and the F250 (with aux tank) can get the job done. I will keep making the trip until I or my MIL pass. Sometimes I miss a trip, but not often.

I am the one that thinks EV's are a dead end. The path forward is stripping CO2 using amines from the air (just like subs, or cleaning CO2 from natural gas), then use U of Pittsburgh catalyst to make carbon monoxide, split hydrogen out of water, and use the Fischerโ€“Tropsch process to make gasoline and diesel. Look for it to come to a Ford class carrier near you. After all, a gallon of jet fuel delivered to a carrier at sea has gotta be expensive. The fuel produced, will just blend in with the rest.

This is also a storage scheme for renewable power from solar and wind. I think the cost of this method will make it work.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
not for us. or not till they,ve been around for another ten years.when china runs all EV,S then I,ll buy one.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
zjtins wrote:
The all use CVTs which only last about 100k miles, then $5k to replace.

CVTโ€™s in electric vehicles? Which ones.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
zjtins wrote:

Sorry but they don't. No transmission at all on Tesla's and most other EVs. The motor is geared straight to the drive wheels. No gear changes, ever. To reverse it you change the current flow to the motor. Maybe you are thinking of hybrids but not all of them use CVT's either.

I own a Tesla Model Y. We really like it. We have towed with it some but it isn't rated for the trailer that I tow the most. So far traveling hasn't been a problem and Tesla is building more chargers every day.

If I had a Cybertruck I would tow with it but I haven't reserved a place in line so that is probably 5 or 6 years out. I probably won't need one by then.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would consider it when they become affordable, dependable and capable; not there now and I donโ€™t see it happening any time soon - despite the โ€œmandatesโ€ currently being demanded. Mandates are just as easy to change as when they were first thrown down, just as soon as it becomes expedient to decide a โ€œchangeโ€ is needed to keep your cushy perks coming.

Sorta like prohibition, things have a way of evolving.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
We have one vehicle (see signature) and full time. And we're 75 years of age.
I have no desire to own an EV and don't ever plan to own one.
If all the current vehicles were EVs, then the problem would become how to charge them all. And how long will it take for all electric production to be "green"? And at what cost?
At 75 you are good to go as you are. ๐Ÿ˜‰

zjtins
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Today's EVs would be perfect for the wife. 250 miles is plenty. But her 2018 Equinox is too new.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We have one vehicle (see signature) and full time. And we're 75 years of age.
I have no desire to own an EV and don't ever plan to own one.
If all the current vehicles were EVs, then the problem would become how to charge them all. And how long will it take for all electric production to be "green"? And at what cost?
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'll consider an EV if, the price comes down and the batteries are cheaper or the manufacturers have a reasonable battery lease program.
It would be a DD andI would not use it for towing.