cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to back up trailer- Aerial View

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found this on YouTube- Thought it may be handy to visualize how the trailers are moving while making maneuvers and backing.

This is an arial view of a tractor trailer turning and backing. The first 6 minutes are so are with the tandem axles in their most forward position... While still further back than most TT and Fivers it is closest to demonstrating how our towable RV's move while backing and maneuvering.

Note: The 90 degree turn is displayed and you can see the trailer tires scrubbing sideways... This may help people see how effective it is to get to 90 degrees with a truck and fiver.

Video Link

The music is terrible (like elevator music) so you may want to hit mute.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
10 REPLIES 10

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

There's a bid difference between a 53' van and a 40' 5th wheel. I have never had a time I needed 90* to put my 5th wheel anywhere and that is including spots that are 90* to the drive.The 280" wheel base on the tractor in the video also makes a difference in the need of 90*.

And then there's the one early comment that's off-topic and totally unnecessary.

Good video!

How is it off topic? I drive semis too and believe me when I say they the to as as much different as they are alike so not unnecessary.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thanks for sharing. This definitely would be helpful to those who are new to towing. Often times people have problems visualizing the basics like how the trailers reacts to trucks, setting up for backing, turning radius for the trailer, etc. Definitely an interesting view. One of the best uses of a drone that I've seen on YouTube.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
rj, aren't you referring to the standard sight side back.

The one that i never mastered was the blind side back where you could not keep an eye on the left trailer wheel. :h

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad was a long haul truck driver for over 30 years and taught me how to backup a trailer. His #1 tip is to always keep your eye on your left trailer tire - if you have to pull up to get a better angle, do it. That tip has served me well.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Jeremiah; Thanks for the video. I struggle with backing my 5th wheel. Always ask the campground to give me a pull through. This is the season that i am going to master the backing. My new storage space demands it. The old storage space was a pull through. Sounds like cones and the city park parking lot is the place to get this done. Best source of information is the video prepared by other rv owners as well as the trucker video. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Video reminded me of a parking job I had to do

Went to visit a friend in Seguim WA.

Had planned on staying at nearby CG.
He convinced me......'Plenty of room at our place-----so and so was here last year'

SO we went to his place

Small roadway.........90* driveway that was 8 1/2' wide across a deep drainage ditch with decorative fencing on both sides :S

Then I ask WHERE am I suppose to park it.
Right here in driveway :H

Now I am no novice when to comes to backing in......but there was just not enough room to maneuver backend of 5vr and front end of truck thru the driveway opening.
Ended up pulling in ........driving out across front yard and then backing/jackknifing 5vr onto driveway. Had to dump sand across driveway so tires could slide easier across his brickwork

(CG was FULL....no other options in area!!)

That is the tightest/most jackknifed I ever had the 5th wheel----probably closer to 95/98* when finally parked. Roadside of 5vr was right next to back of cab and blocking rear quad door.
That goodness for 4-way articulating hitch head.

The visit with old friends was worth it!!!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:

There's a bid difference between a 53' van and a 40' 5th wheel. I have never had a time I needed 90* to put my 5th wheel anywhere and that is including spots that are 90* to the drive.The 280" wheel base on the tractor in the video also makes a difference in the need of 90*.

And then there's the one early comment that's off-topic and totally unnecessary.

Good video!
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I remember watching an old gentleman crank it over to 90 degrees to get his fiver into a tight spot. I was very impressed. Almost wanted one after that!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Johndanielscpa
Explorer
Explorer
That is a really good video to show how the trailer moves in response to tow vehicle movement. Thanks for sharing!

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Found this on YouTube- Thought it may be handy to visualize how the trailers are moving while making maneuvers and backing.

This is an arial view of a tractor trailer turning and backing. The first 6 minutes are so are with the tandem axles in their most forward position... While still further back than most TT and Fivers it is closest to demonstrating how our towable RV's move while backing and maneuvering.

Note: The 90 degree turn is displayed and you can see the trailer tires scrubbing sideways... This may help people see how effective it is to get to 90 degrees with a truck and fiver.

Video Link

The music is terrible (like elevator music) so you may want to hit mute.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.