cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW to GET RID of a LOT of GOOD STUFF I Might Use Someday

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Making a move down from 27' Class A to small pop-up Truck Camper. I think the physical is possible IF I can get my head in the right place. Think Light ~ Think Small ~ Think Light ~ Think Small ~ Think Light ~ Think Small ~ every night as I go to sleep ~ keeps me awake. Any of you made the move?? Any good tricks. Any insight appreciated.

TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~ HaveFun ~~ K
41 REPLIES 41

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
We went from 31' C to 10' T.C.and the transition went quite easy, thanks in part to our daughter following in our footsteps. She bought an A frame quite young and inherited tons of stuff. My biggest problem stems from chairs,2 director,2 beach, 2 zero recliners. What happens if someone stops by ? where will they sit ? Duh on the picnic table! On a recent 28 day trip I "timed" how long we both were in our zero recliners (heavy) at the same time to prove a point, we spent combined, ZERO minutes in the recliners at the same time. Next trip 1 less recliner. I hope, lol.

adamboyd
Explorer
Explorer
maddog348 wrote:
Adam ~ Thanks Great Post. 80yrs of 'Depression Era' thinking "...save it you may need it..." is hard to unlearn. I will reread your post MANY times.

TakeCare ~~ TravelSafe ~~ HaveFun

Amen. It is harder than a lot of people think. Getting rid of stuff is contrary to our nature, especially for those born in the greatest generation. It makes sense because back then people lived with a buy-it-for-life mentality. You got married, bought a house and then furnished the house. Almost every house had the big old dining room complete with 8 person table, hutch, china cabinet, etc. Most people thought they would hand these down to their children but it turns out this generation doesn't want it. The "ikea" generation is naturally minimalist and many of them are forced to live in smaller condos where there isn't room for stuff anyways. The antiques businesses are overwhelmed with stuff, they won't take anymore. Those "china" sets that cost several thousands of dollars years ago are now virtually worthless. It is so sad to see.

I commend you heavily for taking on this task and I assure you that you will find immense happiness from "decluttering". It is very therapeutic to let go of things. Imagine all the stuff you own and carrying it on your back in a backpack. Everytime you get rid of something, you get a little bit lighter and feel a little better! Good luck my friend!

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
HAha I r the WIFE

specta
Explorer
Explorer
"HOW to GET RID of a LOT of GOOD STUFF I Might Use Someday"

Let the wife go thru it. 😄
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I spent the first 50 years acquiring stuff. I used to go to garage sales, auctions and collect stuff like canvas tents, canoes, saddles, antique horse tack, etc. Then I stopped. Now I am close to 70 and have started selling and giving away stuff. Keep things in circulation. Let someone else use it. Give it to the Boy Scouts. Life is simpler with less stuff.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
May you live a long and happy retirement.

Bedlam
Unlike some of these posts, I do not feel encumbered with the possessions I currently own. I also do not feel like I have a lack of space due to them, but I do have a lack of time since I still work. Once retired, I have more than enough interests to keep me busy until I die.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Adam ~ Thanks Great Post. 80yrs of 'Depression Era' thinking "...save it you may need it..." is hard to unlearn. I will reread your post MANY times.

TakeCare ~~ TravelSafe ~~ HaveFun

adamboyd
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I began a "minimalist" approach to my lifestyle and I am just now finishing up. When I started I had a 2000sqft 4 bedroom house full of stuff, garage full of stuff and I was overwhelmed. I started listing 10 things for sale every week on craigslist or ebay. I gave anything under $10 in value away to charity. I held garage sales. Eventually I sold my house and got an RV and put rest of my stuff in storage but I hated paying for storage so I slowly dwindled that down too. It involved making some tough decisions like throwing out nice mattresses or donating precious items. All my photo albums and videos got put into digital format and I threw out about 100 photo albums and 100 VCR home movies. I donated buckets of clothing. I am proud to say after 4 years of hard work EVERYTHING I OWN is in my truck camper or in my small safety deposit box for important documents. I have no storage unit. Trust me, it is worth it! If you are ever anxious, tell yourself you only live once. Also, throw away anything that can easily be rebought at walmart or wherever. I would find myself stressing out about dumb things like ice trays "Will I want ice in the camper or not?". Well Walmart or dollar stores sell ice trays for like $1-2 so who cares! Toss em! In the end I found out the most important lesson for me... no matter how stressful throwing/donating things is, it was far more stressful to my health to keep them. Now I am free and I can go where I want and I have nothing tying me down, no expensive storage bills, no house with utility bills and upkeep!

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carry all the tools and items that have three or more uses.
Carry some of the tools and items that have two uses.
Carry a credit card to buy what you need only when you really need it.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know ~~ I had to look it up and wish I hadn't bothered. Not my Cuppa Tea.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, who is Marie Kondo?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
jt301 ~~ Boy I wish I'd had a second cup of coffee before looking that one up.

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

jt301
Explorer
Explorer
Just choose belongings that spark joy. Lol. Learned that from Marie Kondo.