cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to remove tail light from 2020. Rock wood mini lite

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2020 Rochwood mini lite and the right turn signal does not flash. All other functions work on both sides of the trailer. Can not figure out how to remove the lens so I can replace bulb. The tail light has caluking around it and there is a small black thing on the bottom of the light. I am not sure how to get this puppy off so I can replace the bulb.Ed
15 REPLIES 15

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I had forgotten all the fuses under the battery box cover. I looked at the fuses on the dash but not the ones under the box cover. Reading the OWNERS MANUAL was helpful in reminding me of the other fuses. Again, thanks for all your help. Ed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good deal. Sometimes a fuse blowing is an anomaly. Most of the time itโ€™s due to a live short somewhere that overloads the circuit.
It may hold now but blow again , underway, if thereโ€™s a bar wire somewhere.
Just to keep in mind
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
๐Ÿ™‚

Glad you found the problem!

Thanks for posting what was wrong, may be helpful for someone else.

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
PROBLEM SOLVED...It was one of the fusses that are under the cover of the battery box..
Saved some money and time, THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
This might be helpful..

Using the pix posted by another member I was able to locate a similar tail light to what they posted.

Brand is Optronics 6" round..

Found

HERE

RVSTL10 is passenger side (no license plate bracket)

Found

HERE

Lense is removable, will need to remove the caulking and the lens will have to be pried off to get to the mounting screws.. Look on the underside flat area for any place to insert a flat blade screw driver between the red cover and the plastic base.

And yes, I have run into LED tail lights that failed prematurely so it is possible that you could have a defective light but if you can get the red lens cover off you can check the wiring to make sure it is the light.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
1ed wrote:
Thanks for all. The responses, I have not repaired the. Light yet. Cleaned the plug on trailer and truck and still no worked. If the blinker works on the truck wouldnโ€™t that eliminate the truck. I plan to use some emery paper as my next method to repair the light.

Many newer vehicles use relays and separate fuses to isolate the trailer connection from the vehicles turn signals..

So, it is possible to have the vehicles turn signals work but yet the trailers not if a fuse blows or relay fails.

Compounding things a bit more is recent vehicles have switched over to "smart modules" to handle the trailer lights, these modules are able to detect a load present and turn on or off the output.. These modules are a bit sensitive to shorted trailer wiring and can go into a protect mode and never come back.. The only nice thing about smart modules is they will notify you of a trailer light outage fault.

If you have the lights posted by another member, it may be possible that the glue/caulking is holding them in place. If so cut or remove the caulking and see if they come off..

If all else fails, check with a RV dealer service department to see if they will clue you in on how to remove.

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all. The responses, I have not repaired the. Light yet. Cleaned the plug on trailer and truck and still no worked. If the blinker works on the truck wouldnโ€™t that eliminate the truck. I plan to use some emery paper as my next method to repair the light.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was surprised to learn that newer pickups have a fuse for both the left and the right turn signal trailer light. Check the fuses first.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Gdetrailer wrote:
LED lights are sealed and the LEDs inside the assembly are not "replaceable".

To fix, you must replace the entire fixture.

You might wish to do some troubleshooting before replacing the fixture..

Clean all the contacts on the plug from the trailer and the socket on the vehicle, the connections tend to get corroded. You can use some sandpaper rolled up a few layers and flattened out size it to fit in the plug contacts to scrub the contacts shiny.

Vehicles often have fuses on stop/turn/running lights, make sure those fuses are good, read your vehicles manual to find out the location of those fuses.

Your trailer may also have fuses, if so those may be located near the tongue, follow the tow vehicle to trailer cable to see if you can find a junction and fuse box..

Barring all that, pull the tail lights, move the known working one to the side that isn't working.. If the good tail light works then you know you need to replace the bad one..

If you don't wish to go to the work of troubleshooting you can just throw money at it and buy a new replacement and hope that is the fix to the problem..

x2. If the fixture is an LED, it's theoretically possible that the fixture itself if the cause of the problem, but IMO very unlikely. There are several other possible failure points, starting at the tow vehicle plug and going back from there. Always check things that cost nothing to check (fuses, connections), etc before you spend any money on parts.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I imagine his lights are the same as my 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite.

I don't see any outside screws to remove it either.. I suspect that the seal will need to be cut and then maybe it 'twists' off or something.. There is really no way to get to it from inside the trailer.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
LED lights are sealed and the LEDs inside the assembly are not "replaceable".

To fix, you must replace the entire fixture.

You might wish to do some troubleshooting before replacing the fixture..

Clean all the contacts on the plug from the trailer and the socket on the vehicle, the connections tend to get corroded. You can use some sandpaper rolled up a few layers and flattened out size it to fit in the plug contacts to scrub the contacts shiny.

Vehicles often have fuses on stop/turn/running lights, make sure those fuses are good, read your vehicles manual to find out the location of those fuses.

Your trailer may also have fuses, if so those may be located near the tongue, follow the tow vehicle to trailer cable to see if you can find a junction and fuse box..

Barring all that, pull the tail lights, move the known working one to the side that isn't working.. If the good tail light works then you know you need to replace the bad one..

If you don't wish to go to the work of troubleshooting you can just throw money at it and buy a new replacement and hope that is the fix to the problem..

If they look like these..

They use a rubber grommet that surrounds the light..

You can pry the light out of the grommet or the grommet out of the RV body..

Although it is possible that if there is caulking around the fixture the caulking may be hiding the screw holes so you will want to remove the caulking ans see what is under it..

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
It is the new type LED. NOt sure how to post picture but it is round and LED.
Thanks for your input. Ed

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
some are sealed you have to replace the hole unit.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Post a photo of the light se we can see what it looks like. There's dozens of various tail lights used y RV manufacturers
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator