cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to Secure Travel Trailer at Campsite?

Margali
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we are renting an Innsbruck 19DS to go RVing next week. It has a single axle. How do you secure your trailer against easy theft?

Maybe silly question but Ive been ready reviews about lock and am totally confused.
29 REPLIES 29

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
CharlesinGA wrote:
All of the ball locks in the world will not slow down even a simple thief.

That's not the point - trailer coupler locks (not "ball locks") are a visual deterrent that encourage a casual thief to move on to something else that isn't locked at all. ๐Ÿ˜‰

You would like to think so, and I generally adhere to that line of thinking also, but when all you have to do is throw the chains over a ball and hook them, and go (watch the videos), then the ball lock becomes no deterrent at all, unless the chains are locked up too. Wrap them around the tongue and secure them with a lock so they cannot be used to hitch up the trailer.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:

That's not the point - trailer coupler locks (not "ball locks") are a visual deterrent that encourage a casual thief to move on to something else that isn't locked at all. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer

https://youtu.be/FTAHhjhB32s

https://youtu.be/Z9tbSzWkY1s

This looks like it might work.

https://youtu.be/NMu_GnNnnBE

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Trimax Universal Coupler Lock I bought donkey's years ago when we were long distance traveling a lot with our popup and would leave it at a campsite for the day while out sightseeing. From Yellowstone to the Carolinas I wasn't ever really concerned about the camper being stolen and these days I use the lock on our travel trailer as much now just because I have it, not because it's really necessary.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Back when we first started camping, I locked up every compartment, door, hitch, and coupler. Made camping inconvenient. Then I read about the CH751, and started ignoring the locks. Best decision ever made.

We might lock the door these days if we are leaving for the day, but otherwise everything stays unlocked save for the coupler lock, and that's mostly just so I know where it is, it would be easily defeated if someone wanted.

Disclaimer for our setup is that we park it at home in the back yard, where it is very secure, and our exposure while out is pretty limited. If we did a lot of wal mart camping or leaving our rig in town for hours, I'd be more concerned.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

facory
Explorer
Explorer
I have to echo the trust you have to place in fellow campers. If you can make an acquaintance early on you will have someone who will watch out for you, and visa versa. I have never had anything stolen - anything, ever! In some campgrounds though, I will admit, I have run the cable lock through the wheel and suspension just to be safe. Thankfully, I could probably count the times on one hand during the past 10 years.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I have always felt that if I have to worry about my trailer being stole when I'm gone from my site I will give up camping.

Been camping for over 50 years and still feel that way. Reckless? Probably. Irresponsible? Most likely; but that's the way I feel.

Now small things and trailers in storage is an entirely different matter.

x2. In reality I believe that campers are actually more honest and trustworthy groups than population in general. In our family since camping starting in 1950 we have never ever had anything stolen from a campsite. Now we do take resonably general precautions about what we leave outside. But generally coolers, chairs etc. are outside. on occasion I will put my hitchlock on the trailer. but worrying about the trailer being stolen?? that's near the very bottom of my list.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It's a rental, check with your auto insurer or even the credit card you rented it with and see if it's already covered. If not and they offer a low cost rental insurance just take that and don't worry about it.

But truthfully trailers really don't get stolen from campgrounds all that often.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Try and app called "Find Me Spot"
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The small camper next to us used a hitch lock and tire boot. It was not going anywhere. ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

facory
Explorer
Explorer
A good cable lock. Run it through the wheel, around the suspension and back through the wheel. That way it cannot be towed and the wheel cannot be removed. The best place to buy a great cable lock is at a Harley Davidson dealer or online from their website.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Get a roll of yellow crime scene tape and a biohazard sign. No one will touch it.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I'm more concerned that my Equal-I-zer hitch components or bike would be stolen, so I run a lock cable thru the hitch, around the A frame and around the bike, fully realizing it just slows the determined thief down. Oh, and I always remove the seat from the bike, that probably works better than the lock. Then, there's the old Bar-b-que I set out on the picnic table hoping it'll disappear so I can justify a new one. So far, no takers.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with the not to worry crowd, just keep it insured and locked. Have not had anything stolen in 19 years of RVing.