cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How tough is it to climb into the bed area

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering changing our camping style and moving from our current 5th wheel to a truck camper. My wife is 5' 1" with two artificial knees and is concerned about climbing into the bed area. We have plans in a couple of weeks to actually get to a dealer and investigate but thought those here might have a comment.
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll
17 REPLIES 17

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone you have given us some good information. Now it's time to look inside some real units.

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
The Lance models (mine is an 1181) with a basement are not so high. Plus there is a step on the bathroom wall.

An additional consideration might be a larger mattress. Ours is a King that fits because we deleted the driver's side locker in the cab over. More room in the middle to climb in and out, plus the memory foam doesn't shake the other sleeper when one crawls out. We make the bed by having the covers from each side meet in the middle. we enter and exit thru the middle. Works for us.
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Outfitter and we can either climb up over the dinette or use the optional ladder it came with. My wife is 68 with bad knees and has no problems doing it either way. The bed is a N/S queen so no climbing over each other.

Mike/Kellie your 5' wife towers over my 4'10" Korean wife. LOL
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

1handyhubby
Explorer
Explorer
We've owned several models of Lance campers over the years and finally got tired of the climb up into the bed. One of the main reasons for buying our Host Mammoth was the ease of getting into and out of the bed. My wife is 5'3" with bad knees so she was thrilled to get the Mammoth. Happy wife happy life. ??
2001 F350 Lariat V10 DRW 4x4,4.30 rear, Rancho 9000's,
Ride Rite air bags w/onboard compressor, Tork Lifts, Fastguns,
2013 Host Mammoth Happy Happy Wife!

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
Also of concern is entry into the camper as mentioned above. Personally I think a side entry is easier and safer, but there are options for rear entry to avoid a steep scissor steps.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I had a TC with a East-West bed, so one had the climb over the other, not plesant when you are as old as I am and in a hurry to get to the bathroom! Putting steps in not convent with the limited floor space of a TC.

One responder mentioned basement models with a bigger floor sq ft, but that comes at a cost of multiple steps to get in the TC.

That's two of the reasons we up graded to TC. ( The other was the setup time was long if you unload the TC )

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Northernlite and my brother has a Bigfoot it is easier to clime the NL than the BF
I am 76 and one artificial knee and I have no problem my wife is 73 and find it very difficult to crawl
In and out to the bed.
We are thinking about a small C or B+ and we do not want a corner bed where we have to crawl over the other, so we are thinking 2 stalls bed at the rear.....
Go and try them
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to visit a dealer soon but there aren't many TC dealers in this area. We have a Lance dealer about 4 hours away but the Host dealer is a days drive away.

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Can you visit a dealership and test them out "real life" ?
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Fred_n_Jo wrote:
We are considering changing our camping style and moving from our current 5th wheel to a truck camper. My wife is 5' 1" with two artificial knees and is concerned about climbing into the bed area. We have plans in a couple of weeks to actually get to a dealer and investigate but thought those here might have a comment.

This issue is important as you get older and have to get up during the
night I guess your talking about getting in the bed.I have been thinking of upgrading to a small class C,but have not done so because
I like to visit the boonies in Ariz and Anza Borrego and need the 4x4
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
With our Host, it's no problem for either of us. My wife has the bath side while I have the kitchen side for entering and sometimes more important leaving for early morning walks with the dog or making coffee.
You're wife would jump center on the women's team while my wife at 5' would be a shooting guard.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll have to look at the different makes. They range from sort of having to "jump" from the lower seat to the bed to some that sort of have steps. As a very general statement, usually the larger (meaning also heavier) TCs have more features such as easier access to the bed.

Another point about making the bed easier to access or use, is to pay attention to it's orientation. TCs with broadside beds going from one side of the TC to the other, are more of a PITA because they require one person so always be crawling over the other. Whereas, beds that run lengthwise, or are orientated from front to rear, don't have that inconvenience.

While going to a dealer to see the different types is always a great idea so that you can see how you'll fit it the TC and it's features, I'd also be looking on line at different brochures to see what other makes have that your dealer may not be carrying.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
The Host Mammoth is on our list to consider along with the Lance 1172 and Eagle Cap 1165 or 1200. We will also be upgrading our truck to a DRW long bed.

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

gtkato
Explorer
Explorer
The height climbing up into the bed area differs from TC to TC mfg. I have owned 4 TC's and the height ranged from about 26" to over 36". Some have a folding step or stepping platform to cut the distance in half and you can always use a 3 step stool to help you up. Regardless, it will be more difficult than your 5th wheel. My current Cirrus is only 26" and has a large landing to help getting in and out. Opt for a N/S bed orientation so you don't half to crawl over each other, and get one with a lot of head clearance from bed to ceiling.
FlyFishn
2017 Cirrus 820 Truck Camper, Torklift, Rear view camera, solar, glow steps, roof rack
2012 GMC "Texas Edition" 2500 HD Duramax, MBRP exhaust, Fuel wheels, Toyo Open Country tires, Sumo springs, Torklift stable loads