cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How was this one tied down before it flew off !

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
TC takes flight
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.
28 REPLIES 28

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm just glad I haven't been checked while hauling my 8000 lb TC. Of course, the weight police here may come after me.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

TRAILRIDER125
Explorer
Explorer
New seat covers! Ha!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You can't predict wind gust coming out of nowhere.
One thing I like about my 6000 lb camper is that it would take hurricane side wind to lift it.
That said I drove my combo close to 80 mph and felt safe, but last year facing Irma in FL I wonder what would be best approach to face high winds.
That was my best option

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
anutami wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
If I'm not mistaken this was posted somewhere else or maybe on here. I will do a search. The poster was trying to convince everyone that the wind blew the camper off but it wasn't adding up. I think that picture is the last one he posted when he got back to the camper. Not that I don't believe it I just think I saw this elsewhere... I will post if I find it!

Edit at 8PM

Sorry, This is the one I was talking about.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/family-survived-scary-truck-camper-accident-wolf-creek-850-rolled/

Go ahead and read my post
Here

I donโ€™t blame just the wind but a mixture of wind, antiquated tie down system, and above all inferior workmanship on the WC anchor points.

I believe every word of it!!!! I was just trying to describe the post that's all. I believed you the first time you posted it. We were in MA. on a return trip from the keys and the wind was so bad on 17 that my dog was pinned to the rear door of my 1181. I had to turn the truck around to get him out of the wind and inside. I know first hand about the wind. Did not doubt you for a minute.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Holy Cow..High winds with an RV..Pull over..Period...Been there done that or pay the price!
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
notsobigjoe wrote:
If I'm not mistaken this was posted somewhere else or maybe on here. I will do a search. The poster was trying to convince everyone that the wind blew the camper off but it wasn't adding up. I think that picture is the last one he posted when he got back to the camper. Not that I don't believe it I just think I saw this elsewhere... I will post if I find it!

Edit at 8PM

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/family-survived-scary-truck-camper-accident-wolf-creek-850-rolled/

Go ahead and read my post Here

I donโ€™t blame just the wind but a mixture of wind, antiquated tie down system, and above all inferior workmanship on the WC anchor points.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate. Please remove.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think we are getting the true story. Here's what I think happened and why;
The driver didn't attach the camper. Look at the tie downs on the truck. Those chains are welded on. Both rears are the same length. None of the anchor points were tweeked. It looks like they are designed and built that way; a few links welded to frame anchors. The frame anchors even look to be angled slightly downward to counter any flex when they are anchoring the camper when it is attached. The anchor ends where the chain is welded on is bare metal and not even rusted, suggesting it's freshly built. There is a sheet of plywood in the bed. THAT didn't blow out!
It looks like the road behind has a pretty significant curve to it the driver just drove through. With the camper just sitting in the bed on a sheet of relatively slippery plywood, it started to slide off while the driver was accelerating out of the turn, going down the road. The driver realized something was wrong, maybe he dozed off, turned his head, or was distracted by wildlife in the road and with the wheel still slightly turned to the curve in the road, wandered off onto the shoulder, causing the truck and camper to lean. Based on stock wheel/tire combo, the suspension is probably stock as well, causing even further lean. The driver made a hard correction to the left and with the camper in some stage of sliding off, camper tipped back and lifted above the wheel well. The camper was tipping one way due to the shoulder of the road angle, the truck pushing hard the other way and the bed gave way, the camper slid off, pushing on the rearward end of the bed side, bending that part more than the front, and slid to a stop. Look and you can just see the front jack folded back, indicating it slid on the road in a forward direction before stopping.

The camper tie down points would have ripped loose before a chain, all four in fact, snapped without any of the camper parts hanging or shown damaged in that photo.
Driver probably drove off in the dark, forgetting to attach the camper, got drowsy and drifted off the road and over corrected when he realized his mistake.

****EDIT****
I want to point out that it looks like the rear tail light was removed and some sort of gusset attached to the inside of the light's hole and the end of the tie down arm. The driver side light is removed as well, but I don't see the gusset from this angle.

flakjacket
Explorer
Explorer
I not convinced the camper rolled off. It might have got pushed to the right, maybe even leaned over, bending the side of the bed the slid out the back. The driver then turned around. You can see the shoulder of the road is at a good angle and the driver might have gotten into the shoulder and helped it.
2005 Silverado 3500 LT, CC DRW 4WD D/A, Ride-Rites, Rancho 9000, Supersprings, Line-X, XM Radio
2007 Lance 1181, Fastguns

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III

Edit at 8PM

Gary_Morency
Explorer
Explorer
I travel that road twice over the years it wasn,t the greatest back then rock in the windshield was all we got.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
this is the original source:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GNWT_INF

No additional information there, though.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Relax, Its just a new Ram side-loader prototype while in testing..

3 tons

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
SugarHillCTD wrote:
From what I can see on that photo, those chains look pretty thin and they appear to have broken mid-span.

I agree- it looks to be a home built tie down system.

If that is an EC 992- it is ok on a heavy SRW.

Looks like the 950 we have on our SRW.