cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hyperinflating RV prices and people who pay any price

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't get it. Seems the world went nuts and everybody got rich but me.
37 REPLIES 37

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
run100 wrote:
I was taught an "asking price" means nothing; it's only the final price paid that matters. When window shopping or looking at ads, consumers only see the asking price, not the actual amount paid. Could be very different numbers.

My favorite way of checking the actuall value is go on ebay and do search for "sold" items.
That might not work well for low -volume items, but it is always a good start.

run100
Explorer
Explorer
I was taught an "asking price" means nothing; it's only the final price paid that matters. When window shopping or looking at ads, consumers only see the asking price, not the actual amount paid. Could be very different numbers.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
happycamper1942 wrote:
I just sold my 5th wheel in 3 hours after advertising it. I was asking a reasonable price for it as it was older, in good shape but showing its age a little. I had more than 20 calls on it before I had a chance to take it off line. No doubt I could have got more for it if I had waited but I am very happy with what I got.
So I am going back to a camper and the prices of used ones is going nuts, so for a few dollars more I ordered a new one. The only snag, I wont get it till the end of May, but that's OK, maybe by then I can go somewhere.

Very nice! I'm hoping for the same but to sell my truck and camper as a package. Just need a stretch of sun to get the tarp off the TC and get it presentable.
Nice to see another Islander on here. Our new NL is sitting at B.B's Toys. Just need the new truck to come in to get it.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
I just sold my 5th wheel in 3 hours after advertising it. I was asking a reasonable price for it as it was older, in good shape but showing its age a little. I had more than 20 calls on it before I had a chance to take it off line. No doubt I could have got more for it if I had waited but I am very happy with what I got.
So I am going back to a camper and the prices of used ones is going nuts, so for a few dollars more I ordered a new one. The only snag, I wont get it till the end of May, but that's OK, maybe by then I can go somewhere.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The 2nd camper was 25% younger.
We don't know the details, so it is all speculation why the campers sold for different prices.
Now bread and gas prices higher 20% than 11 months ago......

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Inflation is when cost go up on your neighbor - hyperinflation is when cost go up on you...Iโ€™m from the govโ€™t and here to help...

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
restlessways wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Oh, and I wouldn't consider $1400 or even $4000 as "hyperinflating."

A 2016 Arctic Fox 1140, mint condition, was listed for $25,000 last year and sat for months. I have no idea how much it sold for. A 2017 AF 1140 was listed at $35,000 this year and sold in a day. $10,000/$25,000 = A 40% price increase on a used camper in a year. That's hyperinflation in my book.

If it's not sustainable can you really call it hyperinflation?
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:

A 2016 Arctic Fox 1140, mint condition, was listed for $25,000 last year and sat for months. I have no idea how much it sold for. A 2017 AF 1140 was listed at $35,000 this year and sold in a day. $10,000/$25,000 = A 40% price increase on a used camper in a year. That's hyperinflation in my book.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Iโ€™ve been kinda busy trying to unload my cash before it turns into (by popular demand) Zimbabwe notes - lol

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
bighatnohorse wrote:
Our long planned trip to Africa was delayed (maybe permanently) due to Covid19. It was big bucks.
Money sitting in the bank is no good. We bought a new camper.

Tanzania & Kenya are open.

Thought about going back but we are looking at Ecuador and the Galapagos right now.

We still might go but at a greatly reduced itinerary. The plan was to first stop in Amsterdam for a few days to acclimate to the time zone then fly to South Africa, rent a car and tour the wine country. Then investigate local guides and freelance trips to Botswana, Tanzania, Kruger, etc. Six weeks minimum. Probably would have cost a new camper.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like a popular subject. Thanks for the replies. Lots of differing opinions. I'm going to go ahead and believe that it's not "different this time" and that we're going to see some pretty cheap RVs in the coming years. Historically, they are one of the worst financial "investments" a person could make insofar as depreciation is concerned. I see a lot of money going up in smoke.

As a cash buyer, now isn't my time. In the future, it will be. I'm going to put some money into my 5th wheel this summer and continue to use it. According to NADA guides, it has only depreciated $2,500 in the past 8+ years. That's like $26 and change per month. Hah! And as a full-timer I have used this thing more than most people.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
bighatnohorse wrote:
Our long planned trip to Africa was delayed (maybe permanently) due to Covid19. It was big bucks.

Tanzania & Kenya are open.

Thought about going back but we are looking at Ecuador and the Galapagos right now.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
mkirsch wrote:

Beat me to it.

Replaced our trailer last fall. Got 1/3 off the MSRP without a hassle.

Might it have been a few hundred cheaper a year before...maybe but nothing crazy.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats