cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I just cant get with this program...

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
Click. This motor just doesn't belong in this truck. Anyway, as much as I would like Chrysler not to be a foriegn company I do think Fiat is doing a good job. I understand why they would go with the Motori diesel but I certainly would have loved to see this motor in the 1/2 ton Ram, heck I would have loved to see this motor as a cheaper alternative in the HD Rams. As far as the Titan goes, it looks pretty good IMO.
56 REPLIES 56

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Tystevens wrote:

I don't 'need' 400/800 for any trailer we are likely to buy. But the Ecodiesel and Ecoboost, nice packages though they may be, aren't *quite* enough for the family sized trailers. And I do use my truck as a daily driver, so I'd like at least reasonable fuel economy when not towing. So I can see a niche for this truck, as long as the numbers match up.

Hmmmm, the 3.5L EcoB in a HD Payload F150 would be a close competitor to the 5L Nissan Cummins and probably a lot cheaper. We'll have to see when the final figures come out.

Anyway, those are the two we'll be looking at closely when we start looking for a new truck.

And by the way, MotorTrend/TruckTrend just put out a quick review of the Nissan Cummins. They talk about the
rear 10.5-inch live axle, which is the same unit as in the Ram Power Wagon

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2015/1501_hands_on_2016_nissan_titan_xd/
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
AH64ID wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
john&bet wrote:
And which engine is it a modification of?

ISV 5.0

They are both brand new engines. How do you know the MD ISV isn't a modified version of the engine developed for LD use?
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I guess you do not realize where I live, but that is ok.

If you have some additional info please share it.

Right now all that is out there is ..... not much ๐Ÿ™‚

From the Cummins press releases it is impossible to tell which was the initial design engine, LD or MD or simultaneous.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
AH64ID wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
john&bet wrote:

ISV 5.0

They are both brand new engines. How do you know the MD ISV isn't a modified version of the engine developed for LD use?
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I guess you do not realize where I live, but that is ok.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
AH64ID wrote:

I don't. However, I'd hazard a guess that they are actually the same basic engine, just like the B series in both the Ram pickups and medium duty applications are the same basic engine. With both engines the MD applications have lower horsepower and torque ratings to achieve better longevity ratings. The ISB in a medium duty application has a max hp/torque of 325/750, considerably less than the light duty pickup application. The same appears to be true for the ISV.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
john&bet wrote:

ISV 5.0

-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
IdaD wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
A 5.0L Cummins? A V8 no less?

What's the point? It's not that much smaller than the venerable 5.9L. Probably weighs just as much.

The Fiat diesel in the 1500 Rams is a much better match for that size/capacity truck.

It's a modified version of one of their medium duty commercial engines, so it isn't an all new design. It could prove to be a really great motor. In fact I'd be real interested in seeing it in a Ram 2500.

I've had very good personal experiences with Nissan over the years. They went through a bit of a quality swoon for a while but seem to be back in good shape again. My guess is this Titan XD will suddenly make the Titan relevant again.

It could be the greatest engine ever. That's not the point.

The point is that is an engine that could run toe-to-toe with the Cumminses, Powerstrokes, and Duramaxes of just a few years ago. It is a heavy engine capable of moving a 13-ton rig down the road with prejudice, in a lightweight truck chassis capable of handling about half that. Taking up precious payload capacity. Burning unnecessary amounts of fuel. Good if you're looking for a hot rod. Bad if you're looking to actually use the truck for something.

We have no idea how lightweight the chassis is - it's supposedly a heavier frame than the regular half ton Titan, with associated heavier axles, transmission, transfer case, etc. At least that's what Nissan is saying. I guess we'll find out when the GVWR comes out.

I'm sure this is a truck that many 3/4 or 1 ton owners are going to snicker at but there's no question in my mind that it fills a niche for buyers who want diesel truck in between the capabilities of a Ram 1500 with 1400 or whatever pounds of payload capacity and a Ram 2500 with 800 foot pounds of torque and a 17,000 lb tow rating. I read somewhere that the average heavy duty truck owner tows around 9,000 lbs, which makes sense to me regardless of what the ratings say, that's a lot of trailer for a regular half ton to be pulling. For that type of trailer, this Nissan might make a lot of sense (especially for those of us living in the west dealing with elevation and mountains).

Frankly I'd love to see this engine in a Ram 2500 as well. Then you could get the full three quarter ton package at a lower cost with likely better fuel economy. This engine actually has more HP and torque than my dad's 2000 7.3 PSD, so I don't think it would feel under powered in a 2500.

I agree. If they put it in a chassis that is aimed at towing 9-11k trailers and enough payload for a light or mid-sized 5'er, and still capable of low 20 mpg highway ratings (unloaded, of course), it would fit nicely between the 1/2 tons and the monster powered 3/4 ton diesels.

I don't 'need' 400/800 for any trailer we are likely to buy. But the Ecodiesel and Ecoboost, nice packages though they may be, aren't *quite* enough for the family sized trailers. And I do use my truck as a daily driver, so I'd like at least reasonable fuel economy when not towing. So I can see a niche for this truck, as long as the numbers match up.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
IdaD wrote:
mkirsch wrote:

What's the point? It's not that much smaller than the venerable 5.9L. Probably weighs just as much.

The Fiat diesel in the 1500 Rams is a much better match for that size/capacity truck.

It's a modified version of one of their medium duty commercial engines, so it isn't an all new design. It could prove to be a really great motor. In fact I'd be real interested in seeing it in a Ram 2500.

I've had very good personal experiences with Nissan over the years. They went through a bit of a quality swoon for a while but seem to be back in good shape again. My guess is this Titan XD will suddenly make the Titan relevant again.

The point is that is an engine that could run toe-to-toe with the Cumminses, Powerstrokes, and Duramaxes of just a few years ago. It is a heavy engine capable of moving a 13-ton rig down the road with prejudice, in a lightweight truck chassis capable of handling about half that. Taking up precious payload capacity. Burning unnecessary amounts of fuel. Good if you're looking for a hot rod. Bad if you're looking to actually use the truck for something.

We have no idea how lightweight the chassis is - it's supposedly a heavier frame than the regular half ton Titan, with associated heavier axles, transmission, transfer case, etc. At least that's what Nissan is saying. I guess we'll find out when the GVWR comes out.

I'm sure this is a truck that many 3/4 or 1 ton owners are going to snicker at but there's no question in my mind that it fills a niche for buyers who want diesel truck in between the capabilities of a Ram 1500 with 1400 or whatever pounds of payload capacity and a Ram 2500 with 800 foot pounds of torque and a 17,000 lb tow rating. I read somewhere that the average heavy duty truck owner tows around 9,000 lbs, which makes sense to me regardless of what the ratings say, that's a lot of trailer for a regular half ton to be pulling. For that type of trailer, this Nissan might make a lot of sense (especially for those of us living in the west dealing with elevation and mountains).

Frankly I'd love to see this engine in a Ram 2500 as well. Then you could get the full three quarter ton package at a lower cost with likely better fuel economy. This engine actually has more HP and torque than my dad's 2000 7.3 PSD, so I don't think it would feel under powered in a 2500.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
IdaD wrote:
mkirsch wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
john&bet wrote:

ISV 5.0
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
mkirsch wrote:

2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Scooter86
Explorer
Explorer
I am still digging on this new Titan. There is a niche where for a truck that is more capable/heavier than a 1/2 ton, yet doesn't need the overkill of the current big 3 diesel offerings. I would bet there are a lot more rvs, boats, etc under 10k than over. The big 3 diesel offerings are great, but have gotten to be overkill for many applications. This 5.0 truck looks to be sized perfectly for a lot of people.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like a knock off of the LongHorn interior.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Would you buy the Ram if it had the v8 cummins? They are a foreign company. Would you buy the Nissan if Ford purchased the company? I know it has been stated before. But pretty much all the auto manufacturers are public corporations. You can put as many American dollars as you want into their stock and buy something from a company YOU own not a foreign entity.

Nissan makes the Titans in Mississippi. Cummins is in Indiana. Yea, they get parts from everywhere because this is a global economy. I also like to patronize American companies and I know that foreign companies build products in America and American companies build products in other countries.

I am sure Fiat is thrilled to get their diesel in an American truck. We are just beginning to understand as consumers what Europe and many places in the rest of the world knows all too well. That small diesels can do lots of work on little fuel and are reliable. They are bringing that to America where our combined fleet fuel economy average is important to our government. VW has understood this since the diesel Rabbit back in 1975 with TDI refinements over the years.

Yes the small, midsize and extremely large European diesels are very very impressive. We used to have Petrol early model F350's built in Australia, but those days are long gone

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
I think I want one just for the red engine. Reminds me of the IH tractors I grew up with.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg