Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I know I wandered off...

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
...but everyone else too?
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.
14 REPLIES 14

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
mileshuff wrote:
Reisender wrote:

Up here in BC we are seeing a lot more teardrop type trailers being pulled by small SUV, small trucks etc. This is our T@B400. A little over 18 feet and weighs in fully loaded just under 3400 pounds. Hitch weight about 340 pounds loaded. There are smaller and larger models from the various manufacturers. Easy pull for the right SUV. We have pulled ours all over Canada and extensively in BC. Easy to get into forestry site etc. We love it. Made up bed and a separate eating table. We didn't want to have to make up a bed every night and we wanted one person to be able to get up and have breakfast and the other one to be able to sleep in. We say so many on our big BC tour last summer. Less common outside BC.

Hope that helps and hope you find what you are looking for.

Cheers.

John

I've seen quite a few of the Teardrops making a comeback here too. Too small for our needs. A Popup has 2 queen beds, a sofa bed as well as a small bed by folding the table down. Room to sleep at least 5 adults. We had 2 adults and 2 teens in ours. Teardrops seem awesome for 2 adults!

Ah yes. Youโ€™ll need a little more room. Good luck with the search.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:

Up here in BC we are seeing a lot more teardrop type trailers being pulled by small SUV, small trucks etc. This is our T@B400. A little over 18 feet and weighs in fully loaded just under 3400 pounds. Hitch weight about 340 pounds loaded. There are smaller and larger models from the various manufacturers. Easy pull for the right SUV. We have pulled ours all over Canada and extensively in BC. Easy to get into forestry site etc. We love it. Made up bed and a separate eating table. We didn't want to have to make up a bed every night and we wanted one person to be able to get up and have breakfast and the other one to be able to sleep in. We say so many on our big BC tour last summer. Less common outside BC.

Cheers.

John

I've seen quite a few of the Teardrops making a comeback here too. Too small for our needs. A Popup has 2 queen beds, a sofa bed as well as a small bed by folding the table down. Room to sleep at least 5 adults. We had 2 adults and 2 teens in ours. Teardrops seem awesome for 2 adults!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
mileshuff wrote:
What are people buying instead of PopUp tent trailers? My first popup weighed only 1,000lbs. Had 2 queen beds, stove, sink etc. 2nd popup was much larger, 1 king, 1 queen, shower, toilet, stove, sink, outside sink and grill and weighed only 2,000lbs. I could tow either with an economy SUV with ease.

My 3rd trailer was a hybrid hard sided but with foldout tent beds. Tons of room, huge slide out and weighed 5,000lbs fully loaded. I did have to upgrade the tow vehicle to a Durango 5.7L V8.

The current popups I've seen are high sided to allow for full ovens, microwave, refrigerators and most other ammenities. These are no longer lightweight and in most cases cannot be towed with a economy SUV. In this regard, may as well get a small hard sided and larger tow vehicle.

Cheers.

John

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
What are people buying instead of PopUp tent trailers? My first popup weighed only 1,000lbs. Had 2 queen beds, stove, sink etc. 2nd popup was much larger, 1 king, 1 queen, shower, toilet, stove, sink, outside sink and grill and weighed only 2,000lbs. I could tow either with an economy SUV with ease.

My 3rd trailer was a hybrid hard sided but with foldout tent beds. Tons of room, huge slide out and weighed 5,000lbs fully loaded. I did have to upgrade the tow vehicle to a Durango 5.7L V8.

The current popups I've seen are high sided to allow for full ovens, microwave, refrigerators and most other ammenities. These are no longer lightweight and in most cases cannot be towed with a economy SUV. In this regard, may as well get a small hard sided and larger tow vehicle.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Cocky_Camper wrote:
We just stayed at a SC state park and there was 5 newwer Pop Ups near us. I was shocked. Maybe they are being revived.

For what itโ€™s worth, on our recent cross Canada camping trip, of the 7 trailers we saw being hauled by electric vehicles (including ours) 4 were folding trailers and 3 of those were A-liners. The rest were teardrops like ours. So yah. There might be a rebirth. Who knows.

We almost bought an Aliner, and at the last minute got a T@B.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We just stayed at a SC state park and there was 5 newwer Pop Ups near us. I was shocked. Maybe they are being revived.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
They use to be great entry level prices. Now they cost as much as a fully self contained Travel Trailer.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

twichers
Explorer
Explorer
We went to the RV show in Tampa earlier this year. IIRC, there was only 1 traditional pop-up on site that we saw.

We had Starcraft and Venture pop-ups growing up. Went all over the US and Canada.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the ultra-light trailers have taken away much of the pup market. Although I have a fifth-wheel now (gotta have my recliner!), DW and I enjoyed our pup for ten years and took month-long trips in it. I think that the ten-foot pup (about twenty feet when set up) had more space than the ultra-lights: two beds one 4'x7' and the other 6'x7'. We put clothes and a lot of other things on the smaller bed while set up. (Clothes were stowed in the tow vehicle while traveling.) We had heater and AC. We even had a shower (a curtain around the toilet). But, alas, there was no recliner.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
One of the perceived issues is the insecurity of canvas sides vs. hard sides. However, you donโ€™t see many hard side crank ups either.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, it is sad. Pups are not dead, only on life support. I had one for many years and both of my daughters and their families still have 'em. I liked reading through the posts, reliving our great times and even occasionally offering up some advice.

I suppose it is a sign of the times.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t see many these days. When you do, they are old.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Well I am pretty sure where the pup people are.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Pups are dead.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt