cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm looking for some TT advice from experienced RVers

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I sold our 40"DP after 15 years of wonderful use and are now considering to downsize to a small TT for short weekend trips.

Our requirements are:
20-24 ft range
4000-7000 GVWR,
2 axels,
Murphy bed or walk around
1 slide
New unit or not more than a 2017.

Can you give me some suggestion of what I should look for.

I will tow w/ my 2018 F150, 2RWD, 5.0L, crew cab.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
33 REPLIES 33

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas, which model did you choose? There are several with M Bed.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really like the Rockwood 24 footer. Murphy bed, huge slide, large dinette, tons of storage, hardwood cabinets, torsion axles, 4,800 lbs dry.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. We just pulled the trigger and bought a new 2019 FR Flagstaff micro lite w/ Murphy bed. I will pick it up in several days and be traveling home to Sedona. The grades on I-17 from Phoenix will give me a test of my F 150 5.0 L RWD truck. I will be using the Anderson WDH and hope it performs like the reviews I have read.
What was interesting, the AZ dealers wanted about $3000 more OTD than other states and we got one in So Cal believe it or not for our asking price!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

SkiddyMiller
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
My DW and I sold our 40"DP after 15 years of wonderful use and are now considering to downsize to a small TT for short weekend trips.

Airstream!

Great, if not the best TT, IMO. Trouble is OP wants a slide in a 20’-24’ TT, Airstream was only ‘till 2010 or so and in larger sizes - maybe 30’?

Lots of offerings out there and the resell on <24’ is usually good.

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
We downside from 37ft fifth wheel to Forest River Mini Lite 25ks 2 years ago. Last year we 12500 trip to Alaska. I t worked perfect for us.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really like the Rockwood 2304S. It is a modern lay-out with a Murphy bed and one big slide. It is a 24 foot trailer that feels bigger. Great storage and a large U shaped dinette big enough to sleep an adult. The bathroom is spacious. Well appointed, fiberglass and alum frame with 4 season insulation and heated tanks. It weighs around 4700 pounds dry and will fit in USFS camp sites.

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Jay Feather RBM 23 new in Jan of 2016. It is 23 ft on the floor, plus about 3 ft of tongue length with GVWR of 5995 lbs. I tow with a Ram 1500 with the 5.6L gas V8.

I have pulled this trailer about 20,000 miles including a 6 month stint all over the western US (including lots of mountains and some rough roads) This is at the upper end of your size range, but I never had trouble fitting into the sometimes small CGs at state and national parks.

We LOVE the livability afforded by the Murphy bed. There is one fairly large slide out for a very comfortable dinette, and the sofa that is part of the appeal of the Murphy bed floorplan is a real plus, IMO. It only takes a minute to put it up or down, and it makes the trailer live like a 30-footer! BTW, I also chose this model for its large kitchen space. That may not matter if your use is more short trip oriented than ours.

Sounds like you are already a fan of the Murphy bed, but I've never understood why more people don't go for these. Seems like people either love or hate them. Main complaint seems to be reduced storage, but my unit has more storage than I need, even living aboard for six months. I do have a cap on my truck, though, which kind of solves any storage shortage.

My Jayco was made before the sale to Thor, but my few warranty items after two years were handled very well under Thor's ownership.

I've been very satisfied overall with the quality of the unit, and if you're thinking about buying used, finding one like mine would be a good choice, if you decide to go that big.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

KC10Chief
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same truck other than the motor. Power is not a problem for my EcoBoost. You're 5.0 has almost as much power. We are towing a Cougar 29BHS. It's 7,000 empty. I wouldn't go much heavier than that. I'm closer to 8,500 loaded up. If our daughter wasn't still living at home, I'd go without the bunkhouse. The Cougar is a real nice trailer but their smallest one is 26' and still about 6,600 empty. If you're wanting a nicer trailer and can live without a dinette, check out the Grand Design 2250RK. I looked at Grand Design and they're really nice. They just didn't have the floorpan that was perfect for us at the time. The Cougars have king size beds. My wife and I are both tall so we like that. That 2250RK has the walk around bed and theater seating. It's also 5,500 pounds dry. Easy for your truck. It would be a perfect weekend getaway camper for a couple I think.

I don't know if you've towed anything with your F-150, but it's a great TV. I tow my trailer between 65 and 70 on the highway. No problem maintaining speed up long hills. I do have a ProPride hitch and airbags in the rear for a more solid feel. But it's no problem. I'm confident I could tow even more but the experience would probably be less enjoyable beyond what I'm doing now. You're 5.0 only has slightly less power than the EcoBoost so, you'd be good there too.
2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS
2018 Ford F-150 Lariat w/3.5L EcoBoost, 10 speed, Max Tow
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. My wife and I sold our 2005 Monaco 40DP last year. We are thinking about long weekend trips with grandchildren. I am looking at a 2015 Ford Expedition (9,200 towing capacity) and a Jay Flight 287BHSW. It should run about 7,000 fully loaded. I think the tongue and axle weights will be within limits.
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
This one looks pretty sweet—> https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2019-white-hawk/25fk/

I like the front kitchen because most of the weight is up front where you want it. Seems like this layout would be a pretty stable tow.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned a lot of entry level Forest River products, Rockwood, Flagstaff, Puma, etc and find Jayco trailers to be much better in terms of quality and workmanship. Not perfect, just better.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I really like the Outdoors RV 21 RBS
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Snomas wrote:
. How come the Winnebago Mini Winnie is not mentioned ?

Probably because no one mentioned it yet.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Addy15 wrote:
We had a Starcraft Launch 21FBS.

Good friends of ours, after seeing our 192RBS, decided it was finally time to upgrade from a popup to a travel trailer and bought a Starcraft Launch 21FBS. On the upside their sofa was a bit longer than ours and their fridge was 8 cu ft rather than 6 cu ft. On the downside their "queen" bed was a short queen rather than a full length queen but the biggie was the lack of cargo capacity - about half that offered by the 192RBS which exceeds 2000 lbs. 😞
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380