cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm on the dark path many others have followed........

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seriously considering buying a mid-size 5th wheel next year. Seems like we just brought our new Lance home (in 1996) and its just barely getting broken in, but we are considering going semi-fulltime next year and 5th wheels are looking better and better.

Brad
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
31 REPLIES 31

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
Sold my truck and camper both....bought a new F250 platinum, and now I'm looking at smaller toyhauler 5ers....looking at this spring picking one up and bringing it up.

We'll go back to campers when the kids are gone. Kinda nice driving a smaller truck.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
We have both and enjoy the 5er for longer extended trips.The TC is great for shorter trips and really like the way I can park it practically anywhere.

To me the TC is more versatile and is our emergency get away vehicle / shelter if needed.Both provide for good camping.

Good luck with your choice.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
... It just seems like if you own too much stuff, your stuff starts to own you. I'm kinda geting that point already. Every time I turn around something needs the oil changed or worked on or something. ...
For me, it got worse after I retired. Not only do you have more time for the required maintenance, you feel guilty if you don't do it. When you are working, you do those things on your day off. When you retire, you never get a day off, you are retired 7 days a week. :R

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Brad, we started with a 8.5 Northstar Arrow, DW wanted a couch so we bought an AF 25R with a slide, we retired and bought an AF 22G feeling we didn't need the couch or slide and wanted a smaller TT to travel out west and thru the Rockies. Now we just picked up our 2016 AF 990 and DW says that this is the setup and I say no more towing. No TT hitch, no TT tires, no TT brakes, no TT wheel bearings, no more looking for BIG parking spots, etc..
We looked at a triple slide unit, with that couch, but it was 8 steps to get into it and if you missed that first step coming out it you could end up in the hospital. The triples also require a 550/5500 truck, getting very expensive.
Whatever you do, keep us posted.
GeoBoy

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
Every time I turn around something needs the oil changed or worked on or something. Life was simpler when we just had a 1961 Chevy short bed, a K-mart 3-man tent and a Bultaco dirtbike. ๐Ÿ™‚

Brad

I hear ya. We live on a lake, and although our "fleet" has downsized, we too, have too many things with motors (although my grandkids would say other wise....LOL!)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess it would make sense to keep the tc for times when needed it.

It just seems like if you own too much stuff, your stuff starts to own you. I'm kinda geting that point already. Every time I turn around something needs the oil changed or worked on or something. Life was simpler when we just had a 1961 Chevy short bed, a K-mart 3-man tent and a Bultaco dirtbike. ๐Ÿ™‚

Brad
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

endalby
Explorer
Explorer
Understand completely. We purchased our camper when our kids were 2 y/o and the other 3 months. Now they are 10 and 8. DW, the kids, and I have been looking at toy haulers. Not saying we are going to get one (except they kids, they would love it) but with a family of 4 (and a 75lb lab)the extra space seems nice. We love going to state and national parks and some of the parks we love we couldn't get a 5th wheel into. Plus I also tow either the Jeep or boat often and I would lose that (my boat weights 7K so I can't triple tow it).
08 F350, DRW, 4WD, DSL
07 Lance 1131
1 wife, two kids, and a dog

My wife and I sold the Bigfoot two years ago and bought a small fifth wheel 27'. I don't think we will ever go back.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Mad Norsky wrote:
The problem you're gonna have is finding a fifth wheel with the same quality and dependability as your Lance camper you have now.

While I don't have one from everything I know these are even higher quality then your truck camper:

Escape 5th wheel

They are also pretty small, arguably smaller inside than a large TC with a slide, and very hard to get. I think production is sold out for the year.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brad, we did pretty much the same thing only with a TT. But KEEP the TC!!! So now I have my TC and DW has her TT!! She is just too claustrophobic for my pop up. We decided on a TT vs a 5'er for two reasons. Pickup bed stays free for toys/gear and not having to mess with that heavy hitch switching back to the TC.

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I should have explained that when we were towing our 5er around, we were looking for places to Snowbird. We ended up buying a S&B condo - it wasn't much different in price than other options.

So now that we have a Snowbirding HQ - our other travels will be sightseeing trips; and the TC is perfect for that!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Fifth Wheel owner here - our plan is to get a pickup camper, with three slides, when we feel we either can't handle the fifth wheel or don't want to anymore.

Then you can camp on the Bull Trout side instead of North Lake!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

That's right! In fact, we would probably camp on the road going in off one of the smaller lakes.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ReneeG wrote:
Fifth Wheel owner here - our plan is to get a pickup camper, with three slides, when we feel we either can't handle the fifth wheel or don't want to anymore.

Then you can camp on the Bull Trout side instead of North Lake!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Time to triple tow Brad!... Tow the off road jeep on a trailer behind the fiver! ๐Ÿ™‚

Whatever you do, don't stop camping or having fun!

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992