cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I want an Airstream. Wife wants to keep our diesel pusher.

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
We started Rving about 13 yrs ago. Started with a Dually and a 40" Toyhauler. Then 3 yrs later we got our current RV. 40' diesel pusher with bunks towing a 18' enclosed trailer for the dirt bikes and ATV's. 64' long! Geez. Kids are 18 and 16 and are no longer interested in going Rving. I want something that will allow us to go to the places we couldn't fit in before. State, Provincial, and National Parks. I need help convincing my wonderful wife that we can have a great time in something smaller. Please Help!
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s
30 REPLIES 30

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those saying "keep the MH" remember OP said MH with bunks! Maybe not the best floor plan for two people.

We are roofing our 39'4" 5th wheel and leaving it in our NW membership RV park. We just purchased a Laredo 225MK bumper pull as a commuter rig to travel back and forth to out park model in Arizona, and short side trips.

Yes the TT takes longer to setup and hook up. However at 26'11" in length it will fit in state parks and be easier in fuel stations, on and on. A month from now we will be on the road South and I will know more about our decision.

The trailer that we picked has over 1900 pounds for carrying capacity, so we well be able to load it was lot of "stuff" we want to take back and forth to Arizona. With a 8K GVWR, our 2015 RAM 3500 SRW truck handles it effortlessly. I am hoping to 14-15 MPG.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about going from a motorhome to a travel trailer (I'm looking at going the other way!) but I do know it is a huge mistake to sell the dirt bikes! I tried that once, I became so grouchy my wife made me start riding again.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
someone wrote:
Happy Wife Happy....

Reminds me of another term: Hen-pecked

x2

Two types of married men....hen-pecked and liars.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
We are just on our way home after our very last dirt biking trip. We went to East Fort Rock just outside of Bend, Oregon. It's a special and beautiful place. But I sure won't miss the dust and dirt from Boondocking in the middle of nowhere. I would miss a few things from the DP. Like the big shower, all the room and the option to bring so much stuff. Getting rid of the bikes and quads means 4 less vehicles for me to clean and maintain.
We will not jump into selling the DP until next spring at the earliest. Maybe I'll change my mind and keep the Coach. I'm building a Hot Rod VW and it fit's in our trailer so I could haul it to a few car shows along the west coast. Felling very fortunate to have many options.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2007 Yamaha YZ250F

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
someone wrote:
Happy Wife Happy....

x2

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
someone wrote:
Happy Wife Happy....

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
U-turn is very expensive so I would give the existing RV 12 months and see where it goes. Please give DW a chance to drive if you no longer feel comfortable.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a 40 DP. Pulled a vehicle behind it. 12 years, 85000 miles. 3 years ago we sold it. Initially we were out and about for 6 to 7 months in the year. Towards the end of 12 years we realized we were only spending about 3 months out of the year in it. 3 years ago we downsized to a 22 ft Lance trailer. We spend the summer on the Oregon/ Washington Coast. It works quite well. Only occasionally do I miss by 40 footer.
So we did our time with the big boys and traveled the U.S. , Canada and Mexico. I didn't buy my DP with the idea that it was going to be cheap to operate. It was in fact a " depreciating asset" and I knew that going into the purchase. We thoroughly enjoyed the 85000 miles in our DP and wouldn't have changed a thing. That was then. Times and needs change. We thoroughly enjoy our 22 ft Lance and its enough room for us. The added bonus and stuff for your wife; One DP tire: $650.00. 4 trailer tires $550.00. Insurance DP $1100.00. Insurance Trailer: $300.00. DP , 8 MPG. Trailer towed; 13MPG. I could go on but ya get the point. Obviously this isn't for everyone, but it works for us. Good luck.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
"Happy wife happy life." does not have to make sense.

Safety, comfort, reliability and a host of other things are relative items, hence logic has little influence in the opinion.

Our TT size was based on easy to understand decisions. Weight was half ton towable, or bigger truck. Cost was within budget, no explanation needed, length was 25 ft. or so, if we wanted to hunt down quit shops and city attractions, she picks the floor plan, it was not particularly important to me.

Oh yes 52 years of marriage helps. ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Have you taken a look at an Outdoors RV? They are built in your neck of the woods.
ORV 24RLS Timber Ridge w/Titanium package

Also, keep an eye out for the soon to be released Sol from IntechRV. Supposedly near the end of September. All aluminum frame, maybe a tandem axle, small, but fully outfitted and well built.
IntechRV

Hey, here's a teaser on their Facebook page:
IntechRV Sol.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
We just sold our 40" DP and am thinking of a small TT for 2-3 nite trips within 300-400 miles only, but mostly within 100 mile radius! Had the DP for 14 years and 106K miles.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
IB853347201 wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
Keep the wife happy and keep the DP. Get a toad to get around. I drove cross country with a 40' DP and toad and it was no big deal.

X2. Remember, Happy Wife, Happy ....

I hate this comment. It`s never made any sense! I`ve seen it used to the point where safety was involved! And "happy wife happy life" and traveling unhappy because she is happy. If someone always has to give in that much, then it`s not a happy life!!!
I agree its a two way street. Only thing with my wife is that if she gets mad she stays that way longer than I do and she never forgets. Im glad we get along most always. ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
The DP does have it benefits. Ease of set up, comfort driving down the road, lots of storage. But it's now 9 yrs old and always in meed of some repairs. I am very handy and do almost all the repairs myself. But of the 4 vehicles I own, none can be flat towed. So then I need another vehicle. Once we set up camp, I spend very little time inside, rain or shine. My DW is happy inside in her spot on the couch to read. We really don't need all the room a DP has. With the kids no longer going we can get away with much less gear with us so storage is not that important. A tow vehicle can be written off by my business.
I'll work on her slowly. This may take some time.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2007 Yamaha YZ250F

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m kind of over the 40 (38โ€™) DP as well. Thought hard about downsizing to TT but backing blind, no bathroom in the cab, probably no washer donโ€™t compute.

Thinking of switching to a 32-35 gas. Look at the Bounder 32K or35K.

Still tall but those fewer feet will open up a lot of sites on RESERVEAMERICA.

And I like towing a nimble, easy to park Honda Element instead of a truck.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.