cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importance of Camper Package on new DRW truck

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking for a truck and often find one with exactly what I want but missing the camper package or heavy front suspension option. I am looking mainly at F450's but might go F350 if the price is right. TC will be a low 4k wet weight. Is it a bad idea to just get one without the extra stuff the camper package adds?
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)
26 REPLIES 26

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ True dat. Another misconception like a heavier (diesel) engine takes away from payload in the truck bed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
finsruskw wrote:
Heavy front suspension, IMHO, will be a waste as many T/C's, depending on the COG, take weight OFF the front axle instead of adding it.
Mt 1181 Lance takes 400 # off the front axle when loaded.

In a static situation that’s true. However, in a turn the front suspension creates and takes a lot of the roll-over force. The outside front tire and suspension are loaded heavy at that time.
The front does a lot in a curve.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
TxGearhead wrote:
^^^my understanding is the RAM truck battery is not isolated from the camper batteries. While I don't do much boondocking, I don't want to drain the RAM batteries, and can easily unplug the bumper outlet if I am running off the camper batteries a few days.

Earlier GM trucks didn't have battery isolation either.

My camper dealer installed a solenoid. I later upgraded the wiring.

My video: Truck wiring upgrade for RV battery charging
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Heavy front suspension, IMHO, will be a waste as many T/C's, depending on the COG, take weight OFF the front axle instead of adding it.
Mt 1181 Lance takes 400 # off the front axle when loaded.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
^^^my understanding is the RAM truck battery is not isolated from the camper batteries. While I don't do much boondocking, I don't want to drain the RAM batteries, and can easily unplug the bumper outlet if I am running off the camper batteries a few days.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
TX Gearhead, just as a curious question, why do you prefer using the plug back at the bumper?
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
The OP purchased a Ford F450.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going RAM there is no camper package. Only thing I've seen related is the 5th wheel pucks and gooseneck package that includes the in-bed 7 pin hook up. If I didn't have the 5th wheel I wouldn't get that as I prefer to use the bumper 7 pin outlet.
I put a Helwig Big Wig on and it works very well for the Bigfoot which is 4300-4400 loaded heavy and a full tank of water. The front axle gains 200 pounds.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
The Ford camper package provides a rear sway but it is a whimpy sway bar for a heavy camper.
Rear axle weight tends to unload the front axle, so no additional spring are needed in front.
Better to get a heavy duty aftermarket sway bar. I would avoid air bags until after the sway bar installation.

Not in this case. All duallies have rear sway bar.
My 2017 F350 carries 6500 lb camper just fine. The only mod I did was sulastic hangers for empty drive improvement.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am going Diesel. No gas trucks anywhere to be had. Don't want to wait for 90 days to get a special order, then find I want a fifth wheel that is too big for the gas to pull.

Bedlam
Look on page 34 of the 2019 brochure:

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?bodystyle=Truck&make=Ford&model=SuperDuty&year=2019

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are not saying if gas or diesel. I have a 350 diesel and would recommend all tow packages.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ford camper package provides a rear sway but it is a whimpy sway bar for a heavy camper.
Rear axle weight tends to unload the front axle, so no additional spring are needed in front.
Better to get a heavy duty aftermarket sway bar. I would avoid air bags until after the sway bar installation.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I plan to get a truck and get it all set up for a TC. Likely add air bags and if needed, will add any sway bars and stuff.