cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Indoor/outdoor thermometer

pcoplin
Explorer
Explorer
Can you recommend a good digital thermometer that will let me know the inside and outside temps? Hopefully one that has a wireless outside meter?

Thanks!
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B
27 REPLIES 27

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootford wrote:
ab257 wrote:
I have the Ambient Weather 5 station monitor: inside, outside, fridge, freezer and basement.

Can you provide a link for this product?

Thanks,

Jim

WS10

I bought a couple of extra transmitters. It comes with 3, and can take up to 8. It continuously displays 4, and you have to manually cycle to see the others.

Also bought an extra console for the truck cab, since the truck doesn't have a outdoor temp gauge.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

kayco53
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a cheap wireless one $10. On the outside one I mounted a magnet on and just put it in box.
2007 GMC 2500hd
2011 Creekside 23RKS

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
We have several Taylor in/outdoor thermometers (cheap from local hardware). Pretty accurate and several years old. Works well but setup is quirky and changing the batteries in remote senders takes a screwdriver.
One, wireless remote used in the camper refrigerator. Nice just glancing at refer temp.

The other in camper has a hardwired sender thats by dinette. I ran along window sill into cabinet and into refer outside compartment. The probe is next to grill opening. Gets outside air and unaffected by refer while being protected from direct sun/rain.

Margaret has one in the house, because all are set to channel 1, when its remote batteries get low it'll start reading the camper which is closer. (Or when temp doesnt change its time to change her batteries:) The remote units take up to 3 senders.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, Keep in mind that there is the possibility that the product coming off the assembly line today may very well NOT be the same quality that was produced 5 years ago. Yes, I am talking about the remote sensor. Chuck

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
chuckbear wrote:
We have experience with a number of Accurite systems. Early sensor failure and poor customer support has been our experience so far. Chuck

Bummer, guess you are talking about the remote sensor..

My remote sensor is out of the elements in the area of my holding tanks... That is the area I want to monitor.. Think my Accurite system is well over 5 years old and have replaced the batteries on the remote 2 or 3 times.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We have experience with a number of Accurite systems. Early sensor failure and poor customer support has been our experience so far. Chuck

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TempMinder from Camping World with three wireless sensor modules and a builtin sensor. Saves Min/Max temps for all four but otherwise doesn't do much else.

It was invaluable recently to see what the temps were as it was freezing outside. When at camp I left one on the truck bumper, another in the valve compartment and the third in the outside shower compartment. When travelling we moved the outside one into the basement. I was surprised that even the shower compartment stayed about 5-10 degrees above outside temp. So now I know that for a few hours anyway I'm ok travelling at 27F without having to winterize.

The wireless works with the station in the camper or the truck or in my living room with the camper in the driveway so range is good. Don't know how long the batteries will last. One month so far.

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Bookumdanno wrote:
Here's the web site.
http://www.ambientweather.com/with.html

Was asking about the product link or a model number!

I searched and found the website...

http://www.ambientweather.com/with.htm

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
I just use a basic indoor/outdoor with wireless remote from Cabela's that I picked up for around $15.00. I use a velcro strip on the back of my camper near the door for the remote (hopefully less chance of forgetting it's out there).
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Bookumdanno
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the web site.
http://www.ambientweather.com/with.html
2020 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Grand Design Transcend 30RBS

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
i use the accurite that several others have linked as well. batteries have lasted about half a year so far in fairly cold temps. it shows there's about 1/3 left. we'll see if that comes back up when it warms up. so i'd say battery life is decent/about what i was expecting. it also keeps track of highs and lows from the past 24 hrs which is handy to see if the fridge or freezer is getting to warm some of the time.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
One issue you will run into is where to locate the outside sensor. You want the sensor to give accurate readings but also to be at a location where the sensor is somewhat protected and you don't have to worry about it.

The biggest problem I have found is getting an accurate reading. I have attached (Velcro, lots of patches on the truck and camper from experimenting ๐Ÿ™‚ ) sensors in places including the inside of the truck bed, in the propane compartment, and on the side of the camper just behind the truck bed side amount other places. They all have read high (I'm talking about getting good cold weather readings). Best accuracy is to put the sensor away from the truck and camper but then it's too easy to forget the sensor when you leave. So far the best spot seems to be behind the gas tank door on the truck but I do worry it will fall out sometime while filling up with gas.

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
ab257 wrote:
I have the Ambient Weather 5 station monitor: inside, outside, fridge, freezer and basement.

Can you provide a link for this product?

Thanks,

Jim

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Accuweather station for the inside and outside weather.

I place the outside sensor inside the gray black tank area... I want to know how cold that area is getting not the outside.

Jim