cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing Torklift GlowSteps on a Lance Camper

Mike_Stanbro
Explorer
Explorer
I figured out a way to install Torklift's GlowStep scissor steps on my Lance camper that does not involve any drilling on the camper or additional hardware. I am posting this as I did a fairly exhaustive search on how others have installed their steps and didn't see anyone come up with this simple idea.

Here are two pictures of the steps mounted to the camper using the existing mounting brackets that the stock, single step mounts to.

To achieve this, I had to move the top-most struts of the GlowSteps, the part that attaches to the camper, to the outside of the step assembly. I simply reversed the long and short struts shown in the next picture. Without this, the steps will not fit within the existing brackets on the camper. As you can see in the first picture, they just barely fit after the modification. If necessary, you could further widen them by adding additional washers where the struts bolt together on the step assembly. Also, the holes in the long struts had to be enlarged to 3/8" to fit the clevis pins.

Here is my first attempt at how they will be secured while traveling. Not the most elegant solution but quick and simple.

Here is Smitty checking things out. Every cat we have ever had likes to climb stairs and Smitty is no different. He is ready for some truck camper camping!

Mike Stanbro
Portland, OR
10 REPLIES 10

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great. The hand rail is another great addition. Recommend a leather strap or something that resists abrasions for stowing the steps. Avoid bungee cords and plastic zip ties.

Mike_Stanbro
Explorer
Explorer
kerry4951 wrote:
Same system works well on Arctic Fox. Ive been using this method for the past 2 years. Works well when towing.

And here I was thinking I had figured something out that no one else had. I swear, I spent the better part of three days searching all the forum archives looking at how other people had mounted their steps. Did you post a picture of your setup before? If so, I sure was not able to find it.

I see that the GlowSteps are mounted on the outside of the OEM step brackets such that the just the ends of the clevis pins are bearing the weight. If you switch the long and short sides of the struts like I did, it will likely fit inside the brackets and be that much stronger; however, the OEM step would not fit. I decided I was never going to use the OEM step so that was not a concern for me.
Mike Stanbro
Portland, OR

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Same system works well on Arctic Fox. Ive been using this method for the past 2 years. Works well when towing.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Mike_Stanbro
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
Looks good Mike. How high is the top of your step bumper on the camper to the ground with your set-up?

It looks like this would prevent towing with that hanging there. How hard is it to remove/install?

The height from the top of the step bumper to the ground is about 30 inches when the camper is on my truck. The three-step GlowStep is spec'ed to be at 27 inches which is almost exactly the distance from the bottom of the bumper to the ground. In other words, darn near a perfect fit.

Yes, it will have to be removed or moved to the side position for towing - same as the OEM step. It is held on with the OEM clevis pins so it is quick to remove. Also, there are additional OEM brackets on the right side of the bumper where the steps can be hung that are out of the way of the tow hitch. This picture shows the steps mounted in the right-side position.

Mike Stanbro
Portland, OR

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
oic, won't be long and all my accumulated injuries will start catching up with me.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Mike_Stanbro
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
I guess maybe I'm a bit confused but that looks like a bracket for an OEM step, why did you remove the original step?

My wife has a bad knee and she needed an additional step. The OEM step has just too much of a gap for her to handle. Sucks getting old.
Mike Stanbro
Portland, OR

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I guess maybe I'm a bit confused but that looks like a bracket for an OEM step, why did you remove the original step?
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Great job, Mike. The ingenuity of the TC community never ceases to amaze me.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice job!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good Mike. How high is the top of your step bumper on the camper to the ground with your set-up?

It looks like this would prevent towing with that hanging there. How hard is it to remove/install?