cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Integrated Brake controller

midships
Explorer
Explorer
hI Folks... I need help! Upgraded my 2009 dually for a 2017 Ram diesel dually this year and with it went from an aftermarket (Prodigy) controller to the integrated one supplied by Dodge. I pull a Jayco Eagle and am very disappointed with the controller. With the Prodigy I was able to pretty much lock-up the brakes but with this new one I can't come anywhere near that braking power. I have it set for heavy electric and run it all the time at gain 10, the max but seem to get from very little braking to maybe 30% of what I should have when I check the system by activating the manual levers on the dash! Is it my lack of understanding how this new (to me) system works? Should I get the max breaking power when I manually activate the system? Hope someone can enlighten me.. Thanks Paul
5 REPLIES 5

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I found the same issue with my 12 Ram CTD. It seems that the TBC works when in full tilt panic mode, like when you hit the brakes hard and fast. It's the slow 1/2 way mode that I feel nothing.
I got tired of it and bought a P3. Problem solved. I run 0 boost in town and in the CG and B2 on the road.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
Why would you want to lock up your brakes? I'm not certain, but I think the Chrysler controller is proportional based on the brake pedal. Unless you're locking your tow vehicle brakes, the trailer brakes aren't going to lock either. In one of the menus you can get a graph of the braking power being applied. With the graph, mine doesn't even go 1/2 way when I slide the test lever, but I've seen it go much higher when testing panic stops in a parking lot, stomping on the brake pedal.

The Prodigy use a pendulum for their proportional response... my P2 was getting fooled all the time coming to a stop on a steep driveway aprons, because of the tilt it was misreading the pendulum and applying way too much braking power. Never had that problem since switching to the Chrysler controller.

I believe setting up the brake controller to "lock up" the brakes was something mentioned in the Prodigy manual.

Once lockup is achieved then you REDUCE the output setting until no more lockup..

Then you can simply adjust the feel of the trailer brakes as you lower the output.

The idea is to be able to find the max, then set it just below the lockup point as a beginning reference point and allows for maximum braking of the trailer brakes..

The problem however with newer Integrated brake controllers "locking up" the trailer brakes is often not possible at low speeds since the IBC is designed to REDUCE the max output at LOW SPEEDS.

I believe that is for safety reasons so you cannot accidentally lock the trailer brakes at low speed.

Didn't look at the link given but I do recall reading there is a lot of complaints on some newer Ram trucks where they cannot get enough brake output to even feel the trailer brakes..

Not sure if Ram has addressed that or not..

But, OP should consider checking their brake system on the trailer, make sure the brake adjusters are set correctly.

Then, I would address the cheap wiring on the trailer..

Most trailer manufacturers only put a heavy enough wire ga to address the maximum current flow. That is typically 14 ga..

While 14 ga is OK for 15A it presents a lot of RESISTANCE which by the time it gets to the brake magnets a lot of voltage has been dropped..

Voltage drop means the magnets will not have as much strength..

Less magnetic strength = less braking power.

Additionally, trailer manufacturers typically use non weather proof connectors.. This means over time those connections corrode which now increases the RESISTANCE at that connection which means even less magnetic strength at the brakes..

The fix is to replace and UPGRADE the wiring ga.

I used two pairs of 10 ga wire which drops considerably less voltage..

I also like to use weather proof connectors..

If none of that works for the OP then they may only have one thing they can do.. Replace the IBC with a aftermarket controller.. Most likely Ram will find nothing wrong and send the OP on their way which is pretty much the norm for all manufacturers now days :M ..

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is another thread on Ram diesel and controllers.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28727202/print/true.cfm

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you want to lock up your brakes? I'm not certain, but I think the Chrysler controller is proportional based on the brake pedal. Unless you're locking your tow vehicle brakes, the trailer brakes aren't going to lock either. In one of the menus you can get a graph of the braking power being applied. With the graph, mine doesn't even go 1/2 way when I slide the test lever, but I've seen it go much higher when testing panic stops in a parking lot, stomping on the brake pedal.

The Prodigy use a pendulum for their proportional response... my P2 was getting fooled all the time coming to a stop on a steep driveway aprons, because of the tilt it was misreading the pendulum and applying way too much braking power. Never had that problem since switching to the Chrysler controller.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
I have an integrated brake controller in my 2013 Expedition and, yes, when I activate it manually to test it at 20 mph or so, the brakes lock up if I squeeze the lever all the way. And that is with the gain set at 6 out of 10. Does not sound like yours is functioning correctly. Get it checked at the dealer.
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch