cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interior insulation

bamaboy
Explorer
Explorer
The high was 100 yesterday and the south facing wall and the ceiling of my Coleman TT felt like a space heater. Does anybody have any suggestions for non-fiberglass insulation that I could use in the interior? I tried reflectix bit it doesnt seem to do much except on the windows.
7 REPLIES 7

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Use a screw that is about 3/8โ€ longer than foam board with a fender washer.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer is well insulated up top except for the slide. I could feel the heat on my head. I laid a length of reflectix on the outside roof and noticed a temperature drop right away.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Nana,

I feel your pain. I spent a Summer in Las Vegas Nevada working a contract job. It was miserable. 120F outside and only one roof air.

I could not wait to get out of there.

While I don't plan on repeating that experience I am putting over 2" of closed cell polyurethane insulation in the floor, walls and ceiling in my new rig.

Good luck.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

bamaboy
Explorer
Explorer
I've done what I can on the outside. Was really hoping somebody had an idea of some way to insulate the ceiling on the inside. Right now I'm covering the ceiling with foam board which is R5 at least, but having trouble getting it to stick using double sided tape. I live full time outside Austin because of my job, so no option to move north yet. Thanks federal government for making people specifically born in 1955 wait longer to get full social security.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
interior insulation is not going to help much. Far better to put even a plastic tarp on the exterior with an air gap. Use "space cloth" if you can find it.

Yep. since you have the reflectix put it on the outside with the shiny side away from the unit.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
interior insulation is not going to help much. Far better to put even a plastic tarp on the exterior with an air gap. Use "space cloth" if you can find it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Reflectix is not much good as far as insulation goes. It makes a convenient windshield cover.

Sheet foam insulation may be an option. It's easy to work with and readily available.

The highest R value per inch of insulation board would be Polyisocyanurate with an R value of 6.5-7per inch. I don't care much for working with it as it crumbles an makes a mess.

Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) is my preference but only R-5 per inch.

By far the best solution is:

https://www.amazon.com/Reliable-Outdoor-Gear-Professional-Compass/dp/B0759LHB92/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Compass&qid=1560192380&s=gateway&sr=8-4

If I get unbearably warm, I point the little pointer at "N" and step on the long skinny pedal....
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....