Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Invertor Turns on and off frequently

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

On our camper last weekend, we noticed when plugged in to elecric, the invertor keeps turing on and off. Very frequently. We going to camping this weekend and it's supposed to 85-90 degrees. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
K_and_I wrote:
The stock converter is probably a WFC converter.

WFCO ... arguably the most commonly used converter in RVs these days. WFCOs have a thermostatically controlled cooling fan triggered by load & temperature. If the OP is actually referring to his converter and not an inverter then it's probably doing exactly what it should be doing.

Probably the correct assessment ๐Ÿ˜‰

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Deano_1 wrote:
Hello,

On our camper last weekend, we noticed when plugged in to elecric, the invertor keeps turing on and off. Very frequently. We going to camping this weekend and it's supposed to 85-90 degrees. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks!

You want guesses?

What is the brand and model of inverter, maybe give us something to work with?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:
The stock converter is probably a WFC converter.

WFCO ... arguably the most commonly used converter in RVs these days. WFCOs have a thermostatically controlled cooling fan triggered by load & temperature. If the OP is actually referring to his converter and not an inverter then it's probably doing exactly what it should be doing.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
It could be either item mentioned. The stock converter is probably a WFC converter. Mine ran the cooling fans regularly while plugged into shore power. Listen at the fuse panel to see if that is what you're hearing. Also, depending on make, some refrigerators have fans behind them to draw the hot air up and out of the roof vent. I'm sitting in my camper now, and that fan cycles on/off every 5 minutes or so during the warmer part of the day. The fan or fans could be replaced by quieter ones, but it doesn't bother me enough to do the work required to replace them. When I replaced the WFC converter with a better one, that cooling fan rarely comes on.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Deano_1 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!

An inverter turns 12v battery power into 120v AC for camping with no electric hookups. Do you mean the converter, where your fuse panel is? If you hear the converter fan running, that usually means it is charging the trailer's battery.

Check the water level in the battery. If low, add some distilled water. If you have a meter, test the battery's voltage when not connected to the trailer's system. Should be at least 12v, a full charge is 12.8 +.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Deano_1 wrote:

If you're plugged into shore power why would you be running an inverter anyway? ... and what's the expected temperature this weekend got to do with this? :h You need to be more specific - make / model of rig, make / model of inverter, and why you need it when you have shore power ... 'cause what you've posted doesn't make a whole lot of sense. :@
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
As I think more about this, could it be a vent fan for the fridge?

Thanks,