cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is my battery toast?

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6 year old deep cycle battery for my TT. Has always worked fine even though we are always hooked to electric when we camp.. When I pulled the battery a couple weeks ago when I winterized the TT and put the battery in my garage to charge it ( haven't used the TT for several months) I noticed the water levels were low in several cells and the plates were not covered on 3 of the 6 cells . I added distilled water and filled them. On the charger I noticed it is making a bubbling noise and the battery is warm. Is this battery toast? Did the water levels get too low and the almost half gallon of water caused damage? Or am I kidding myself with a 6 year old battery?
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch
15 REPLIES 15

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
And if my TT was in winter hibernation, I would not replace it now.
Just wait until spring when you are going to awaken your TT from it's long winter sleep.

Unless you plan on using it during the winter, of course.

temccarthy1 wrote:
OP here...Thanks for all the replies. I tried charging it for a full day but the charger circuit break flipped. The great majority of you are correct--it is apparently shot! Will replace..
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
OP here...Thanks for all the replies. I tried charging it for a full day but the charger circuit break flipped. The great majority of you are correct--it is apparently shot! Will replace..
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We had a mechanic who could smell a battery and tell it was going bad.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Exposed plates means sulfation. I would charge it until it stops taking it, then have it load tested. But it's most likely shot.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
Its shot after 6 years. You sound like my wife. She tries to get two months out of a stick of gum. Time to spend.
For a second there, I thought you meant your wife was shot after six years. :B

Seriously, she should last a lifetime. ๐Ÿ™‚

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Exposed plates means the battery is done. Replace it.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Its shot after 6 years. You sound like my wife. She tries to get two months out of a stick of gum. Time to spend.
Dennis Hoppert

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bubbling while charging is normal and not a sign of a bad battery.
If you don't use the battery much it is probably fine for several more years. Just because it was low on water does not make it toast, especially the way you use it.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
....I am getting one more battery box and getting 2 GC2 6 volt batteries, also at costco for about the same money. They are true deep cycles and are made to be discharged further without damage. With new cables and boxes it will be about $225 for way more than double capacity. Should allow me to run anything I need overnight without worry that I will wake up cold.

Good assessment of your battery use and the 6V's. I have a pair of Sam's Club 6V's in my trailer that are 5+ yrs old. They don't get abused, often. Today might be a good day to check them and see how they're aging but I'll bet that they go at least 10 years. I have them charging with solar every day.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this battery toast? Yep!

6 years is a good run. You did well with it. Time for a new one.

If your camper is a pedestal princess like mine I agree any rebranded Johnson Controls hybrid battery is a good buy. Those are generally the Costco, Sam's/Wal-Mart brands. I've had good luck with the Wal-Mart 27D.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Six years is about the normal life expectancy anyway. For $80 Costco has brand new marine/rv "deep cycle" batteries. Not a true deep cycle but undoubtedly better than what you have even if you get it to hold a charge.

I am getting one more battery box and getting 2 GC2 6 volt batteries, also at costco for about the same money. They are true deep cycles and are made to be discharged further without damage. With new cables and boxes it will be about $225 for way more than double capacity. Should allow me to run anything I need overnight without worry that I will wake up cold. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
TOASTED. โ€œeven though we are always hooked to electric when we campโ€ Why? Miss so many beautiful places when you require tethering.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shot. Let it sit disconnected and get a new battery next season.