cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Ford Escape worthless for fullfilling my dream? :-(

GaiaGoddess
Explorer
Explorer
I've had this dream to live in an RV (travel trailer, specifically) for about 5 or 6 years now. I was drawn to the Ford Escape and was happy to learn they can tow up to 3500 pounds. I bought one last year. Step one complete!

Now i've run into a problem...people are telling me my Escape shouldn't tow that much, it's not safe. I heard horror stories about Escapes not being able to handle it. They recommend I stick to 2000 pounds or less, but what trailers weigh that little?! I want to live in this thing which means it needs to be self sustainable, with a full kitchen, bathroom, and at least a full size bed. All the trailers I found with that stuff are at least 3000 pounds. And then you have to figure the weight of the fluids and cargo, which would be a lot since i'd be living in it. I cannot live in a pop up camper or a teardrop camper.

Are there any decent trailers I can safely tow? Is my Escape worthless for what I wanted to do with it? I bought it specifically for this reason! By the way, it's a 2008 6-cylinder automatic transmission, front wheel drive. There is no towing package on it yet but I was planning on having one put on, IF I can even find a trailer I can tow! Any advice?
359 REPLIES 359

bimbert84
Explorer
Explorer
xzyfsk wrote:

It is rated at 3500 towing. I tow 2500...

Big difference.

xzyfsk wrote:

I tow flat trailers and don't have to deal with all the wind resistance.

Huge difference.

-- Rob
2013 F-150 SCREW 4x4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73, 7650# GVWR, 1826# payload
2004 Springdale 295BHL, 31'5", 7300# loaded
Hensley hitch

xzyfsk
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 escape that I bought new. It is rated at 3500 towing. It will do that easily. That being said I tow flat trailers and don't have to deal with all the wind resistance. I tow 2500 and it can hardly tell that it is there. About 90% of the time I am in overdrive. I do live in the flatlands. I have had a much as 500lbs tongue weight with a motorcycle carrier.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Let this thread DIE and fade back into obscurity
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a-d-s wrote:
http://safaricondo.com/alto1713/indexeng.php

I havent' read all 35 pages of the thread so this may have already come up but, this may be the ticket. It's not cheap and it doesn't have a full bath or large kitchen. But when the roof is lowered it presents much less frontal area than a traditional TT.

neat but $27,000.??
bumpy

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
http://safaricondo.com/alto1713/indexeng.php

I havent' read all 35 pages of the thread so this may have already come up but, this may be the ticket. It's not cheap and it doesn't have a full bath or large kitchen. But when the roof is lowered it presents much less frontal area than a traditional TT.
2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb

acountrycaver
Explorer
Explorer
From another female with limited vehicle, load limits or mechanical knowledge,,,,,I suggest you think outside of the box. I've compromised between my wants and my needs based on my not wanting to replace my 2007 Ford Escape. I had Haulin by Forest River customize a 6 x 12 mini-wedge enclosed cargo trailer to use as my travel trailer. With double cargo doors at the rear, a side cargo door with RV handle, 2 windows 48x30 and a 15x30 window, and insulation in the ceilings and walls. The company was very easy to work with and can pretty much add/delete any feature you choose. I have a great start on a modest TT. I also had several other upgrades and all for less than $4000 and a dry weight of 1431 lbs. I'm adding a memory foam bed, cabinets, etc. and what I call my hybird shower and sink (shower stall with solar shower setup and kitchen sink, which both empty into movable tank under the TT when parked) 2 burner stove and of course a porta pot. I just bought the cargo trailer and have painted the existing plywood walls and ceiling and put down a vinyl floor. My goal is to have a dry weight between 1800-2000 pounds, which I should be able to do using light weight but strong materials. For one person I figure I will not need more than 400 pounds carry on putting me at 2400 total plus a person/people and gas weight. I have already made two 400 mile trips with camping gear (probably enough to offset the permanent fixtures) and the trailer has pulled, stopped and manuevered like a dream. I turn the OD off when pulling the trailer and the rpms are only slightly above plain driving, the vehicle climbs small mountains without changing gears (Monteagle TN if you know the area) and the gas mileage went from 22 to 15 mpg at 65 mph which isn't bad. I have had no swaying, even when large trucks zoom by me or the wind gusts. I am fully conscious that I am pulling the trailer and drive accordingly but a lot of the time I physically can't even tell it's back there. Maybe a cargo conversion would be a good alternative over a teardrop (I just couldn't convince myselt a teardrop would be comfortable enough) and you could still afford to have the type trailer you want for your permanent location. Again, the only thing I can go by is actual experience in pulling and staying in the camper. How it handles in an emergency is yet to be seen but like any other thing we do in life,,,,,,we cannot predict what might happen or what the results might be. Just be prepared, careful and drive defensively. Granted if I had plenty of money and could get exactly what I want I would have one of those nice pull behinds or 5 wheels but I simply don't have $70+ just to go camping. These are just my thoughts and I can only take responsibility for my own safety and well being ,,,,,,,but I'm not afraid and am having a good time:)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
hertfordnc wrote:
I think GG arrived at an answer that will work for her (until she puts a few miles on it realizes huw much towing with a small vehicle sucks)

Am i the only one that thinks if the OP was a guy we'd have wrapped it up in two pages and he probably would have left in a huff?

my sediments exactly. 🙂
we are just too kind and gallant.
bumpy

challeno
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Ric Flair wrote:
I don't think we've fully explored this subject. Did the OP ever get an answer?

This thread is like a car wreck, I keep checking in to see the carnage!

:B ,,, :B
2010 Copper Canyon 252FWRLS -Towed by,09 Ram 2500 HD SXT Quad Cab TRX4 Off-Road PLUS my Latest Edition > 1992 F350 Dually powered by a International 7.3 IDI,Banks Turbo :B

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
I think GG arrived at an answer that will work for her (until she puts a few miles on it realizes huw much towing with a small vehicle sucks)

Am i the only one that thinks if the OP was a guy we'd have wrapped it up in two pages and he probably would have left in a huff?
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon
1976 GMC Birchaven (hot rod with plumbing)

Finding propane leaks with a match and towing in overdrive since 1987.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ric Flair wrote:

This thread is like a car wreck, I keep checking in to see the carnage!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ric Flair wrote:

I agree, we need another 17 pages of suspenseful posts.
bumpy

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
bimbert84 wrote:
carringb wrote:

6) One of my customers ... towed a 18' full-size TT with her 2010 Escape hybrid. She was 5x her tow rating (maybe more), but she LOVED the way it towed, including pulling in the hills.

I'm calling shenanigans here. She was 5 times her tow rating??? That's 17,500 pounds.

-- Rob

The Escape hybrid has a 1000 lb tow rating.

bimbert84
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:

1) The Escape has more payload than most CUVs.

That's irrelevant. What's relevant is whether or not the Escape, as loaded, has enough leftover payload to tow the trailer it's hitched to.

carringb wrote:

3) Traveling solo should make staying under GVWR achievable, as long as the car is packed smart and the trailer is setup correctly.

Maybe, but only if one understands how to pack it smartly and set it up correctly. And it certainly depends on the particular trailer it's hitched to.

carringb wrote:

4) Exceeding GCWR may make the car work harder

It will make the car work harder. Towing is a severe strain on any vehicle. Towing overweight is a recipe for premature death.

carringb wrote:

6) One of my customers ... towed a 18' full-size TT with her 2010 Escape hybrid. She was 5x her tow rating (maybe more), but she LOVED the way it towed, including pulling in the hills.

I'm calling shenanigans here. She was 5 times her tow rating??? That's 17,500 pounds.

-- Rob
2013 F-150 SCREW 4x4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73, 7650# GVWR, 1826# payload
2004 Springdale 295BHL, 31'5", 7300# loaded
Hensley hitch

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another one:

Takena Curv

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer