cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there a free VIN decoder that will show specs/options?

Matt1221
Explorer
Explorer
9 REPLIES 9

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Matt1221 wrote:

For tow vehicles or travel trailers?

Travel trailers, no.
Send the VIN to the manufacturer and they can respond with a build sheet, if they are willing to take the time to look it up in their system.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a 3 year old thread, he has probably figured it out by now.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

jamesonbolt
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried vinpit.com? You can use VIN decoding for free as I was able to get my car report without having to pay. A good alternative to paid services, especially if you need to save money.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
Matt1221 wrote:

For what, a tow vehicle or travel trailer?

X2!
What are you trying to decode.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Matt1221 wrote:

For what, a tow vehicle or travel trailer?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

VegasNitro
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
Vin Decoder don't give options. Make, Model, Year, Engine, Factory built at, and that's about it. You need a window sticker to know the options. Window stickers may be available, but I don't know where.

That's all the free VIN decoders online will tell you. There are paid VIN decoder services that will tell you every factory installed option or package, color of vehicle, date of manufacture (important for recalls), basically everything the factory knew about the vehicle as it rolled off the line. The newer the vehicle the more accurate these tools will be, it might not work so well on a 57 Vette, but it will work very well on a recent vehicle. You better believe the VIN will tell you if that's a real GMC Denali, or just the badges someone put on later to fool the neighbors. It will not tell you dealer installed options, so no way to know if it got the undercoating or scotch guard treatments LOL. These are tools that dealerships use while they are getting a value for your trade-in or before they bid on a car at auction. If your F250 is red but the VIN is coded white, they are going to have questions or further depreciate the value of your trade.

I am not aware of a VIN decoder for TTs though, which I think was the OPs question.

Edited for spelling and clarification.
2016 Keystone Sprinter 298FWRLS 5'er
2011 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
Vin Decoder don't give options. Make, Model, Year, Engine, Factory built at, and that's about it. You need a window sticker to know the options. Window stickers may be available, but I don't know where.
What he said. Options are listed in code on th build sheet if you can find one.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Sure, if you drive a BMW.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III