cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this oxidation?

gouldc
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, looking for some guidance. I've owned my cruiser for 2 years now, covered but outdoors during the winter months. This year I noticed significant discolouration on the top of the front cap covering from the roof down a foot, the entire width of the unit. Is this oxidation? I went at it with Mcquires oxidation polish and it seemed to help but only slightly. I have a powered polisher that I'm willing to give a try but if it's the paint my efforts will be wasted. I've never owned an RV that wasn't white so this is new to me.

Appreciate the input.

https://imgur.com/a/gTgo4
03' Lariat F350, 6.0L Short Box *SOLD*
04' Jayco Eagle 28FKS *SOLD*

08' FX4 F350 6.4L Dually Long Box, Black on Black PICTURES
07' Keystone Raptor 3712TS PICTURES
Reese 18k Signature Series Hitch
13 REPLIES 13

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I just helped a friend with the same problem Thor and the dealer were moot as not our problem. We tried buffing it with 3m restorer and it cleaned Up nicely than we applied 2 coats of Collinite fleet wax.What I recommend is to try this method in an inconspicuous spot first. This unit stays in a pole barn when not in use so time will tell about the duration.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Harold Fairbanks II wrote:
Pay for indoor storage. Problem solved.

No RV will survive outside in the elements. NONE.
I'm looking for covered storage for my S&B
house. The elements are killing it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
They just don't make them like a "Layton" anymore. They have added
cutesie and dropped quality which attracted buyers. Oh, did I mention
they also added to the price.
Brian

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Ralph Cramden wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Looks like typical dark cap gel coat fade. Good luck trying to keep it gone after buffing and waxing.

Exactly what it is, have it painted or live with it. Those are the only real options.

Mine has done the same. I've had some success using 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer then a wax over it.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Harold Fairbanks II wrote:

My 89 Layton has been outside, uncovered it's entire life. How did it survive? Lol.:W:h:S
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
Looks like typical dark cap gel coat fade. Good luck trying to keep it gone after buffing and waxing.

Exactly what it is, have it painted or live with it. Those are the only real options.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
This has been a fairly common problem on trailer/5ver caps. UV's penetrate the and destroy the clear coat. Some products will re-moisturize and polish the clear but it will only look okay for a short time and will soon fade out again. The only lasting solution is to sand and repaint the cap. There are lots of posts regarding this problem.

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like tarp wear to me. I had the same.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
both good answers

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
gouldc wrote:
I've owned my cruiser for 2 years now, covered but outdoors during the winter months. This year I noticed significant discolouration on the top of the front cap covering from the roof down a foot, the entire width of the unit. Is this oxidation?

As one who has also used a cover over the winter months this strikes me as abrasion from the cover moving around and endlessly rubbing against the front wall surface. I'd try rubbing compound but if that doesn't work you may have to have that front panel repainted.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
gouldc wrote:
Hi everyone, looking for some guidance. I've owned my cruiser for 2 years now, covered but outdoors during the winter months. This year I noticed significant discolouration on the top of the front cap covering from the roof down a foot, the entire width of the unit. Is this oxidation? I went at it with Mcquires oxidation polish and it seemed to help but only slightly. I have a powered polisher that I'm willing to give a try but if it's the paint my efforts will be wasted. I've never owned an RV that wasn't white so this is new to me.

Appreciate the input.

https://imgur.com/a/gTgo4

Yes, looks like it to me. Use an oxidation remover. Best to apply with
one of those 10" orbital polishers. It needs to be a remover, you called it a polish? Most will polish or wax after removing the oxidation.
Brian