cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is Warranty Forever a good deal?

Chaz59
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new jayco jayflight, the dealer explained the forever warranty which has to be done yearly at a cost of 350.00 or more which covers most things as long as I have the yearly inspection done.
Do any of you have this warranty and is it worth the money?
Charles
16 REPLIES 16

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:
6.5 years later....

And still a shell game LOL.

oliviaolivv0101 wrote:
I wouldn't take Warranty Forever either

You don't "take" it, You get it. You don't pay up front to get it like other extended warranties, the dealer gives it to you when you buy a new unit. Then you're required to have certain maintenance done yearly, which you can not do yourself, in the hopes that you bring the rig back to the dealer who gave you the warranty forever. Highly technical things like check roof sealant, check bearing lube, check water heater and furnace. Basically visual inspections which the dealer can charge you hundreds for and if by chance it does need a sealant touch up or some grease they can then charge you hundreds more for that.

Its nothing more than a shell game / revenue generator for the dealers service department and it has about a million outs for the warranty provider.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
6.5 years later....
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
NO!

Jayco factory warranty is fine. Many components have 3+ years warranty. Annual $350+ is a ton of money for maintenance. Save that money and it will pay for repairs and a lot of camping fees too.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
I think you'd be much better off banking the $350 a year and putting it towards any repair needed.
My TT is middle of the road quality wise. Had I bought a warranty like that it would have been a complete waste of money.
I never buy extended warranty's. At this point, even if I have a major repair on anything we have, I am money ahead.
These warranty company's make a lot of money playing the odds.

Totally agree with this. I decline all tire warranties and am in the ballpark of 350 dollars ahead after replacing one tire myself. Having 4 vehicles that get tires replaced the dollars add up quickly.
Life was ok before extended warranties and will be after they are declined. Consumer reports says 73% of extended warranties are NEVER used.
To me they are like time shares...you pay and pay and get very little.

Chaz59
Explorer
Explorer
I called the warranty company and asked where were my nearest authorized service dealers, they could not give me a list and said anyone can inspect that is certified. I was not impressed the customer service, along with your comments I will pocket the 350.00 and save for a rainy day.
Thanks guys
Charles

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
My dealer offered the "free warranty forever" also, it's their big sales pitch. The fine print is, it doesn't cover much at all and requires annual inspections.

I personally opted for a true 5 year extended warranty that covers all the major appliances. But of course it wasn't free.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you ever heard of anyone selling a product to lose money on it ?
Ask for a copy of this warranty so you can your atty review the fine print in it.
See how fast they make you a copy, the whole entire copy.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
stallsmi wrote:
I think the OP has confused some things. Warranty Forever requires no annual premium (the dealer includes the one-time cost in the unit). It does, however, require annual maintenance that your dealer may charge $350. However, that maintenance can be done by ANY professional RV shop and rates vary (my dealer wanted $250). It is maintenance that you would (or should) normally have done. As long as you have the annual maintenance/inspection, the warranty is renewed for another year at no additional cost. I bought my unit from a dealer offering Warranty Forever, but I have the annuals done by another shop (who I trust far more than the dealer). In the two years I have had it, I send them my invoice showing the maintenance and inspections done, and they send me a renewal notice. I cannot, however, vouch for their service as I have yet to have a claim. However, read their info and/or go to their website for more info.

Can you fix anything that they find wrong, or does a service center have to do it?
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Community Alumni
Not applicable
http://rvdailyreport.com/industry/new-lifetime-warranty-set-to-revolutionize-the-rv-market/

Read this and decide for yourself. Specifically the part titled "Triple benefit for dealers." I'll withhold my opinion on extended warranties. Also don't forget the Jayco will come with a 2 year warranty from the factory already. Be sure to read the exclusions section of the forever warranty. A lot of times people don't figure out what's not covered until that part fails. Personally I would pocket the money for future repairs outside of the warranty period and use insurance for big ticket items.

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP has confused some things. Warranty Forever requires no annual premium (the dealer includes the one-time cost in the unit). It does, however, require annual maintenance that your dealer may charge $350. However, that maintenance can be done by ANY professional RV shop and rates vary (my dealer wanted $250). It is maintenance that you would (or should) normally have done. As long as you have the annual maintenance/inspection, the warranty is renewed for another year at no additional cost. I bought my unit from a dealer offering Warranty Forever, but I have the annuals done by another shop (who I trust far more than the dealer). In the two years I have had it, I send them my invoice showing the maintenance and inspections done, and they send me a renewal notice. I cannot, however, vouch for their service as I have yet to have a claim. However, read their info and/or go to their website for more info.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think you'd be much better off banking the $350 a year and putting it towards any repair needed.
My TT is middle of the road quality wise. Had I bought a warranty like that it would have been a complete waste of money.
I never buy extended warranty's. At this point, even if I have a major repair on anything we have, I am money ahead.
These warranty company's make a lot of money playing the odds.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Although a few people come out ahead with an extended warranty, mathematically it is a losing proposition.

Will the annual cost always be guaranteed at $350 or will it rise? Factor in the cost of the annual inspection and all the nit-pick things they will require you to allow them to fix in order to keep the warranty.

It sounds like a great deal for the people selling the "warranty forever".

It's a great profit center.
Between the yearly costs, the deductible, the exclusions, etc it's hard for them not to make money.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Chaz59 wrote:
I just bought a new jayco jayflight, the dealer explained the forever warranty which has to be done yearly at a cost of 350.00 or more which covers most things as long as I have the yearly inspection done.
Do any of you have this warranty and is it worth the money?

Just earlier this week I saw (another forum) someone paying $200/year for that....
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.