cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping fridge door open while in storage

LASilvey
Explorer
Explorer
We always store our trailer with the fridge open however we will be switching to an indoor facility and they may shift the units around while in storage. My question is, while there's a hundred ways to keep your door open while the rig is still, does anyone else have this situation and a good way to keep the door open yet not banging open/closed in the event the trailer moves? Thank you!
2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
1 Hard working hubby/daddy
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby
34 REPLIES 34

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
LASilvey wrote:
We always store our trailer with the fridge open however we will be switching to an indoor facility and they may shift the units around while in storage. My question is, while there's a hundred ways to keep your door open while the rig is still, does anyone else have this situation and a good way to keep the door open yet not banging open/closed in the event the trailer moves? Thank you!

I would be more concerned about the possibility of having some nose picking tweaker that just made a career change from Burger King Frytech to Storage Facility Executive, whose towing and driving experience consists of Matchbox cars when he was 9, shifting my stuff around a crowded storage facility.

Jam a block of 2x4 in the fridge doors and wrap some bungees around it to hold them in place.
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
When I leave my AZ home for the summer, I fill the refrigerator and freezer with crumpled up brown paper and keep the door shut after thoroughly cleaning and drying it. Been doing it for years. Leaving the door open when it's hot (I leave the A/C on 88 degrees F) can dry out the gasket if the door is left open.
In my RV I leave my refrigerator running all the time but if I were to leave it off, I'd do the same.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use a bungee cord and the pantry door.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be more worried about someone moving my trialer without me there than my door possibly closing on its own.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

LASilvey
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
LASilvey wrote:
My door has pins you can extend to keep the door from closing however, they don't keep it from swinging open if the rig moves.
Norcold has a slot in the door jam for the pin to slide into to hold the door slightly open.

Ok, I'm gonna have to double check my door because I know about the pins but have never noticed a slot to keep the door open solid! I've seen the little cards but those only seem to work for Dometic.
2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
1 Hard working hubby/daddy
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
If the refrigerator is good and dry, closing the door while in storage won’t hurt it. We stored ours in a hot field in Florida every summer and after a thorough cleaning and drying for 24 hours I closed the door and never had any issues. Mice and roaches maybe, but the frig was fine. 🙂
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used bunji cords when I moved our trailer with the fridge doors open. Works very well and never had any damage at all.
I would hook both the fridge and the freezer doors open.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I just use a chunk of styrofoam (of which there is far too much around!) inserted into the door opening and secured with a piece of packing tape. Place it along the top edge to prevent it slipping.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Velcro....for your shoes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Explorer II
Explorer II
The blue clips are for a Dometic fridge
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
2112 wrote:
LASilvey wrote:
My door has pins you can extend to keep the door from closing however, they don't keep it from swinging open if the rig moves.
Norcold has a slot in the door jam for the pin to slide into to hold the door slightly open.
Exactly, that's how mine work also. They extend into a little hole to keep the door from moving.

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Those blue clips do not stay when moving the trailer. Good luck with them. I'd be looking for another solution. Like the foam and bungie concept.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

Explorer II
Explorer II
LASilvey wrote:
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine came with clips Like These snap on and holds door open and doesn't swing out.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a dollar store and get some pool noodles. They have many uses. Good to let the kids beat each other with, among other uses.
Cut a noodle to desired length, then split it. Push the split over the door or frame edge. Tape it in place if needed, using painters tape to minimize residue when removed.
I’d also use the painters tape to hold the door semi shut in case the RV gets moved.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,