cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping low point drain from freezing

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
We will be camping next week in Pigeon Forge and they are predicting a few nights of temps down around 17. We have heated tanks but our low point drains are exposed and in the past they have froze. In cases where it is going to be around 28-32 we turn on the heated tanks and let the water run a little in the tub to keep from freezing. But with the temps down in the teens I am afraid to let the water run in the event it freezes in the pipe to the sewer. So we are expecting to disconnect from the campground water overnight. Like I said in the past when we have done this our low points froze and I was out with hair dryer to unfreeze.

So long story short what has everyone done to keep these from freezing?

Thank you for any and all suggestions.
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller
15 REPLIES 15

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
My fresh water tank drain hangs down, I would fashion an insulating cover, such as one would put over a freeze faucet on side of house (basically a Styrofoam oversized cup. For my low point drains, the valve is inside and I have insulation around them. If concerned, fashion something similar for them. It would be easy to run a cord down from inside on my trailer to put a small light bulb there if needed.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
My fresh water tank drain is on the bottom of the tank. There is a very short piece of PEX with a inline Flair-it valve. For it I use an outdoor faucet cover hooked to the valve stem. Never had any problems with it freezing with temp in the teens at night and the occasional 10 to 12 degrees at night. My FW tank is heated by a hole in the heat duct passing over it but only has coroplast on the bottom.

For my low point drains there are Flair-it angle valves under the kitchen sink where they go through the floor. The plywood floor was drilled out large enough for the outlet nuts on the valves to fit snuggly into the holes. You might be able to do something similar or you might see if you can attach an eye hook between the low points and then use an outdoor faucet cover over them.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
NEVER EVER trickle the water in the rig to keep supply hose and in house plumbing from freezing. That will work for that purpose, but what about the waste hose? Now that the water is moving ever so slowly through that big 3" slinky it will freeze solid, back up into your holding tanks so you wake to a flooded rig! DO NOT TRICKLE!
Nevermind that in in doing so you waste several hundred gallons of camp water a night, its to save you from disaster!

Its simple. Fill your onboard fresh water tank as needed, then use your pump. Thats what the tank is for, besides dry camping.

To thaw waste valves and low point drains, cut a cardboard box open to slide around the area, close the cut out wedge it up tight against the underbelly, cut a hole for a hair dryer to stick in the hole. Then wait.

Modern RVs use pex piping that can withstand freezing many times without failure. If yours is plumbed with PEX, relax. Thaw it out when you want to winterize.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also , If you have an outside shower or outside kitchen, I would drain them.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Either relocate the low point drains inside or add a second valve inside.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
this has brought up a question in my head.

my camper is winterized and under cover in the barn, but even after draining the fresh tank and WH, pumping antifreeze into the system, could this still leave some water in the low drains ??

I don't see how antifreeze could get in the low drain.

I think I better pull the plugs on those tonight.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
For ONE night in Demming, NM, it went down to 18 degrees. Totally unexpected. My motor home, IMO is simply not made for that kind of temperature.

We did not unhook the hose, rather kept a dribble of water (cold and hot) running in the kitchen and bathroom sinks...and after removing the shower head, did the same with that. We had the propane heater running...and opening the lower kitchen cabinet doors, and a space heater aimed right at that area inside....I thought to keep the pipes in or under there from freezing. Needless to say, I didn't sleep soundly that nite. Left the gray water drain open. But::::

Evidently it worked. Left that campground around 9 and all was well. Same day, Phoenix AZ. 73 degrees. Hooked up...just fine. Until....the next morning.
I'm up early did my thing and am on the laptop. Wife gets up...starts yelling FLOOD! In the bathroom, the water supply hose to the toilet had a clean, razor slit about 3 inches long. Ran outside, turned off the water and watched Niagara Falls flowing out of the side of the motorhome.

8AM Sunday morning. Home Depot was open. Got some garden hose, cut it to size and installed with hose clamps. (Still there years later!)
Carpet took a few days to dry...but dry it did and apparently no harm done.

Now...the toilet supply hose is a good 2 feet from the wall...but the piping in the wall were fine.

Go figure.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well in Dolly Wood, use a Dolly Parton over the low point drains! That is what I do.
AKA styrofoam faucet covers!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I actually was about to post a similar question. We are headed up there on the 28th, and I've been trying to think what I might need to do.. I had not even thought of those little drains. I guess I'll just insulate them.

With an enclosed underbelly, and the heat on, will that keep the pipes from freezing?? Will my water tank freeze?? I was planning on disconnecting the hose after filling up.

Us Southerners aren't used to having to deal with this ๐Ÿ™‚ But we are hoping to see some snow!
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
love2rvcamp wrote:
We will be camping next week in Pigeon Forge and they are predicting a few nights of temps down around 17. We have heated tanks but our low point drains are exposed and in the past they have froze. In cases where it is going to be around 28-32 we turn on the heated tanks and let the water run a little in the tub to keep from freezing. But with the temps down in the teens I am afraid to let the water run in the event it freezes in the pipe to the sewer. So we are expecting to disconnect from the campground water overnight. Like I said in the past when we have done this our low points froze and I was out with hair dryer to unfreeze.

So long story short what has everyone done to keep these from freezing?

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

I have a 3w incandescent night light bulb tied between the hot and cold low point. It comes on at 10F ambient.

Over both drains and the bulb have a thick foam outdoor hose bib insulator.

Don't know where your drains are, mine are near the sewer just behind the wheel. First time I used the hose bib cover it filled with water from the road. Now it has better drainage.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
PA used to hang a 75w lght blub on our outside faucets never froze.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have wrapped my low-points with foam pipe insulation, from bottom of drain pipe to bottom of corroplast, enclosing the shut-offs, and sealing with electrical tape. Worked for me down to low 20s.

Jerry

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
you could get some plumbing heat tape and wrap any exposed pipes they have short 3ft ones if that's all you need. they are low wattage as long as you have power. plumbing heat tape

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
'Low point drain' usually refers to the fresh water system.
Are you talking about the waste water drains?