cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keyless vehicles

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
My DH wants to know how you get in your vehicle if it is locked when the battery dies when you have no key to open the door??
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
45 REPLIES 45

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Switches do fail sometimes. I have replaced a few in the last 45 years. The last one on my Blazer a while back. Cost me less than 4.00 and I fixed it in my driveway with simple hand tools.

I really doubt such a fix will be posible with these new switches.

IT IS GOING TO BE ANOTHER HUGE PROFIT CENTER FOR THE DEALERS.

Not an issue if you always are under warranty.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mountain Mama wrote:
YouTube is your friend, we learned!

Owners manual is a great place for any new vehicle owner to start.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I seldom lock my truck and I find with the keyless fob I often throw the fob on the console and end up leaving the truck unlocked with the fob in it.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
No wonder itโ€™s complicated! :B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Bedlam
Bumpyroad wrote:
can I "assume" that those who consider the "greatly enlarged" key fob to be unacceptable, dumped their large smart phone for a nice small flip phone?
bumpy

My phone goes into a jacket pocket and keys go in my pants packet. Even if the phone were smaller, I would not be sitting on it.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
My iPhone XR has a โ€œDo not disturb while drivingโ€ much like our Garmin GPS unit. I use it. We have satellite radio but very seldom change the station or volume. Takes discipline but well worth the effort. The only real distraction in our rig is the constant chatter from somewhere in my truck. :B

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
can I "assume" that those who consider the "greatly enlarged" key fob to be unacceptable, dumped their large smart phone for a nice small flip phone?
bumpy

Bedlam
fj12ryder wrote:
If you all like them I don't really care. To me they are a "convenience", and one I can easily live without. Complexity in all things is not necessarily a good thing. Free country, don'cha know.

I work with technology and security daily which is why I prefer to not have these devices in my vehicle. Manufacturers are behind the technology curve and do not provide a reliable upgrade or remediation path when problems are discovered. Anyone that keeps vehicles beyond the warranty period and has had failures knows the cost and difficulty of getting replacement parts. Sometimes it is the scarcity of the device while other times it is the unavailability of programming tools.

Touch screen displays to me are very much a distraction. You cannot use tactical feel to select the correct control and must divert your driving attention. I even feel Ram could have done better with its physical buttons - Ford has a different texture or pattern on the button face so you know which button by feel.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:
That is evolving as well. Audiโ€™s virtual cockpit uses a CRT screen in place of the normal instrument panel that can be configured many different ways, including conventional instrumentation. Most of the central flat screen functions including a nav system that can use either conventional map or Google Earth display can be transferred to that screen and accessed through the steering wheel. They still use regular knobs and switches for things like climate control, lights, etc. You can do without it, but it sure is nice.

Our 2016 Ram Laramie has many of the same functions, that and steering wheel controls. Used correctly technology adds to safety. While in our 2001 Ram we had a Parrot device, a blue tooth device for hands free phone use. The Ram is one step better as the control is on the steering wheel. While it also has a voice to text, and will also change incoming text to audio. While many would consider this distracted driving, if hands donโ€™t leave wheel and eyes donโ€™t road and mirrors hardly a distraction.
One other that is very nice to have is โ€œPark Senseโ€ knowing those inches with a good size truck is helpful.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
It's not just a matter of convenience, or having a new bell-and-whistle to tout in brochures. Automakers want to get rid of ignition switches because ignition switches have caused problems for years. Everything from random no-start conditions, to steering interlock problems, to GM's well known recall of defective switches.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
That is evolving as well. Audiโ€™s virtual cockpit uses a CRT screen in place of the normal instrument panel that can be configured many different ways, including conventional instrumentation. Most of the central flat screen functions including a nav system that can use either conventional map or Google Earth display can be transferred to that screen and accessed through the steering wheel. They still use regular knobs and switches for things like climate control, lights, etc. You can do without it, but it sure is nice.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
If you all like them I don't really care. To me they are a "convenience", and one I can easily live without. Complexity in all things is not necessarily a good thing. Free country, don'cha know.

have you/do you own a vehicle now that uses one? a 1939 hupmobile won't have these modern conveniences. other conveniences that are not in your hupmobile are electric windows, intermittent wipers, air conditioning, etc. try some.
bumpy ๐Ÿ™‚
Got 'em, can live without 'em. Reminds me of when the carmakers went to flatscreens for all the controls. Sure looked cool, but you had to take your eyes off the road and scroll through screens to turn the radio down, turn on the fan, etc. Really convenient.

Use 'em, don't use 'em. Matters to me not a whit.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

I'm the opposite. I like to evolve with the latest technology. In the '80s, solid state was hit or miss. Now, most of it is far more reliable and longer lasting than mechanical devices. Microprocessor control is the best thing going for our vehicles. If Ford would offer a hybrid F250 with a variable frequency drive like the Prius but capable of towing a TT or 5th wheel, I'd be first in line.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:

I really like the old ones better, they are now $5 to $10 each and easy to program.

I was pricing the "old" ones and the amazon ads are a trifle misleading, some of the $5/10 ones are the empty cases only. and easy to program???, I checked that out and there are multiple steps,etc. involved and there was a warning that if you messed up, then it called for a trip to a Lock$mith $$$$ to correct.
had the statement "DIY step by step self-programming instructions included, some vehicles require dealer or locksmith programming"
bumpy