cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keystone Bullet Premiere 19 FBPR Roof repair help

pjw73nh
Explorer
Explorer
Started my annual maintenance on my 2011 19' FBPR Keystone Bullet Premiere TT.  While up on the roof sealing some questionable areas with self-leveling caulk, I found an 18" or so spot on the drivers side, above the slide where the underlayment material that wraps over the edge has "lifted".  As it rounds over the edge of the side to the top, it has pulled the roofing material away from the underlayment.   If I press down (as seen in the video) there is solid material underneath the lifted area. 

Pic & Video here

What is the best way to repair this?  I was thinking perhaps a row of 4-6 short, stainless screws with either rubber washers, or stainless fender washers (or maybe both) then either topped with self leveling caulk, or perhaps a 6" x 24" strip of roof repair material over the screws.

Any thoughts, much appreciated.  Thanks. 
1983 Coleman Columbia (sold)
1995 Coleman (Fleetwood) Sequoia (sold)
1984 Coleman Sun Valley (sold)
1996 Sunnybrook 26DB (Sold)
1999 Lance 1030 (sold)
2011 Keystone Bullet Premiere 19 FBPR (current)
5 REPLIES 5

A1RVTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Take some fender washers with self-tapping screws and screw it down. No reason to cut the rubber roof. Then cover the screws with self leveling Dicor or Etenabond tape.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
It looks like your roof is constructed the same as mine. There is an strip of aluminum rounded over the edge and fastened with either staples or small screws. That is probably what you are feeling when you press down on the rubber. As long as it doesn't pull out from the molding holding it down on the side I would leave it as is - that is if you think it has not leaked.

If you supect it has leaked or just want to get it back down, I would do as already posted and make a slit in the rubber, fix the situation under the rubber, and then glue it back down and cover with a 4" wide strip of Eternabond tape. I used that tape on my RV over 14 years ago and it still is holding today. Great stuff! 🙂
Here is where I purchased mine. They had the best price that I could find.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

pjw73nh
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both for your input. My only concern is what is under the "slit" that I make. It's difficult to describe. It feels to me, like there is an 18 -24 inch piece of something (thin wood, aluminum flashing ?) that is under the membrane. It is definitely a piece of "something". When I press down, the "panel" goes down as a whole and definitely hits something solid. Whether it's a roof truss, or another layer of paneling of some sort, I am not sure.

I am concerned that when I get it open, I may not have "correct/adequate surfaces to glue, and that I may need to use mechanical fasteners anyway.

A couple of more things. What type of contact cement would you recommend ? And lastly, I've heard of, but never used Eternabond. I went to their web site, and it appears that there are multiple products to choose from. Any recommendations on which one(s) to use ?

Thanks.

http://www.eternabond.com/RV-Leak-Repair-Products-s/22.htm
1983 Coleman Columbia (sold)
1995 Coleman (Fleetwood) Sequoia (sold)
1984 Coleman Sun Valley (sold)
1996 Sunnybrook 26DB (Sold)
1999 Lance 1030 (sold)
2011 Keystone Bullet Premiere 19 FBPR (current)

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
You could take a razor blade, cut a slit in the area of the delamination.
Reglue with contact cement, then cover the slit with Eternabond tape.
Just clean the surfaces off really well.

This is what I would do.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could take a razor blade, cut a slit in the area of the delamination.
Reglue with contact cement, then cover the slit with Eternabond tape.
Just clean the surfaces off really well.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY