cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kids and camper doors.

A390GT
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone here have any solutions/ mods for smaller kids (6and7) getting into the camper without falling down the steps?

i have two smaller guys that like to open the door by themselves, They have to climb to the top of 3 steps to operate the latch but when the door opens it knocks them down or pins them as they try to duck under as it swings openr

I dont think they ever planned for kids operating these doors....

Thanks for the help,

John

i have a 2016 whitehawk MBH24
20 REPLIES 20

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rv-co.com/
Tom & Carol

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Six and seven yo? Let them figure it out, should not hard for them.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
BulldawgFan wrote:

Kids want to learn and be independent.

Teach, explain, make the most of teachable moments, treat them with maturity and don't coddle.

You may be suprised.

Agreed.

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
Our 4 yr old goes to the top step, grabs door handle and unlatches, steps down to first step and opens, walks in and closes the door. No falls or issues. How did he figure that out? I showed him once when he was struggling to get in. He has had it from there.

Also, no worries about letting air out because he doesn't spend any more time with it open than mom or myself. Why? We have explained, you close the door behind you.

Kids want to learn and be independent.

Only time we almost had a fall was when he was leaning against the screen door from the inside. He caught himself and hasn't made that mistake again. I explained the screen door latch and showed him that it wasn't very strong.

Teach, explain, make the most of teachable moments, treat them with maturity and don't coddle.

You may be suprised.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
We have friends that use a second oversize step placed to the left of the steps so kiddos can step to the side and down while opening door.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500
29' Trail Sport
1 Worthless Choco-dog and WAAY worthless Puggle

A390GT
Explorer
Explorer
My camper, you really need to pull on the lever to open the door and it pops the door open faster than they can step down sometimes....my 4 (not 6) hasn't gotten hurt just takes a tumble once or twice before he rembers how to work the door.

Thanks, the cord seems like a good idea. I'll try that. I already have the factory folding hand rail.
John-

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
We also use an extra step platform to the side so they had more room to maneuver on the steps. My son learned that more important than opening and closing the door was to be careful about bending over near those doors. I rounded the sharp bottom corners to prevent any more bleeding injuries to his noggin.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
I think the main issue with some campers doors is that instead of a closure that pulls the door closed the hydraulic cylinder pushes the main door open. Mine opens with enough force to knock a small child.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the door would be like that.

For the OP, I have 3 grandkids, 4 to 10, who have been glamping for 3 years. As far as I know, none have been hurt by opening the door. There are only 2 steps, though and a large Stromberg handle to hold onto. Maybe that's the difference.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Our two step home screen door was too tall for the Grandkids so we put a knob at the bottom.

In your case the kids would stand and open the door a bit then step down and use lower handle from lower step.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
This might sound dick, but I have a 2 year old and a four year who practically live in the steps, it's like God's gift to them or something, they are obsessed. Could nstantly opening and closing the doors, my four year old opens it while my 2 year old climbs, still never fallen. I have a three step set of steps and they have never fallen once. If you have six and seven year olds falling, you might have bigger issues than fixing the steps.

After a few times of them letting the cold air out they quickly.learned what happens punishment wise, and magically they've pretty muched stopped opening the door. Maybe you should try that approach, telling them to stop?

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
I think the main issue with some campers doors is that instead of a closure that pulls the door closed the hydraulic cylinder pushes the main door open. Mine opens with enough force to knock a small child.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
APT wrote:
3 steps - isn't far to fall if they do. Let them figure it out.

I bought my TT when youngest juts turned 1. He will be 8 in 2 weeks. 1-3 years old I might be concerned with the problem stated. 6-7? Nah.

My kids, and grand kids have been opening screen doors all their lives, all kind of doors. Camper doors, house doors, building doors. All of them open out. None of them have fallen because the doors open out. they have to step back to open every one of them. Lets face it. screen doors open out. Just a fact of life. Better learn how to open them now. I don't see it changing any time soon.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
A piece of good cord attached to the handle really helps. If the latch is on the inside, bore a small hole to thread it to the outside, then attach a small knob to the end.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
I used paracord as well. Drilled through the handle on the screen door to attach it and it hangs down where they don't need to get on the steps to pull it. It attaches to an existing screw on the bottom of the door so it doesn't flap around.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ