cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance 865 vs 855

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
There's a couple campers for sale locally. An 855 and an 865. The 855 is a 2010 and the 865 is a 2012.

Lance lists the 865 for short bed half ton or bigger and the 855 for short bed 3/4 ton.

My question is, what, other than sizing it down a hair and removing some of the extras (second propane tank, second battery) did lance do to drop the weight?

What I am getting at is, did they use lighter grade construction to make it lighter? Or, would the construction and strength be the same and they just shrunk it down a bit in length and potentially width and removed some of the extras inside.

The 865 is priced more attractively and it's newer, but the 855 is very well equipped. Our truck will handle either fine.
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"
7 REPLIES 7

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I would go to the Lance site and download brochures for both year models,
http://www.lancecamper.com/owner-support/
There's a lot of differences between the two. Construction wise brochures dont give a lot of detail. Seem similar but 500# difference of base weight even subtracting amenities (half the holding tank capacities, single lpg tank, narrower width etc.) I would assume some of that has to be in lighter weight construction.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
notsobigjoe wrote:
silverbullet555 wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
silverbullet555 wrote:
There's a couple campers for sale locally. An 855 and an 865. The 855 is a 2010 and the 865 is a 2012.

Lance lists the 865 for short bed half ton or bigger and the 855 for short bed 3/4 ton.

My question is, what, other than sizing it down a hair and removing some of the extras (second propane tank, second battery) did lance do to drop the weight?

What I am getting at is, did they use lighter grade construction to make it lighter? Or, would the construction and strength be the same and they just shrunk it down a bit in length and potentially width and removed some of the extras inside.
The 865 is priced more attractively and it's newer, but the 855 is very well equipped. Our truck will handle either fine.

I'm not part of the weight police whatsoever but I'd like to pass this on. My good friend from way back just bought a used Lance 650 for his dodge 1500, Not really sure of the specs of the truck. Anyway he had to beef up the rear end because as soon as he loaded it, it was over weighted. I know it's not the campers your asking about but I thought the info was pertinent. Good luck with your decision. PS, My buddy got the lightweight camper to beach camp and he loves it for that and it is very large inside for a tiny camper. Not for my big fat ass though... LOL

I'm not carrying it with a half ton. As in my sig, I have a 3/4 ton with a swaybar and helper springs and load range E tires, etc.

We have a truck camper already. Considering an upgrade.

Thanks, I didn't know there was such a thing as a signature. COOL...

It's all good. I appreciate your thoughts and insight. I am a rookie at campers and an expert at making things more difficult than they need to be!
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
silverbullet555 wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
silverbullet555 wrote:

I'm not part of the weight police whatsoever but I'd like to pass this on. My good friend from way back just bought a used Lance 650 for his dodge 1500, Not really sure of the specs of the truck. Anyway he had to beef up the rear end because as soon as he loaded it, it was over weighted. I know it's not the campers your asking about but I thought the info was pertinent. Good luck with your decision. PS, My buddy got the lightweight camper to beach camp and he loves it for that and it is very large inside for a tiny camper. Not for my big fat ass though... LOL

I'm not carrying it with a half ton. As in my sig, I have a 3/4 ton with a swaybar and helper springs and load range E tires, etc.

Thanks, I didn't know there was such a thing as a signature. COOL...

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
notsobigjoe wrote:
silverbullet555 wrote:

Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
silverbullet555 wrote:

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
This Lance brochure has a comparison chart. The 865 seems to be made out of different fiberglass and has a nose cap.

But the full charts show more differences including holding tank differences. You probably could find a 2012 brochure but this 2013 should be pretty close.

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2013_Lance_TC.pdf

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Both are old enough to have needed roof maintenance. Any evidence of it?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad