cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lance Umbilical Mod

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Lance truck campers come with a proprietary umbilical that has 8 gauge power cables built in. They recommend rewiring your truck so that you have 8 gauge to the alternator. I have found that this is a good recommendation due to power consumption of the fridge and charging of the batteries via your alternator.

I have recommended using their cable for a while but I have had serious issues with their plug slipping. It's terrifying to be driving down the highway in the middle of the night and have an 18 wheeler blast their horn at you because you have no tail lights. I had this happen enough times that I decided to go a slightly different route. I researched plugs and cables and found no alternative that had 14 gauge lights with 8 gauge power and I definitely didn't want to go back to the standard 7 way plug.

So I split the umbilical into two cables and two plugs.

After a lot of research I settled on these two waterproof plugs with solid latches. The Lance plugs rely on a flimsy latch built into the cover. Never again.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797MG7Q3
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZMB3PK

Since I was rewiring from battery to TC I decided to go with 6 Gauge just to make sure I had plenty of electron flow.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MD1ZGKO

Then I needed decent cable for the lights.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791JL4VT

I was going to combine both cables in heat shrink cable tubing but later decided against it. But I did use some heat shrink tubing to stiffen the cable near the plugs on the truck side, along with some silicone.

One thing I was worried about with these plugs is the tiny mounting holes and small bolts. It was going to be a pain to install directly into the bed so I made some mounting plates from white house electrical plates.

Here is the cable prior to hitting the heat gun on the sleeve.

Mounted in the bed

Full gallery here.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel
10 REPLIES 10

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Freep wrote:
burningman wrote:
Thereโ€™s a better thing to do.
Remove the RV style 7-flat-pin connectors and install big-truck style 7-round-pin plugs and connectors.

I looked at those but they have a similar flaw to the lance plug. The latch is a function of the cover and the plug can pop out when driving over rough terrain. What I initially wanted was a plug that would screw into the receptacle but I didn't find a pair that were as heavy duty as the plugs I found. I really like the plugs I got.

I must disagree. They never come unplugged from semi trucks, and if youโ€™ve never been in a dump truck with Hendrickson suspension (which has no springs, just big solid rubber blocks) on a logging road, you donโ€™t even know what a harsh ride is. They pound with a violence no pickup truck can.
And those connectors donโ€™t come apart.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Freep wrote:
...I have recommended using their cable for a while but I have had serious issues with their plug slipping. It's terrifying to be driving down the highway in the middle of the night and have an 18 wheeler blast their horn at you because you have no tail lights.....

Nice upgrade. A solid fix.

That said... I have never had my factory Lance cable come unplugged. I don't think there is a systemic issue to address.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Remove the RV style 7-flat-pin connectors and install big-truck style 7-round-pin plugs and connectors.

I looked at those but they have a similar flaw to the lance plug. The latch is a function of the cover and the plug can pop out when driving over rough terrain. What I initially wanted was a plug that would screw into the receptacle but I didn't find a pair that were as heavy duty as the plugs I found. I really like the plugs I got.
2014 Lance 992

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the RV style 7-flat-pin connectors and install big-truck style 7-round-pin plugs and connectors. Theyโ€™re much more robust, reliable, and they accept heavier gauge wire. The good heavy duty ones will take 10-gauge.
8-gauge on the ground.
(Ground is bigger because there are a lot of 12v circuits, running lights, turn and stop, charging, etc that all supply +12V and all return through the same ground.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Freep:
Thank you for your excellent post with photos.
Unfortunately, others have turned it into a barf mess that should be cleaned up.
You might want to re-post it on the Lance Owners Forum where the post will be appreciated.
Thank you for your effort.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

tmartin000
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Nice looking upgrade.

I upgraded my system with Mega overkill charging leads

I am 100% going to copy this! Excellent idea!
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

specta
Explorer
Explorer
What year did Lance go to their own umbilical cord??
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Nice looking upgrade.

I upgraded my system with Mega overkill charging leads
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Ah figured it out.
2014 Lance 992

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Cant see your images ๐Ÿ˜ž