cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legitimate concern with ultralight flooring.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are about to leave for vacation in our 2020 Outback and have a viable concern with the flooring which is maybe 2" foam sandwiched between thin luan.

Here's where it gets interesting.
My youngest daughter "21" wants to bring her boyfriend who is an absolute mountain of a man at 6'4 420lbs.

They are staying in a tent beside us but will be in and out of trailer for a week.

It's a sensitive subject but do you keep this mammoth out of trailer or just roll with it ?

He's a super nice guy and don't want to hurt his feelings or upset daughter.
11 REPLIES 11

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
At a superlight 270 pounds, I find many of the entry level trailer floors inadequate. I placed half inch plywood on top of my Rockwood floor to get me to trade off time in the first year. It was sinking fast.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
Frank is not my name.

Does she call you Frank?
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same concern with my MIL. Luckily she can’t fit through the door of my new trailer and the steps can’t handle her bulk. I was Frank with her on my previous trailer and she agreed to not come in the 2 times she was at the CG. BTW, Frank is not my name.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want to be prepared in case of rain and wanting to get him inside. Some blocks of wood under the steps and bring a few 2' by 4' pieces of 1/2" plywood with you to put on the floor to get him to whatever seat he would occupy in the living room. The plywood will spread the weight over a larger area of floor.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Thankyou everyone for such civilized responses.
Wife said he knows his limitations and it's going to be a great time.

He actually brings his reinforced camp chair to family gatherings.

Thankyou.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend of similar size who camps with us sometimes. It was a concern for us too. Luckily he is aware of his size and doesn’t go in the trailer. There is nothing inside suitable to support that kind of weight. The floor is the least concern. Toilet, shower, dinette bench’s etc are all too flimsy to support that weight, as are the folding steps and door grab handle.

It warrants a gentle conversation.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I didn’t have the useless floor but I did have a dinette that was extremely weak. I beefed up the the dinette and politely asked a fellow camper to always sit right there. You have no option, but to prevent the likely damage, I’m sure he faced similar situations before and may be very understanding.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
up front no he can,t come in the trailer. some thing will give. most likely the commode and all the thin wood that holds it.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Is there an option to rent a larger, heavier duty rv and all stay together without concern for your trailer? If you are going to be camping in Va, how about a state park cabin? Dont set up an uncomfortable situation, fix it ahead of time.
Just looking, some are available, Yurts for example at Claytor Lake.

Edit add, Have you inquired with your units manufacturer about the floor and dinette limits? I'm not suggesting you embarrass him, just concerned he could be injured if a dinette gave.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Open and honest communication. How would he feel or you if he fell through the floor? I would explain the construction of the trailer to him and your concerns. The other alternative is to rent them a cabin where there is no need for them to go into the trailer. I had a ultralight with similar construction and traded it off after it's maiden voyage. The floor felt spongy for me and I'm half his weight.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously, are you sure he’ll fit through the door? And I’m not sure the outside steps will handle 420 pounds.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad