Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linoleum Floor Tears

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I have owned my trailer since new (with no problems) and stored it last Fall like I always do. I went out yesterday since the weather is warming up to check it out and noticed the linoleum tile ripped in several places. I first thought water damage but didn't see any discoloration on the subfloor and then vandalism but the tears go under the rear slide. It happened in several places from the furnace vent into the walls and the bathroom.
What could have caused this?
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851
20 REPLIES 20

GrandpaGrant
Explorer
Explorer
We had that happen to us and the insurance company said cold doesn't do it and they wouldn't cover it. We argued, they said no
05 Dodge Quadcab
2500 Cummins
long bed
08 Holiday Rambler
Savoy 34 SKD
Prodigy Brake
Reese dual cam hitch
Wife Cindy
3 kids
(1 at home)
9 Grandkids

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Red and white checkered table cloth. If that isn’t campin’ I don’t know what camping is.
Lol. What I did was stop by a craft store and had them cut that piece. It was easier and cheaper than tring to find a suitable table cloth.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I'm really bad with spelling but, isn't the title of this post saying that the linoleum floor is crying ?? I tried to look it up but, I got all confused.

"Tear" is an example of a homograph.

Thank You

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regular sheet vinyl flooring shrinks in cold temps and the colder it gets, the more it shrinks. That's a fundamental property and can't be avoided except for installing another type of material or maybe providing a little heat. It is more likely to crack at higher stress points like floor vents where there are sharp corners. It's not an uncommon occurrence over winter storage and you can find reports of it around this time every year.

One thing is for certain, the manufacturers will be using the cheapest of the cheap flooring material. It just needs to *look* good on display at a dealer or show.

A 100% free-floating laminate plank floor is a good solution as westend talks about above. It might be possible to cut some patch pieces out from below dinette seating, in the underbed storage, or under the shower/tub and then use seam sealer to make a permanent and almost invisible repair. But it could happen again. I installed laminate flooring in a previous TT and it made it look like a high-end unit. Recommended! 🙂

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Red and white checkered table cloth. If that isn’t campin’ I don’t know what camping is.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I'm really bad with spelling but, isn't the title of this post saying that the linoleum floor is crying ?? I tried to look it up but, I got all confused.

Somebody went to school, lol. Thanks, new word learned, today.:)

I don't think age has much to do with sheet vinyl parting because of wear. It probably has more to do with the quality of the sheet and the contraction being restricted by fixtures installed on top of the flooring. IOW, if the sheet vinyl was installed on the same size surface and the whole sheet allowed to expand and contract with temerature, there would be no tearing. Unfortunately, RV mfgs will install cheap goods and all install fixtures on top of the sheet.It is about installation efficiency.
If Mfgs chose a heavier sheet vinyl like Armstrong through color, there would be no tearing but cost is prohibitive and installation is more difficult.

When tearing in the original sheet happens it is a good opportunity to review other flooring options and choose a material that complies with owner satisfaction. For instance, I could install new sheet vinyl flooring with a good top wear layer in a few hours. I'd glue it down and no trim would be needed because I know how to cut to the wall or around fixtures.Most owners don't have the skills.

I reviewed the Allure flooring when choosing a material for my trailer. Unfortunately, the company was dealing with bad recycling issues in Indonesia, at that time. They state that they have changed the process but the stuff is still made in Indonesia and your guess as to how it is made. I didn't need my pets going bald or my lungs giving out.
I opted to use a composite wood/vinyl plank. I got the cheapest stuff on sale at Lumber liquidators because I wanted to see wear and age characteristics and I can install a new floor in an afternoon. The flooring I have has an attached rubber back and I used the best underlayment they sell. It is a click/lock system. I don't adhere to that 1/4" gap or the floor will buckle mantra. I've installed enough of this sort of plank in some very moist locations and have never had buckling or joint failure. After six years, the plank is like the day I installed it with very minimal "joint creep".

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
SUCH a baby caveman. Stop crying.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine also split this past winter,
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Expansion and contraction of the various building materials in your floor can cause the vinyl to split. It is highly unlikely you have linoleum.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sure. Flooring is petroleum based, correct?

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Probably with use the vinyl flooring gets scratches, dings and small cuts in the surface from wear and tear along with the occasional dropped knife or screw driver. Then winter comes along and the vinyl flooring begins to contract resulting in the vinyl tearing along those cuts and scratches which are now the weakest spots.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
yes, cold does it. Very common with boats as well.
During the winter I keep the inside above freezing and have not had this happen. At the same time my neighbor had the floor in his fishing boat split.