Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

long bed vs short bed for towing 5th wheel RV

Goofasap_
Explorer
Explorer
Will be looking to purchase a 5th wheel 30-37' & a tow vehicle
3/4 or 1 ton single axle diesel.
Looking for experiences and feedback for towing a 30-37' 5th wheel with either short 6' bed or long 8' bed.
I'm understanding with a short bed it would possibly require a sliding hitch....anyone with experiences on this?

Plus where's a good web site for me to determine tow capabilities of a 3/4 ton vs 1 ton, single axle vs dually.
39 REPLIES 39

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Awesome thread guys!
The level of obtusiveness (is that a word) is simply astounding!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Depends how you use the truck. For me it has to be a short bed due to my job. I'm in urban areas parking in tight spots regularly. No way I would get into many of the places I do with an extra 2' of bed behind me. I regularly parallel park on tight residential streets where there just isn't the length between cars for a long bed.

This is just a classic trade-off and depends how and where you use your truck. I have a slider hitch and am glad I do. I have a newer 5th that doesn't seem like it would ever hit my cab but I like having the ability to move the trailer back to prevent making contact on the back corners of my bed as I'm parking beside my house. My driveway slopes down pretty sharply from the street and as the trailer is going down and my rear wheels are still going up the driveway apron, it get pretty close.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Goofasap! wrote:
Will be looking to purchase a 5th wheel 30-37' & a tow vehicle

For a trailer that long, I'd go long bed, 1 ton for sure.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Greene728 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why compromise???

Either one is a compromise.

Please explain my compromise???

I have a rock solid B&W hitch that is attached directly to the frame in 4 places that I don't have to worry about sliding.

I have a HighwayProducts Top Quality 30" front to back bed height tool box for any tools I want to carry.

I have plenty of room besides in bed space.

I park anywhere "I" want.

I have a better ride and stability over comparable short bed.

OH ****!!! I can't fit it in my GARAGE. BUT, BUT on second thought I could if I removed the pool table from MY Garage.

Tell me my compromise with my short bed......

If he's too dense to figure out that the compromises go both ways, nobody is going to benefit from trying to explain it to him.

Yep. Not to mention everything he has is the best and he tows a combined 33,500 pounds. Lol

And another one.

Of course I think what I own is the best! If I find it’s not I buy what is.

I simply do my best NOT to compromise.

Nice this has turned about me. Why not tell the poor guy WHY you think a short or long bed is best like he asked ang give reasons why and let him decide.

Guess that’s too boring.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of defensive comments as usual.

Did I say one bad word about others owning short bed trucks???

Simply amazing.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why compromise???

I have a rock solid B&W hitch that is attached directly to the frame in 4 places that I don't have to worry about sliding.

I have a HighwayProducts Top Quality 30" front to back bed height tool box for any tools I want to carry.

OH ****!!! I can't fit it in my GARAGE. BUT, BUT on second thought I could if I removed the pool table from MY Garage.

If he's too dense to figure out that the compromises go both ways, nobody is going to benefit from trying to explain it to him.

Nice! Doesn’t take too long for the name calling.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why compromise???

I had a 77 GMC shortie, thought it LOOKED cool. Carpenter was my career, hated the short bed could not put 8' goods inside and lock up and there simply was never enough room.

That alone is plenty enough reason for me.

OH I built my garage door tall enough (8') to allow full height truck and my garage is a full 25' deep. So no compromise there!

Plain and simple why wouldn't a person want the most bed space???

I have 3-8' garage doors and both of my garage and 30' deep...what does that have to do with bed size? That just means I have way more space to store stuff behind my truck.
No one is saying that one is for everyone and one is not. Okay, you had a short bed and didn't like the fact that you couldn't lock 8' stuff in the bed. The way I see it you made it work somehow. It wouldn't matter if I had a 12' bed. I still wouldn't be able to lock the 8' stuff up because I can't have a cover on my truck. I would just own a dedicated cargo trailer for all my stuff and be done with it.

The question of why wouldn't someone want the most bed space....why don't you own a truck with a bigger bed. The bed on my service truck is 12' long with 4' tall bed sides with tool boxes the full height and length of the bed. The back bumper is another two feet long with tool storage in it. So I ask you , why not by a truck with a bed like that? I could mount a fifth wheel hutch right on the bumper and roll out.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been towing 37ft with my short bed for years. Not one problem.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why compromise???

Yep. Not to mention everything he has is the best and he tows a combined 33,500 pounds. Lol
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why compromise???

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why compromise???

I had a 77 GMC shortie, thought it LOOKED cool. Carpenter was my career, hated the short bed could not put 8' goods inside and lock up and there simply was never enough room.

OH I built my garage door tall enough (8') to allow full height truck and my garage is a full 25' deep. So no compromise there!

You made this "AGAIN" about "YOU", he asked about HIS compromise with HIS short bed .

I have had both long, and short beds, prefer the short bed. It seems like the long bed guys, make this about the room in the bed, please realize , some do not care about the room in the bed. I sure don't . I don't want a big tool box, I don't want nor need to haul 8' sheets or whatever in the bed.

I have a rock solid rail mount Andersen hitch, and no need for a crane, two people, or taking the hitch apart to remove. No compromise there, even eliminated the need for a slider .

As said I don't need or want a huge tool box that I can carry enough tools to build a house or overhaul a truck . I have a three drawer craftsman toolbox that sits in the basement of the fifth wheel that has everything I NEED .

When I built my house , the garage is 51' deep, and 9' on the door , can park any truck I want. It boils down to individual needs .I don't need , and don't want a long bed, its really that simple.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why compromise???

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why compromise???

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well i have always been a long bed person, see too many dented cabs on short beds. Without a slider and a pin less than 48" back from the cab, the width of the 5er nose will need be less than distance pin to back of cab, many times about 35".
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"