cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Box Pick up trucks.

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
For the first time in 30 yrs I need a long box pickup. Where the heck do you park these trucks? Every parking lot parking spot I have seen in the last few days is too short for a long box pickup truck.
61 REPLIES 61

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Pat wrote:
Keep in mind that you will need to be able to get out.
Cars could park close all around you.
Make sure you have an exit plan.

Considering how high mine sits and how it's built underneath, 4L and I could probably drive over a car......:B

ooops, didn't see that car over my hood....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trackrig wrote:
Been driving a long bed since 1983, very few parking problems. Certainly wouldn't buy a short bed.

Bill

A long bed in 1983 is nothing like the new crew cab long bed of today, that is why after four or five long beds we now that a CC SB RAM. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
In the back of the lot where there's less cars, and if it's not a pull through spot, back in it. And this is also why we have 3 vehicles for 2 people, the truck is hard to take many places.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that you will need to be able to get out.
Cars could park close all around you.
Make sure you have an exit plan.
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been driving a long bed since 1983, very few parking problems. Certainly wouldn't buy a short bed.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Have a long bed, crew cab.... I just pull in and take up two spaces. Then I can pull straight out. I park way out and just walk to door. Exercise good.
I have to watch turning on the road to go park tho... those curbs got me several times. Now I am fine.

Tankcar
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!
I have driven (2) full size P/U's first new Ford 1975 F-150, second new 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 HD's both over 300,000 miles. Kept F-150 for over 30 years, Dodge 21 years, and still going. I don't park in H/C or fire lanes. If it fits I park! Compac spots, and if there are 2 spots open next to each other you guess it. That white line is a bump in the road. If it a "k" rail that's something else.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Nowhere to park a long box in the tundra of Wisconsin? Seems odd. Lots of farms and such over there.

Here in the tundra of Michigan the guys with trucks park where ever they want.

Ones with compensation stacks coming through the bed usually take a minimum of four spots. Compensation stacks plus the rebel flag in the bed, they'll park lengthwise in the handicap area.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I do the 2 spot thing too. Don't even consider cars. They come up to about the middle of my doors anyway. My truck is almost 19 feet ling from the front bumper to the rear bumper, 20 feet with the hitch in the receiver.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Wait till you add the dually rear axle. I've always found a place to park, just park out of the way.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I park near the back of the lot.. in the nose to nose parking spaces.. and I park my supercab long bed F 250.. in the middle... but between the lines.

a 20 foot truck in a 30 foot parking space ๐Ÿ™‚

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Park farther out and take up a couple of spots if needed. We have DRW and have at times taken up 4 spots because the spots were tight.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
It may vary from one municipality to another but I think this is the adopted code for most places here the parking spot lines need to be 18 feet long and 9 feet wide, there needs to be 25ish feet between rows (I may be wrong on the 25 feet here but it is close to that). There are exceptions like compact car spaces but it is also stipulated like x amount per x number of total parking spaces are allowed. Sort of like the handicapped spots there are x number required per x number of spaces, Garage parking rules are different I think they have to be 10 feet wide and 20 feet long.

My truck is longer than either of those measurements. If I stick out I stick out which is every time I park in a lot as does any other vehicle that is longer the 18 feet.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
grizz272 wrote:
For the first time in 30 yrs I need a long box pickup. Where the heck do you park these trucks? Every parking lot parking spot I have seen in the last few days is too short for a long box pickup truck.

Drive it you will get use to the size!!
I back in to a lot of spaces, so it is easier to see pulling out, also parallel park on city streets.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Generally I try for a pull thru parking spot, two open slots that are head to head and I park in the center of them. If the store doesn't like this then they should have bigger spaces since so many people drive p/u these days. I do my best to avoid backing out of a space, that is a hazardous maneuver with the terrible back end visibility. With the new trucks having back end cameras this probably isn't as much of a problem. If I can't find a pull thru then I'll back into a space (or two) which is safer. Angle spaces are also good.

I have a back up camera that I need to install as soon as I figure out the no label wiring diagram.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper