cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at buying a 2011 STARCRAFT 256BHS good, bad, ugly?

Newbieatcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Been camping for years with my parents when I was younger. Now being married 2 kids the wife wants to get into camping.

I know I don’t want a pop up or a hybrid.

I found a 2011 Starcraft 256BHS for $7,500 at my local dealer.

It seems to be in great shape, no soft spots in the floor, can’t see any signs of water damage. Everything works as it should. It comes with a 1 year warranty on everything besides tires.

Any one have any info on these campers? Will it hold up well to 2 kids ages 2 and new born and a bull mastiff? Don’t want to spend to much to get our feet wet because we may love it or we may hate it.

I have a Dodge Ram 3500 CTD so towing it isn’t a concern-it will also have the weight distribution hitch and sway control. Any info would be great
21 REPLIES 21

Newbieatcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Brought the camper home today. Absolutely love it. Super easy to tow. Super easy to set up.

I had no idea where the table is the seats pull out and the table slides out which can easily add room for 2-3 more people.

Going to wash it tomorrow and clean up the inside a little bit and we will be ready to go camping

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Newbieatcamping wrote:
I was able to negotiate a lower price, both propane tanks will be filled, and they will also include hoses for sewer hook ups.

I will go there again today before I finalize anything and try to go over it all again. I still have to open the awning to make sure it’s not damaged. Yesterday was way to windy out.

Thanks for all the info so far guys. I have been searching high and low for the past few days and it seems this one is the best deal out there. Unless I wanted a pop up or hybrid.

Often dealers will add a starter hookup kit, some from the factory. 25' power cable, 10-12' sewer hose, 20-25' potable water hose.
You want to look into expanding that. Extra lengths of power, water, and sewer line may not always be needed but when they are?
Also a 15/20 amp to 30 amp adapter so you can plug your TT into your home circuits. WalMart & Amazon carry it all for much cheaper than your dealer.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Starcraft (made by Jayco) and love it.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Newbieatcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Newbieatcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to negotiate a lower price, both propane tanks will be filled, and they will also include hoses for sewer hook ups.

I will go there again today before I finalize anything and try to go over it all again. I still have to open the awning to make sure it’s not damaged. Yesterday was way to windy out.

Thanks for all the info so far guys. I have been searching high and low for the past few days and it seems this one is the best deal out there. Unless I wanted a pop up or hybrid.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I worked for a RV dealership who sold Starcraft. Back at that time, they had the least warranty issues of any of the brands they sold. This one looks very nice from the pictures you posted.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The layout is almost identical to my daughter's Jayco 28BHBE and they have 4 kids. The only think I will say is the bunks are small. Even though they are considered double bunks 2 teenagers would not fit.

They love the U-shape dinette.

The price seems high.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a Starcraft AR-One for 6 years before getting a slightly larger trailer. It was a no-frills but solidly built trailer. We never had a single problem with it. Someone mentioned tires...they can look great but be too old to be trustworthy. I’d look at those date codes, a blow out is no fun. Good luck!

Newbieatcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Newbieatcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Newbieatcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Newbieatcamping
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Looking at your photo, there appears to be some change in angles on the front right in the center behind the propane tanks, the tin doesnt seem to be at the same angles as at the sides. Look closely for water intrusion both in the forward storage compartment as well as any changes under the bed or on thatfront wall. May just be angle and light, but something looks off to me.
As to price, it seems within the range, but with the CoronaCrud issues going around, I would think dealers may be more apt to move a few units to gain access to some cash, I would offer less if this really looks like a unit you have an interest in, maybe $6k and see where it goes.
The trailer is actually a Starcraft Autumn Ridge 256BHS , Google that you will find nada and other pricing guides as well as other units for sale as comps, and the one your looking at already appears to be on the low end of the range price wise.
Happy motorin

I checked the best I could for water under all the compartments and I didn’t see any. I plan on going back tomorrow to open the awning and do a triple check. I’m having a hard time understanding about the angles and stuff. I will post up a few more pics

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Inspect carefully underneath with eye protection and a strong flashlight.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at your photo, there appears to be some change in angles on the front right in the center behind the propane tanks, the tin doesnt seem to be at the same angles as at the sides. Look closely for water intrusion both in the forward storage compartment as well as any changes under the bed or on thatfront wall. May just be angle and light, but something looks off to me.
As to price, it seems within the range, but with the CoronaCrud issues going around, I would think dealers may be more apt to move a few units to gain access to some cash, I would offer less if this really looks like a unit you have an interest in, maybe $6k and see where it goes.
The trailer is actually a Starcraft Autumn Ridge 256BHS , Google that you will find nada and other pricing guides as well as other units for sale as comps, and the one your looking at already appears to be on the low end of the range price wise.
Happy motorin